Drying and Moisture meters

I am going to try to cure in the Grovebags, which requires you get the bud or stem ( need to clarify ) down to about 12% with the meter…Anyone have any experience with these bags and getting the moisture down to their recommend spec ? right now the buds have less moisture then the stem…thoughts ?

1 Like

Not sure where you are reading this but I dry mine to where the outside of my buds are just crispy trim them down from the stems and jar them using at least one hygrometer in per plant purposely picking the jar with the biggest buds. Allow them to sit in the jars for a few hours keeping a close eye on the hygrometer anything over 70% is not good anything under 55% is to dry. I bought a couple of the bags but I haven’t had a chance to try them out but will do the same thing with the bags as the jars except you are supposed to not have to burp them daily like a jar. Here’s a pic for quick reference
cannabis-harvest-curing-cheat-sheet

3 Likes

There is a huge post on grove bags. It’s located in the indoor harvest area has about 600 post. Long read but worth it.

5 Likes

If you do a search on here for grove bags, you’ll find a topic where they discuss this. I happen to read it yesterday.
Good luck! :+1:t2::v::sunglasses:

4 Likes

You stick the anodes of the moisture meter into the bud NOT the stem. And yes there is a thread on “grove bags” that should answer all ? If not, ask.

2 Likes

As far as drying goes I just hang in tent till the 11% mark than dry trim and put in bags and wait a month or so. It really is that simple.

4 Likes

I love the moisture meter. Dont have enough real expierance with drying enough plants to be able to trust when they are ready to bag. The meter removes all doubt for me. 1sr time I got it right was with the meter, no guesswork.

1 Like

I like it 50%-53%

I bet if you called tech support for Grove Bags I’d bet they could tell ya what % of moisture that would be.

1 Like

I pull handfuls out of a jar’s that reads 51%-53% that sits on a paper plate in my desk for 1 or 2 day and I think is perfect.

1 Like

@Audiofreak what meter are you using? This would take the guess work out of the equation.

1 Like

@KPC , this is the one most seem to be using and its inexpensive. Worked perfectly for me.

https://www.amazon.com/General-Tools-MMD4E-Moisture-High-Medium-Low/dp/B00275F5O2/ref=sr_1_5?_encoding=UTF8&c=ts&dchild=1&keywords=Moisture+Meters&qid=1627399433&s=hi&sr=1-5&ts_id=553270

4 Likes

This is the one I got, the other above is just as good. 1st time I used it in the cure and when it got to 11% bagged her. Rh was 58/62 in all bags. Still is.

4 Likes

Just ordered one thanks.

1 Like

I’m probably preaching to the choir but when not in use between harvests store without batteries installed as in all battery powered equipment. It’s easy to forget.

6 Likes

Also using lithium batteries are less prone to leakage. Such as energizer lithium. Different chemistry. Actually rechargeable NiMh will prevent leakage.
Never buy cheap batteries from dollar store. Think about the cost of damaged equipment vs cost of unit

3 Likes

I ordered this meter on Amazon after reading the whole thread (yessir it was worth it) “who’s using grove bags” I think it’s titled. Was supposed to be here September 19th but now they say it’s out for delivery in another town 60 miles away….
Can’t make this up

Just wanna say thanks here for that OTHER thread because if I ever get my meter, I’ll be pretty confident about filling them bags but not until then. It’s VERY cool to hear multiple members say how easy AND accurate this meter, measure, then bag it really is. After all the effort to get the stuff finished it’s super important to me to finish correctly. I like it.
TY all again

3 Likes

I guess someone rerouted my MM1E I ordered from Amazon and I must say it’s pretty simple to use and has replaceable probes to boot.
I am in the process of checking all my jars and if necessary they will go in my tent (62% 70 degrees) for a day or two (hopefully no more than that) and then into the grove bags.
The (2) 4x4 tents are gonna stay up until all this outside bud is close to 62 after its 48 dark and chop.
I finally read several strain descriptions of GDP in flower hoping to find something consistent.
Found great insights here on how to examine the calyx where the pistil attaches for best trichome pictures. Also seems the best high is at mostly cloudy which I’m pretty sure I’m at (7 weeks in flower) I’ve got my analog camera loaded with film and today I’ll get some pictures of all the outdoor flowers and hopefully make a sound decision about dark/chop on each.
Im looking forward to two things post holidays:
Growing indoors
No perpetual grow
It was good experience but took the fun out of it for sure.
Back to the basics in 2022

3 Likes

haha good stuff my moisture meter uses 9v batteries and ill use it for a few days to check moisture and store it until next harvest and never fails batteries is always dead :slight_smile:

3 Likes

So what’s the consensus on percentage point being ready for jars? Around 60-65%?
(moisture meter reading is what I mean))

1 Like