Drying and curing ……

Hi looking for advice on drying and curing
What’s a good indicator that it’s time to switch from drying to placing buds in a mason jar :jar:. Trying to avoid putting the buds in jar too soon. Also is there any benefit to letting the plants hang dry upside down opposed to using a drying rack

3 Likes

Get a wood moisture meter. When you get a reading of 12% the buds are ready to start curing. You get a slower dry hanging the whole plant or branches versus taking off the buds and drying them on a rack.

4 Likes

Definitely shoot for a slow drying period. 7 to 10 days , 65 to 69 Degrees would be good humidity 40 to 50 . Good luck :v:

5 Likes

I move mine from the drying closet to the jar when the buds still contain around 70% moisture. I check the moisture level by placing a few buds in a small jar with a hygrometer. 70% leaves some moisture for the burping/curing process. Some moisture is required to cure them properly as they wont cure if they are too dry. I always hang the colas and use a drying net for the rest. The only advantage I see to hanging is that you don’t end up with a flat spot on one side of the bud. The main idea is to stretch out the drying as long as possible (while avoiding mold) to give the chlorophyll a chance to dissipate. Other people here know more. I am still learning myself.

5 Likes

I always dry by hanging. Sometimes as a whole plant with leaves and all, sometimes separate branches with leaves trimmed off or anything in between. It depends on the overall humidity at the time.
As @Liviticus says,

I like to “sweat” them near the end of drying cycle by putting them in a plastic tote or any airtight container with a small hygrometer. If it reads high (mid 70-80%) after a day in there, I hang to dry some more and repeat until Rh holds at 62-65% then into Grove Bags to cure until they get smoked up.

8 Likes

I guess I am more old school. I use quart Mason jars and burp. I would be afraid to let a grove bag handle such a delicate process. I believe that curing is an art form. I like having full control. Not all buds cure equally. Although it is a pain when you have 20-30 jars from several different grows that all need to be burped and closed again with different lengths of time. I always use a 62% RH 2-way humidity pack in each jar to help maintain the moisture during the curing. Even then it seems some jars cure better than others. I guess you have to get a feel for it. Still learning.

4 Likes

I saw on here someone stated 7-10days. That’s extremely quick imo. I’d recommend, chopping the whole plant. Hanging upside down in a dark room @ 60-60. I personally let my hang until the branches snap but not splinter. Which is roughly 12-14 days. That in turn allows the chlorophyll to properly breakdown thus eliminating the harsh smoke. Also I would not be putting the eh packs in the jars until the rh in each jar is at 61%

3 Likes

I’m with @HMGRWN. After hanging I like to put it in a tote to sweat for a couple more days.
hanging out

These hung for 10 days and sweat in the tote for 4 - 5 more.

4 Likes

By the time your branches “snap but not splinter” your rh would have to be in the 50’s. Mine is. Far too dry to cure properly. (60-65 rh is ideal) What am I doing wrong?

I think we’re talking about two different things. The 12% is just a reading from a wood moisture meter stuck in the stems after drying at 60°/60% or as close as possible. Once you put that in the jars it’ll be around 60-65% RH, shooting for 62%.

2 Likes

Actually my rh was at 62% throughout the whole dry. Dropped to 60 at its lowest. So that’s not completely accurate

Imo waiting til stems snap is usually too long. Like many posting here, i like to use something that will give a reference to what is actually going on. Whether you’re placing in air tight container and seeing where rh equalizes, checking with meter, or just have an idea of what to expect from look and feel, monitor your buds! So many people want to just read that a long dry and cure process is best without considering any of the context. A long dry and slow cure is only best when conditions are ideal for it.

4 Likes

Mine in 30 Bell jars how long do you have to burp or vent. I do it every couple days and want to know when I can store them in a dark place.
Thanks….

Me too, after hanging and bagging, first. Jar in the 70% (by feel) and meter from there on.
Daily burping or tumbleout on screen. Forum threads guided my learning and current practice. Never dried and cured, always was dry and smoke. 10 ounces in jars doing the cure, over a month and most in the 60-65 range RH. Anxious and waiting. Encourage you ro read forum threads for curing routines and discussions.

3 Likes

Well said.

Been there for sure!
It took a while growing to get far enough ahead to actually ‘cure’ some.

4 Likes

I have a wood moisture meter, what would a 60 rh read on it,my first grow

You want a reading of 12% on that meter. Once you jar it to start curing that should put you in the 60-65% RH range.

1 Like

Thanks, :grinning:

1 Like

Hi @Outlaw My old moisture meter for woodworking has 3 wood settings for different types of wood and a paper/drywall. Each shows a different reading. Do you know which I should use? I was thinking the paper…

the one i ordderd has three settings too and would like to know witch to use also