Dr.Evils ''moon rock breaker'' the puns continue!

I understand. But watt for watt you’d have to remove almost a third of those strips. So extreme drop in par levels and there would definitely be more drop off with a 30ish% reduction in diode density. To be fair, we could add a third quantum board and drop the current there too. My point is that watt for watt, the “big advantage” to strips that often implied isn’t as big as made out to be.

I’m not downplaying the strips, I use them and like them. But they’re not necessarily better than anything else.

From led gardener? I seen an hlg-300 on killawatt at 277. Threading hairs I know

1 Like

just going off the HLG website it says 285. no this is a buddys strip build. its 10 strips run at 30w so you would only need to remove 1 strip to match power or 2 so yea almost 1/3 I guess.

1 Like

I was mistaken thinking that was par map from 18 strip light. My point doesn’t really change. The heights are different but results aren’t as much. And even a 10% reduction in power and diode count is going to put in favor in of the hlg-300 I would imagine. Which is supposedly not as good as the strips?

1 Like

TBH Im just going off others experience with them, that have switched from COBs to the strips or QBs to the strips and are experiencing better results with them. That could be highly subjective to many things so I wouldn’t take it as an absolute. Just an initial assessment

1 Like

I’m sure it is. Half of the people on riu couldn’t build a light without a detailed parts list, wiring diagram, and step by step directions. But they’re absolutely sure what they’re doing is way better than what anyone else is lol.

3 Likes

I dunno there are a lot of pretty badass lights on there. But yea there are definitely a lot of nubs. but that’s anywhere :wink: everybody has to start somewhere.

2 Likes

There are a lot of badass lights. There’s also a lot of cash croppers throwing money at people to make their stuff pimp. Newbs are newbs, they don’t bother many. It’s the ones that have watched every mau5 video twice, and with $300 invested into the led game are telling people how much better their light is than everyone else’s that’s irritating.

3 Likes

Yea I do agree on that part. There definitely is a lot of that running around. That’s why you have to filter out the bullshit, which usually seems to be around 50% on RUI or more. Which is why I browse a bunch of different forums. Each one has its pros and cons. but I definitely get what you’re saying.

1 Like

Really no matter what light you use, you’re gonna grow, with the exception of a few light types.

3 Likes

ok, @dbrn32 i believe i will go with 1120 again…lol
4- bxeb-l1120z-35e4000-c-b3
1-hlg-185-c1050
planning on running 8 strips on 2x4 flat stock
i’m thinking of building two of them…thoughts?

2 Likes

That’s kind of back to what we originally figured right? Numbers look good as far as fitting on driver.

1 Like

yea sorry @dbrn32,i’m chasing my tail a bit…lol
the transition to grave yard shift zapps me!!

3 Likes

No worries, I’m not complaining. Just wasn’t sure if we had been there, felt like we had.

1 Like

yea,we have…lol
i’m going to order tonight

2 Likes

Awesome! You know what I really like about what you’re doing, is that there’s room on that aluminum for adding later. Physically and thermallly. Hlg has the colored strips, and more strip options hitting market in general. So if you wanna tweak something in the future you can easily throw a couple of 660 or white 90 cri strips on there to give it a little extra boost towards a veg or flowering spectrum if you so wish.

2 Likes

i’ll be sure to center everything with equal spacing as well…

1 Like

You know last night when I had finished working on current lighting project and was just watching it drinking couple of beers I had another thought for you haha. What about doing your 4 1120mm strips long ways down the edges of your 2x4 plate, and then throwing some of those 90cri dual channel 280mm strips between them perpendicular?

Too much? Lol not trying to be a pain in your ass. Just seems like you had been looking for more.

3 Likes

Great info man, please advise what you do with all the resin that you collect, press? or heat?, to get into hash?

WOW, please tell me more, I’ve got 200g extra product that i wanna make into hash

1 Like