Drying curing guidance needed

Hello growmies. I wrapped up my first grow 11/28. It was extremely fun and I learned a ton about the grow cycle. If anyone wants to check out my journal it’s not too long a read, and I’m always looking for input to improve.

That brings me to this post. I pretty much can use any guidance through the drying and curing process I can.

I gave my plant the chop 11/28. I did a defoliation of fan leaves first. Then washed and setup to hang dry in my 2x2 tent. Night 1 we were sitting at 70 degrees and 68% rh. Day 2 we started the day at 73 degrees 45% rh, I got it stabilized at 70 degrees 55% rh by the end of the day. Currently we are stable at 70 degrees 55% humidity.
Uploading: 3E3F6B5A-DB8C-414D-89FB-91E45C05FB3B.jpeg…
Processing: 193229AC-82C0-4987-A8E8-7A9DDB551576.jpeg…
Uploading: A4634279-B843-4267-9563-0C96E52338A4.jpeg…
Uploading: C028705E-5A8E-4343-B8BD-A19AF44B95F0.jpeg…
Uploading: 80DE7A6F-90BE-4FBE-8B60-71469B312029.jpeg…

2 Likes

3 Likes

2 Likes

4 Likes

2 Likes

We are at day 3 of drying now My main question is in regards to sweating buds in cardboard. When to start? Pretty much everything. I have grove bags for after the dry just want to make sure the bud is at the right stage before bagging it.

As always any advice appreciated :+1:

I use paper bags and sweat for a few hours on each side. I start when buds reach 12% with my meter
Looking good btw

2 Likes

Good luck! My entire process documented here:

2 Likes

Depending on the humidity of the room where the tent is located, the humidity in the tent will drop each day. When I use a tent to dry I turn off the exhaust fan and only run a small fan to circulate the air. As humidity drops I may also turn the fan off to slow things down.
Congrats on the chop.

1 Like

Do you wait till big buds are 12% and sweat all. Or do you take the smaller buds and lard as they dry? How many bags per plant roughly do you use?

As always thank you for your input sir. Should I sweat all at once or do you start the smaller buds and larf first?

2 Likes

I sweat all at once.

4 Likes

Thank you :beers: I’m thinking it’s going to dry faster than 14 days. I’ve had issues with high humidity around 70% so I think I will keep at around 50% since I’ve been able to stabilize, I want to avoid potential mold or rot.I will start checking it on day 5 I’m thinking about a week but we will see.

1 Like

I checked buds tonight thankfully. The bigger buds are sitting around 11-12 on the moisture meter. I’ll be putting them in a cardboard box tonight. I have a couple different sizes. Approx how much room do I want in the box?

1 Like

Upon further review… haha. None of the stems would snap so I squished one of them tight onto the moisture probe and it gave me a reading of 16%. The bud is not very dense but it is super sticky and is already starting to smell good. I will be mainly trying to snap tea over the next couple days before using the meter again

2 Likes

6 days in the drying tent. Bigger buds are reading 9-11% a little crunchy. May have gone a day over on dry. Everything is going in a cardboard box to sweat. I’m using a diaper box I saw the idea in an old thread thanks for the idea @Borderryan22. I may need to rehydrate a little… buds are a little fluffy and we’re hard to test with the meter. How often should I be checking my sweat box for RH to see if I need to add some moisture back in?
As always growmies, any advice appreciated!

2 Likes

1 Like

At 9-11% on the wood moisture meter and mid 50’s on hygrometers, you can bag/jar and start curing. A few hours after doing that, you can check the hygrometer. If the rh starts to go up over 62%, open the bag/jar for a couple hours, then close it and check again periodically. Give it a little shake too so the air moves around the buds some too. If your rh starts going down, you can add a piece of orange peel (this can help with bringing out certain terpenes too), or a fresh leaf or two, and these will help with reconstitution of the moisture. And of course, check meters periodically.

2 Likes

Awesome! the hygrometer are reading from the air, I just put them in the box. I’m going to give it a couple hours in the box and see what the meters are sitting at. If they are still in the mid 50s I guess it time to go to trim jail and get them in the grove bags haha. Thanks for your help. :beers:

1 Like