Question from a fellow grower?

I’m growing SSH under 1000w MH/HPS. One is growing in DWC and the other in
soil. The soil seems to be doing well, but I want to know what I’m doing
wrong.

Strain: Super Silver Haze

Indoor or Outdoor? Indoor

Size of space: Flower Room and Mother Room 4’ by 4’ by 76”

Soil or Hydro? Hydro DWC and mother in soil

Medium used: 1 soil/clay into DWC (5gal buckets) and 1 large pot with soil in one tent, other for vegetating clones and seeds.

PH: UNK tap water

EC/TDS ppm levels: UNK

Temperature: 68-85F

Humidity %: between 40-58

Light system/watts? 11000watt MH/HPS with switchable electronic ballast
with 2 plants+1 or 2
600watt Full spectrum LED in other Room (uncertain
which should be for flowers)

Unknown pH is probably what you are doing wrong, with a bad pH, you can have everything else perfect and your plant won’t grow or it could even just flat out die.

EC/TDS/PPM is important as well, but often not nearly as detrimental as a bad pH. Also the exact make up of your tap water, not just the Total Dissolved Solids in Parts Per Million, but specifically what dissolved solids are in your water would be very helpful to know. Generally you need about a EC of 0.3 or lower in your tap water to be able to use it without problems, this number is a TDS of 150PPM (NaCl conversion).

You might be able to get away with higher numbers in tap or well water, but again – it would depend on exactly what those dissolved solids were made out of, too much sodium is one of the worst to look out for.

~MacG

1 Like

Thanks MacG. What I’ll have soon is pictures. I think I’ll go soil until all parameters can be met. I appreciate any advice I can get.

The pH is still very important in soil. And with soil you might have a harder time knowing what the pH actually is in the root zone than knowing what it is in hydro. Soil can buffer pH a little, but it can’t make up for a pH that is too far out of the normal range.

~MacG

1 Like

To be safe in a soil grow, in regards to PH; Add a TBS. of Dolmitic lime to your soil. 2-3 bucks a bag at the garden store.

I’ve added to my arsenal of supplies, Epsoma Organic Soil Acidifier, Multi Zen, Roots Excelurator Gold, and Drip Clean. These, I will need instruction on. I’ll be getting my ppm and pH in the near future. The four buckets will be filled with four gallons (maybe more) of RO water.
As of now, my free hanging SCROG, can’t be called as such, is in homemade mixture of coffee soil and approaching three feet. I’ve started adding fert to it and now realize it was too soon and will not make it grow faster. Now, I’m on a setback, but think the acidifier will help absorb nutes. I started some clones three days ago, but none are showing roots yet.
I think I’ll veg under 600w full spec LED and save the 1000w MH/HPS for flowering.

I’ll get the lime next time I’m out.

Tonight, I tested my tap water at 8.5 and 8.0. I am certain I found the problem. I added Microbe-Lift pH Decreaser to 6.4 and went with it, adding a TBS on top of each of three soil pots after watering. It’s morning inside.

1 Like

Now that you have found that your PH was way off; Take the necessary steps to balance your PH. Keep your grow simple. Buying all kinds of additives and potential fix it products, will only confuse your grow. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks and I agree. I haven’t opened any, but pH down. I’m going to apply LST to my SSH that has between 25 and 30 colas. The first cut was the third or fourth node. I’m seeing improvement already.

I tried to paste a picture here, but it didn’t w[quote=“ClaireILGM, post:1, topic:4250, full:true”]
Question from a fellow grower?

I’m growing SSH under 1000w MH/HPS. One is growing in DWC and the other in
soil. The soil seems to be doing well, but I want to know what I’m doing
wrong.

Strain: Super Silver Haze

Indoor or Outdoor? Indoor

Size of space: Flower Room and Mother Room 4’ by 4’ by 76”

Soil or Hydro? Hydro DWC and mother in soil

Medium used: 1 soil/clay into DWC (5gal buckets) and 1 large pot with soil in one tent, other for vegetating clones and seeds.

PH: UNK tap water

EC/TDS ppm levels: UNK

Temperature: 68-85F

Humidity %: between 40-58

Light system/watts? 11000watt MH/HPS with switchable electronic ballast
with 2 plants+1 or 2
600watt Full spectrum LED in other Room (uncertain
which should be for flowers)
[/quote]

I tried to drag a photo in, but I don’t think it worked.

You have to use the upload function in the post window.

Thank you. I have done this and introduced a collection. I’ve started flowering the SSH under the 1kw HPS?MH and put the veggies under 600w LED. I’ll pull from there and bring under the 12 hour light.

This is day 8 of flowering the SSH. Over-watering issues have slowed things quite a bit.

This is over watered and tilted at an angle to try to drain the excess. Under 600w LED Mars Hydro, this and two others reside. I’ll try to load those next.