Does this look like nutrient burn?

I hope someone can give some advice. I have plants that just sprouted about a month ago growing in soil outdoors. The leaves were starting to yellow, so I gave them some Fox Farm Grow Big using the recommended dosage for seedlings. 5/6 of my plants responded great to this, but one developed browning on the leaves that looked like nutrient burn to me:

I flushed her pretty good with water, but the newer leaves are starting to brown now as well. You can see this at the tips of the topmost leaves and developing more in the middle in this picture from today:

Does anyone have any advice?

Looks like you can be having a ph issue

Please fill this out so we can help determine what your dealing with

To create a grow support ticket we need some basic information to help diagnose the issue.

COPY/PASTE the below list into your forum post.
Answer these simple questions the best you can.
If you do not know, or do not use something; Just say so = NA
Strain; Type, Bag seed, or NA

Soil in pots, Hydroponic, or Coco?

System type?

PH of runoff or solution in reservoir?

What is strength of nutrient mix? EC, or TDS

Indoor or Outdoor

Light system, size?
Temps; Day, Night

Humidity; Day, Night

Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size

AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier,

Co2; Yes, No
If you can, upload a picture of your plant. It helps the diagnosis, if needed.

Add anything else you feel would help us give you a most informed answer. Feel free to elaborate, but short, to the point questions and facts will help us help you :slight_smile:

Thanks!
Latewood & the ILGM Grow Support Team

1 Like

@Scorp77

yes it is and you never feed seedling until they have 5 or 6 true sets of leaves. You got lucky with the other plants but this one got burned.

Here’s my pic of nutrient burn

Looks the same don’t ya think

Nutrient Burn is one of the MOST common mistakes a new grower makes,
reason for this is, because a newer grower will use a chemical nutrient
most of the time and listen to the directions on the box. This is a NO NO!
Depending on the age of the plant, size, strain and soil mixture you are using
also has a factor. There is no set guideline when using nutrients, but I can
give you a good example to start out with so you will not burn your plants.
It’s always good to start out light, rather than feed heavy. Remember you can
always add more later, but can not take out when you added to much. Chemical
and Organic nutrients differ. Chemical nutrients are more readily available
and can burn way easier than organics can. Organics are easier for a newer
grower to use, most of the time, and lessen your chances of burning your plants.
I recommend not using more than ½ teaspoon of chemical nutrients per gallon
of water. Unless the plants are very big 5 feet+, then it’s safe to use 1
teaspoon per gallon of water. When your plants first emerge you want to wait
at least 2 weeks before feeding your plants, unless your plants are in a soiless
mixture, like pro mix. The cotyledons (its first set of round looking leaves) are
what give the plant its food until they get the first 2 or 3 sets of leaves. If
your plants are in a soiless mixture and are over the first week of age; you can
feed a weak amount of nutrients, like ÂĽ teaspoon per gallon of water. Soiless
mixtures are different from soil plants and soiless plants need to be fed more
when using this mixture.

I also recommend not feeding more than 1 time a week if using ½ teaspoon per
gallon of water for chemical nutrients. You can feed every other day,( this
goes for chemical and organics) at very weak amounts, but doing this may contribute
to over watering, and for that I do not recommend feeding more than once a week.
Some people feed 2 times a week using like ¼ teaspoon per gallon of water… Use 1/4
strength for first feeding and then go up to 1/2 strength from the 2nd feeding when
using chemical nutrients. It’s very easy to overdo it. When using organics, depending
on which one you’re using, I recommend using 1 teaspoon per gallon of water. When the
plant gets bigger you can work your way up to using more nutrients when the plants
get bigger.

As for soil mixtures, there are a lot of different kinds of soil’s out there. Using a
rich soil mixture is not recommended for seedlings. Seedlings that are under 2
weeks of age you do not want to start them in rich soil, using a seed starter
mixture is one of the safer ways. Seed starter mixtures are weak in nutrients,
so it will not burn the seedlings but will provide them enough to get past seedling
stage, but the downside is you have to transplant into a better soil mixture after 2
weeks of age. If you decide to start with this mixture, do not put your seedlings
into a big pot. Start them out with using a cup or a small pot.

Nutrient Burn causes leaf tips to appear yellow or burnt. They can also be brown
and twisted and crispy looking. Depending on the severity it can show many different
symptoms and shows on lower part of the plant when its young, at older stages it
can move anywhere on the plant.

To fix the problem when you have Nutrient burn, you want to flush out the plants
with lots of water.

Soil

Soil should be flushed with lots of water, Use 3 gallons of water per one gallon of soil.
Flush very thoroughly, after plant recovers usually after a week, you can resume using
nutrients after a week or a week 1/2. When you flush your soil, you flush everything out,
a lot of nutrients go with it, including the soil nutrients.

Hydro `````````````````
Change out the reservoir, flush out any lines and clean out the entire system and
replace with plain water for the first hour, then start out with lower parts per
million (PPM)
Its good to clean out your system every 2 weeks and replace with fresh water and
nutrients. Some people change everything every week!

Ahh, nute burn! Stop this by not adding to much chemical/organic nutrients to your
water,foliar feeding. DONT feed more than 1 time a week unless using weak amount,
use 1/4 strength for first feeding and then go up to 1/2 strength from then on when
using chemical nutrients. Its very easy to overdo it. Causes leaf tips to appear
yellow or burnt. NEVER give nutrients to plants that are under 2 weeks of age, at
this age the soil nutrients are enough to suppliment them untill 2 weeks of age or
more depending on how good your soil is. Using ferts before 2 weeks will almost
likley kill your plants.

3 Likes

NEVER give the recommended dosage of Fox Farms nutes! 1/4 to 1/2 at most. All plants aren’t the same. They may not respond the same. Relax and see how the respond in the next few days. Maybe do a slurry test on the soil to check the pH and PPM”s. My experience with Fox Farms nutes is they run hot. The soil tends to hover in the acidic range… my advice is to switch to Nectar For The Gods nute line. You can get a sample pack delivers for only the cost of shipping… (mine was only $39). Go to www.oregonsonly.com for details. All organic and a $200 value. You basically can’t burn your plants with this line…

Thank you for the replies @garrigan62 @Ace2012, I’m glad you guys could confirm the burn. Sucks, but now I know to be a bit more cautious when feeding - luckily all of my other plants responded really well to the nutrients (I was using 1/2 teaspoon per gallon H20, so definitely on the lower end). This particular girl isn’t doing too well right now - I’m going to give her a good flush tomorrow and see if she gets better at all.

@Countryboyjvd1971 I’m having a similar problem with another plant that I haven’t fed ANY nutrients to.

Here’s the girl in my first post today, she seems to be bouncing back and doing a bit better:

And here is a younger plant (sprouted about 2 weeks after the previous one). I haven’t fed her any nutes, but the leaves seem to be browning a bit already:

I used the same soil for my ILGM Jack Herer seeds last year and had no problem at all.

For comparison, here is a girl that is doing REALLY well, and gone through the same process the one from my original post: