Driver orientation

Running 7 kingbright 240s with hlg-240H-48b drivers. I have them mounted out of the tent. I have been thinking my horizontal orientation may be incorrect on 6 of them. Should these be mounted vertically for proper heat dissipation? It will be a big deal to redo one of the boards with 5 drivers on it but the right way is the right way. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

@Hellraiser @dbrn32 @Covertgrower @Nicky @ anyone!

3 Likes

Sounds like you’ve got them setup nice just some airflow and you are good imo I keep a 6" fan blowing on my drivers

2 Likes

They are fine. Geck mine sit Ontop of my boards… And not vertically.
Also meanwell builds SOLID stuff.

2 Likes

Just wondering. I have seen some videos where they expressly said to orient them vertically for air flow but opinions do vary. I have a fan that blows across them when I have them cranked up in flower and dont let cabling lay across them.

1 Like

Yep should be good.

1 Like

Temp of your room where they are located?

1 Like

normally runs between 72-75 depending on time of year., 75 is not comfortable to me as this is now my office space as well so i try and keep it lower. Heater runs near the intakes when temps in the room drop.

Yeah no sweat don’t even need a fan on them but the fan will prolong their life.

I used to build PC’s and the Temps these chips can take us pretty crazy. If meanwell was worried you would see a more advanced heatsink on it

2 Likes

If your Temps were 158f then ide turn the fan on.
As that’s their operating temp so they need an environment cooler than that to dissipate heat.

Lots of wiggle room lol

1 Like

gotcha. They get pretty hot in flower and I have temp notes some place. Once flower hits and they are cranked I put the fan on them if not just to push the air towards the ac intake and out of the room.

By horizontal you mean with bottom of driver on wall, top facing out, with driver nameplate reading left to right? Should be fine like this.

1 Like

yes nameplate reading left to right. thank you.

2 Likes

I think it’s fine as the others said.