Don’t get caught napping!

First off, I want to make it clear that I’m only posting this in hope that maybe one person is motivated by my negligence. Those folks on the gulf coast are in a world of hurt, and my pathetic tale of self-inflicted woe is not even in the same zip code as what they’re going through.

Solely out of ego I let my outdoor container plants get too tall, putting them and all my hours of hard work on that hot ass deck this summer at risk.
I let it happen knowing full well that 5gal containers need to be sitting in a milk crate or tote. I’ll use 7 gals next year, as well as a mini-scrog like I did with the one you see.

At about 2:00am Tuesday, my bride woke me up by putting her iPhone in my face. I could barely make out in my post sleep haze that it was the Weather Bug storm tracker and a wicked storm cell was right over us with 50mph straight line winds.
I was planning on securing everything in preparation for some heavy buds on a couple of 7 foot GG4’s, but I completely whiffed and kept outing it off. The benevolent god of outdoor grows cut me a universe of slack, so I was able to get it secured today.
I had just bragged about how prepared we were when those bad storms rolled through and missed us by a few miles two weeks ago. I just never expected a summer storm to pop up like this at night, much less at 2:00 am.
When I stepped out on the deck, I realized I’d left the umbrella on the deck table up and it was trying to take off. It was raining so hard I couldn’t tell that almost all the plants were on the deck. The lightning was flashing like the scene in Frankenstein when the doc puts the juice to the monster. I was in shock, and everytime I‘d get one upright, another would blow down. I came within inches of letting them stay down, because I just knew I was about to get struck. I finally got them all against the house the best I could and went back inside and tried to sleep.

At day break it looked like it was going to be a bad day, but miraculously this handful of lower branches were the only casualties, and I cut them off.

So, I was planning building a frame and throwing a trellis net over them, when my wife said,
“Why don’t you just use the pergola?” What a woman.

5 Likes

It was probably better that they tipped. They could have snapped right in half if they were secured.

5 Likes

I would love to edit this thing but it ai I wasn’t permitted.

First off, I want to make it clear that I’m only posting this in hope that maybe one person is motivated by my negligence. Those folks on the gulf coast are in a world of hurt, and my pathetic tale of self-inflicted woe is not even in the same zip code as what they’re going through.

Solely out of ego I let my outdoor container plants get too tall, putting them and all my hours of hard work on that hot ass deck this summer at risk.
I let it happen knowing full well that 5gal containers need to be sitting in a milk crate or tote. I’ll use 7 gals next year, as well as a mini-scrog like I did with the one you see.

At about 2:00am Tuesday, my bride woke me up by putting her iPhone in my face. I could barely make out in my post sleep haze that it was the Weather Bug storm tracker and a wicked storm cell was right over us with 50mph straight line winds.
I was planning on securing everything in preparation for some heavy buds on a couple of 7 foot GG4’s, but I completely whiffed and kept outing it off. The benevolent god of outdoor grows cut me a universe of slack, so I was able to get it secured today.
I had just bragged about how prepared we were when those bad storms rolled through and missed us by a few miles two weeks ago. I just never expected a summer storm to pop up like this at night, much less at 2:00 am.
When I stepped out on the deck, I realized I’d left the umbrella on the deck table up and it was trying to take off. It was raining so hard I couldn’t tell that almost all the plants were on the deck. The lightning was flashing like the scene in Frankenstein when the doc puts the juice to the monster. I was in shock, and everytime I‘d get one upright, another would blow down. I came within inches of letting them stay down, because I just knew I was about to get struck. I finally got them all against the house the best I could and went back inside and tried to sleep.

At day break it looked like it was going to be a bad day, but miraculously this handful of lower branches were the only casualties, and I cut them off.

!

image|666x500 !

image|375x500

So, I was planning building a frame and throwing a trellis net over them, when my wife said,
“Why don’t you just use the pergola?” What a woman.

I didn’t have room for these, but they’re not nearly as tall.

!

image|666x500

1 Like

I had storm rip through here a couple weeks ago. I was out there trying to secure the girls. I feel you.
Glad they all made it.

1 Like

It was nuts,
Thanks!