DownEast HIGHBUSH 2018

I am SURE that you have some VooDoo up your sleeve that will make these new ones fall right into line ! Your other grows sure have.

I picked up love of GG from @bob31 and gonna try it some time soon hopefully. Love the Blueberry as a replacement. That is one fine smoke and a great pairing with GG !

8 Likes

I thought you already did that Jerry. There still a lot of inexpensive And affordable Realty in the county that I live in. More and more states continue to legalize home cultivation for recreational use so you’re going to end up fine wherever you are. The short growing season here forces the indoor starting. I would much rather be able to just plant seeds right in the ground from the get-go but I don’t tolerate heat and humidity well. Say nothing of overpopulation and lack of sufficient water supply.

8 Likes

The deal in PA fell through due to a discrepancy in the titles and the surveys. They are still fighting about the borders for the land so I withdrew my offer when they couldn’t agree on the boundaries. They still do not have it settled. I am going to try to get up to NY in May or June this year to bury my mom who passed on in December and am planning on stopping up your way if I can. This last round of stuff the doctors put me through pretty well drained my energy.

I agree with you on just putting the seeds in the soil and let mother Nature do her thing. Much easier on you AND the plants.

8 Likes

My condolences on your mother that passed. I hope all is well. @TxGrowman

4 Likes

Sorry to hear of your loss as well.

4 Likes

That’s too bad about the deal in PA and your Mom, but your plan sounds good. My Dad died in 2012 before I had ever established any gardens here. He would have been proud.

8 Likes

OK transplant day for 6-8 of these root bound chickadees.

Off to Agway at 7:30-ish to be their first customer when they open at 8 and pick up a bale of ProMix and a few replacement saucers for the 3 gallon nursery pots that got damaged in storage or whatever the heck happened to them. I going for a more durable non disposable set altogether, since I have every intention of doing this annually. We’ll see what they’re trying to charge for them there first because they’re <$2/ea on line.

https://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-HGS10P-Premium-Saucer-10-Inch/dp/B008HV5NXS?tag=greenrel-20

The new Gorilla Glue and Blueberry I dropped a couple of days ago have broken the surface, but have not shed the shell just yet. I misted them all this morning.
Gorilla Glue

Blueberry

15 Likes

@Willd what’s your thoughts on handling the shell issues? Do you let nature take its course? @Screwauger and I are countering the shell by planting the root up after soaking.

2 Likes

I think 95% of the time they just fall off on their own. I soak them in straight well water from the tap for 48 hours & don’t wait for a taproot to emerge. After 48 hours I just dump the soaked seed(s) on top of the soil and push it 1/4-3/16" down into the mix with my pinky finger and then loosely cover. They always emerge 1-2 days later.
I’ve been know to remove a stubborn shell with tweezers.

7 Likes

I like nature to sort it out if possible. Less likely to mess up things. I only soak for 24hr maybe that needs to be tweaked. Everything is looking good @Willd

4 upgrades to 3 gallon nursery pots down!
L to R:
Purple Haze I, Gold Leaf, Jazz, Pineapple Haze

18 Likes

you are moving right along @Willd

5 Likes

Yes he is sir
He’s going to have a few trees in the yard this year hahaha @BIGE @Willd

6 Likes

I was thinking the same thing. :evergreen_tree:

2 Likes

I use the same saucers in my tent.
They are made of sturdy plastic

3 Likes

Ordered a 25 pk. that’ll give me 13 spares. woo hoo!

5 Likes

Or prepare you for summer 2019 grow with 25 plants…:crazy_face:

4 Likes

one law at a time Newbie, one law at a time… ha ha ha ha ha

4 Likes

Figured I’d throw it out there…hahaha

2 Likes

@Willd Have you ever tried scarification I think they call it? I scratched up the shell with a nail file on my Skywalker and it almost flew out of the shell. I was just wondering, that was the first time I ever used it but it seemed to work great. I have killed a plant trying to get a shell off one so I tried using the technique. Think I’ll stick with it, it worked so well. Jerry

5 Likes