Dry box fine tuning help

Howdy yall. So I am trying to make a dry box. I have achieved negative pressure and will be putting a couple layers of carbon filter either on the outside or inside of the fan.
My box is around 12.5" by 13.5" by 36.5" so that gives me a total of about 6,160 cubic inches convert that to 3.56 cubic feet to figure out the air changes/cycles per hour.

What I’d like to figure out is how many air cycles/changes should I have? I didn’t know if just putting holes down below for passive air would be enough? Or should I keep the 79.25CFM fan up top and put a 51 CFM fan down below for better circulation?
Or put the 51CFM fan up top since the higher powered fan might be too much?

1 Like

I have a small cabinet with two of those, one in flow one out flow.
Never had any problem.
Has a 150watt blurple inside.

I would say for drying one fan pulling out would be enough

Gotcha. Yeah when I put the filter on it definitely decreased the pressure. So I should be okay. Do you keep your little Blurpurple on while you dry?

2 Likes

I like whatcha did there!! The fan is working well pulling on the feather…60°f/60%rh 7-10days…golden.

I’m not sure why a blurple is used, but i personally would not heat the dry box …at all…
Wouldn’t the temps would skyrocket ??..that’s asking for aromas to collapse… possibly locking chlorophyll in the bud…

2 Likes

That is all above me. I cranked this bad boy with the bud and it dropped in down to 57 in the there so I turned it off.
Plus can’t keep it in the house because the smell permeates too much.
So I guess just check it every couple of hours. And hope for the best.
Also I used the filter from the Wedryer last year so maybe those are only good for one time.

No, I use it as a grow cabinet for a mother and clones.
I was just saying for me those little fans provide enough airflow to keep my grow space cool so they would be fine moving out humid air in that drying box. You don’t need or want a lot of air movement.
My room where I keep the grow tent is where I hang the chopped plants to dry.
As long as you are out of direct sunlight, or direct growlighting, you will be fine. It doesn’t need total darkness.

1 Like

I use fans as necessary to maintain proper RH (~60%) and temps (~68F.) The flower will dry in a week to 10 days with these conditions.

I hang a sweater dryer on the shower curtain rod in an unused bathroom. I’ll be drying a plant in the next few weeks. Ambient RH is 26% with the furnace running, so I’ll have to use a small humidifier in the bathroom to keep RH up.

1 Like

When I can use my 3x3 tent to dry, that is how I work it. When I first load the tent with freshly cut plants, its rh will be 80+. I turn on the exhaust till it drops to 70 ±, then turn it off. Repeat as necessary. I have a controller. Maybe next time I’ll set it up. For now I can manage it.

@Spiney_norman @MidwestGuy @CLICKYBONES @beardless
So after the dry happened inside the box was looking at 45% so when I dry trimmed them and jarred them I also stuck a tiny bit of tortilla in each too.
Now for the past 2 days I have been opening them to burp every 4 to 8 hours for 5 to 10/15min.
Now my readouts are 65, 70ish across the board. Since they are at almost the right humidity levels. And I know from reading that once they are stable at 62ish% for 24 then I don’t have to open them. Maybe only once a week or so.
Will that be enough time for the chlorophyll to dissipate and should be smelling that good dank smell.
I just don’t want to jar them up so long that it’ll smell like hay when I return to them.

1 Like

Tortilla - hadn’t thought of that. I used a few romaine lettuce leaves. Sounds like if you haven’t you can remove the tortilla. Burp a as you have been for a few more days then you should be able to back off to once or 2x a day. The hay / fresh cut grass small should go away.

Yeah this lady at the auto parts told me about the tortilla. Then it can touch the bud without risk of mold.
I took them out they were bone dry.
At what point do you change from daily burping to once a month?

1 Like