Don't mail weed

I’m in California, a legal state, and sent a “gift” of weed to another person in California. I received a letter from the USPS Criminal Investigations Service:

UNITED STATES POSTAL INSPECTION SERVICE
Criminal investigations Service Center

The purpose of this letter is to advise you that pursuant to 39 US C 5 3001, and US. Postal Service Regulations, an item placed into the US. Postal Service mail stream is currently being withheld from delivery as there are reasonable grounds to believe its contents are nonmailable as proscribed in US. Postal Service Publication 52, Hazardous, Restricted, and Perishable Mail. Our attempts to contact you and the addressee to obtain additional information have been unsuccessful.

….

lf within twenty-one (21) calendar days of the date of this notice no action is taken by the sender or recipient (or their agent) to address the determination of nonmailability of the mail piece, it will be deemed abandoned or unclaimed pursuant to Postal Operations Manual, Section 691.584.

Manager
Criminal lnvestigation Service Center

2 Likes

This was mailed in a small shipping box. The weed was triple bagged in Ziplock Freezer bags.
Not sure if dogs or machines detected the contents. I had hoped they were too busy to examine my package.

As the letter says, I will not respond to them and will let this become “abandoned” mail.

4 Likes

Trust me it wont go un smoked! Happy US postal workers unite!

8 Likes

I’ve mailed weed hundreds of times, never had a problem, but ya never know. It would never be traced back to me as the sender though, not like I’m gonna put my real return address on it.

9 Likes

More people than you know send weed via usps. There’s a right and wrong way to do it as with everything

3 Likes

What is your recommended way to mail weed? Does ground coffee mask the smell? Vick’s menthol grease?

1 Like

This helps. I would not use anything like Vick’s for fear it would taint the flower.

There are activated carbon bags and vapor barrier bags for just this purpose. I mailed some to a friend with zero issues.

7 Likes

I use moisture/vapor barrier bags as well, washing the outer bag with some scented hand soap after I’m done with all the handling in case some smelly stuff transferred to the outer bag from my hands.

6 Likes

Vacuum seal 3times wash your hands each time you place in a new bag. Wash the last bag before use. Foil paper wrap that then place some random objects in the box with it

1 Like

Step 1: Do NOT put your return address on envelope

9 Likes

Ziplock isn’t scent proof. Try something like 2-3 layers of mylar bags washing with alcohol and then a cover scent after each bagging. Then something like coffee in breathable packaging along with. Made it 3/4 way across country…

6 Likes

The only thing about not putting a return address on it is that it instantly becomes suspicious, if they even have time this time of year to look. I don’t use the USPS because it is a federal entity and due to being illegal with the feds they are bound to stop it if discovered.

That said, I have mailed it in a Food Saver vacuum bag set in a bigger bag of New Mexico red chili powder. But that is hassle. I just use the sealed bags now. I use FedEx.

Another tip is let it sit in your vehicle for 30 mins to an hour. Then open the door. If it smells weedy, then you need to reconsider packaging. But honestly, right now the shipping companies are inundated with Christmas shipping and pandemic online grocery shopping. Just bad luck of the draw on getting caught now. For those of us who are used to living somewhat on the gray line of legality, it is a risk/reward thing we assume.

It is a risk no matter what you do. From what I understand if you keep it under an ounce less chance of getting in bigger trouble.

The funniest thing I have ever had happen was when we were stationed in Minnesota for three years and I got a gift of cannabis cookies from my son’s friend, whom I made a quilt for. The box was poorly wrapped, falling apart, cookies in nonsealed bag. When I stepped into the tiny post office in the tiny town we lived in, it reeked of weed. I had to keep an innocent look on my face as the elderly post office lady handed me the package at the counter. :rofl:

5 Likes

I put a return address on it, just not mine, lol. I use an apartment complex address and fake name with no apartment number. It’ll get sent back to the apt office and then thrown out or marked undeliverable.

8 Likes

First line of your comment is almost the most important. It definitely needs a return address to keep down suspicion. Bobby has a great idea using the apartment complex

Step 1 clearly stated not to put YOUR return address on the envelope.

1 Like

If you use FedEx you have to use ID. I don’t worry about it.

Edited to find this article. I stand corrected but still use FedEx as where I live I can get in out quick and there is no way I am going to use USPS right now in our virus riddled county as the lines are horrible. FedEx is zero lines and less risk.

1 Like

What happened to the last 1/4? Smoke it all on the way?

2 Likes

Haha. It was only being shipped 3/4 of the way, not coast to coast.

2 Likes

Ok I think we get it @R0ck. Each has their preferred method. And like someone said using FedEx have to show i.d. some people care and some dont

Sorry, I was just breaking balls but I got carried asway!