Dr.Evils ''moon rock breaker'' the puns continue!

elaborate on the 700ma because i have 2 hlg 60h 700ma
can i add to these? use with 560mm strips? 280mm?
https://youtu.be/aIuAQPKp4x0

1 Like

Pretty much. The only difference in operation between 560mm strips and 1120mm strips is voltage. So your 700ma driver can be configured for either.

The 280mm strips are same voltage as 560mm, but half the current for max. 700ma is max, so technically they can also be ran off the 700ma driver. Youā€™d probably want to give them a little more surface area on the aluminum, and would be almost 10% reduction in efficacy going 280mm at 700ma. But they would still be within data sheet specs.

Also, the way the drivers are sized is by watts. Hlg-185h-cxxxx is a 200 watt constant current driver. If output current is 1050ma then 200/1.050 is 190. Volts x amps = watts, so we invert the equation to fit what we need. Going to 700ma output current on a 200 watt driver means the available voltage will be higher. 286v in this case, so more voltage means we can fit more strips.

At 1050ma and 181v weā€™re like 190 watts. At 700ma the fv of strips drops to 44.2. Multiply by 6 strips = 265v. 265v x .7= 185 watts. Pretty much same difference.

Hereā€™s the kicker between the gen1 and gen 2 strips. On the 700ma hlg-185 the available voltage is 286. The slightly lower forward voltage of the gen 2 (40 volts) means that you could squeeze a 7th strip on that driver.

Whether or not thatā€™s important is entirely up to you. The gen 2 strips are more expensive, and adding another strip will cost more too. The difference is 185 watts at 156 lumens per watt, or 196 watts at 175 lumens per watt. Is that increase worth the extra $50 to you? $50 is just a guess too, I havenā€™t priced the 1120mm gen 2 strips.

2 Likes

iā€™ll be backā€¦

2 Likes

Counting on it haha

2 Likes

if i put two plates together and placed 8 1120mm strips side by side would that over heat ?
sorry i got caught up in honey doā€™s! lol

1 Like

Like a single light fixture running 8 strips? How big is each plate?

1 Like

4ft by two or three foot by 1/8ā€™ā€™

You should be able to run 8 strips on either of them at 700ma or 1050.

1 Like

8 strips on a single hlg 185c 1050?

1 Like

Oh sorry. I thought you were talking about how much aluminum you needed for the strips. 4 strips per driver, what I meant was you could do two drivers and 8 strips on either of those pieces of aluminum. There wouldā€™t be any reason to put two pieces of aluminum together.

1 Like

ok that sounds great!

1 Like

Have you been pricing out the strips? It looked like one of the places was going to quit carrying the gen 1 strip, but I think it was digikey. I got notice in email.

1 Like

iā€™ll probably use arrow again, @dbrn32 unless you know somewhere elseā€¦lol
arrow is freaky fast with getting your goods where you need themā€¦lol your hands!

2 Likes

having trouble uploading pics,not sure whyā€¦
iā€™m sure it has something to do with new screen configurationā€¦my gals are well as of now,maybe the pic thing will fix itself,maybe not.

Nope, I prefer arrow most of the time. Especially when theyā€™re running discount code. You just kind of have to watch their prices.

1 Like

hlg185-c1050a is on board dimmable will run 4 1120mm gen 1 or 2 strips ā€¦ correct?

1 Like

Yessir. There should be an h right after 185, but I know what you meant.

1 Like

ok,iā€™m heading there now to check things out

1 Like

Driver should be like $46 before 10% off. If they want $60+ can probably get somewhere else.

1 Like