Dried buds in jars settled at 63% rh

Should the RH in the mason jars gradually decrease over time. Burped jars until the 63% was reached which was one shy of my 62% goal. No humidity pack used. It’s been over two weeks and the percentage has not budged. Yesterday I kept the jars open for about 20 minutes to see it would change. Within an hour after closing, it climbed back up to 63% with no change. The hygrometer drops to 55% when out of the jar so it’s working fine.
I know it’s a target percentage but should it be dropping gradually? I’m not too worried. Just want to know if it’s normal.

Be well…elliot

1 Like

It will drop, but only as much as you keep burping, and ever so gradually. I wouldn’t sweat where you are at.

3 Likes

Yep :point_up_2:. My amnesia has been curing for 2 months now. They started around 68% and are down to 63% now. So they gradually go down.

3 Likes

What kind of hygrometer? Mine is for a grow room or tent.

Keep burping. In my opinion that’s still a little too wet for smokable flower. If you were processing maybe a different story though.

2 Likes

@dbrn32 what is the target RH in a jar for prime smoking?

@UncleCharley I think 62 burns fine, but some people prefer high 50s.

1 Like

I’m with @salmoncreekbigbud. I use a 62% Boveda in my smoke jar.

I think how you smoke would give you some different ideals. But I’ve read a few articles that suggest 55% is ideal rh for properly cured buds. And a few that suggest a little higher. For storage a little higher than that isn’t a bad thing. Your daily stash will dry out a little faster than buds in storage under most circumstances. So your stuff will still be in plenty usable range after several days out of storage.

My preferred method is a fat hooter. But I would only do this if indulging in alcohol. ( I cant handle the intense highs any more). But this mellow bud may change this? Which would be good as I don’t indulge in alcohol but every 6-8 weeks.

1 Like

I feel like most will tell you between upper 50’s and lower 60’s pretty good tgere if properly cured. Wetter will burn slower and seems to have a little more flavor. Drier burns faster and draws a little smoother. There will probably be some sort of personal preference of balance there.

I’ve experienced both of those on many occassions just tried not to compress a good sticky bud whilst rolling it. I will enjoy testing the different Rh factors w/my friends. Thanks

1 Like

Just to clarify, If I vacuum seal my jars at 67-68% and put them away, will they mold? They’re taking so long to dry. I live just outside Chicago but house is always arounf 60% humidity. This could be dragging it out, but I understand a longer cure is a good thing? So my thought process is vacuum sealing on the high side before storing in a cool dry place. To use the traveling wilbury’s phrase. W/a good vacuum could be good for a couple to three years no?

1 Like

I would say that they will mold at that humidity. I’d keep burping til they drop. Or leave the lid off for a night and then put lid back on and check RH after a bit. That could help lower RH a few degrees.

1 Like

I agree with @salmoncreekbigbud, my belief is 62% is highest for storage and 50-55% is perfect for smoking.

1 Like