Does real Columbian gold exist anymore?

It’s better than Monsanto controlling every seed available!

And hell, Mother Nature got weed to where it was before we started messing with it.
I can only imagine what strange and wondrous things might come from billions and billions of pot plants scattering pollen to the breeze!

Back in the High Times Magazine days they used to say that the end result is directly related to how the plant is treated. There is absolutely no reason you can’t grow perfectly decent weed from bagseed if you treat it right. And especially if the weed you were smoking was good enough that you actually saved the seed!

We used to take baby food jars full of bagseed and spread them all around! Literally fake a pull over on the side of the highway to throw out seed! Parkway pulloffs, anywhere we could.
Gotta spread that shit around!
I used to call myself Johnny Potseed! LOL!
Oh to be young and stupid again…

It’s getting late - I gotta go check the Photron before I crash!

And if you know what I’m talking about we’re best friends!! LOL!!
That’s history right there fellas!

4 Likes

Lol have read an article about it

Thats funny as hell. You guys are making me feel old. Tell the young one about our days in the 70’s and they think your nuts. Go Thai stick!!!

1 Like

After reading this thread, guess I’m never going to find the skunk weed of old. Sigh

1 Like

I’m working on a couple of the ILGM Super Skunk atm.
Check back in a couple of months and I’ll let you know if we’re good! :rofl:
My first real grow in YEARS is a trip down Memory Lane! LOL!
Super Skunk, New York Diesel and Granddaddy Purple.
Each with it’s own memories!

Good Luck in your search!!

2 Likes

anyone who’s read HighTimes “of old” :wink: (talking over 20-25yrs ago) would know what i mean when i say “Schuyler Skunk” (and you should too Tyler :wink: ). It STILL exists, trust me. Schuyler is right across the river from me, like, directly. All the “old timers” that grew it when i moved here are gone (to other locations, or from this World) but it was “kept in the family” in a few hollers :slight_smile: Now, getting someone to get up off some beans??? LOL, that’s another story :wink: :slight_smile: Point of that is, i’m pretty sure that has the genetics (at least one parent/generation) of the “skunk weed of old”. The WW out of Schuyler VA was WELL known for a couple decades too. :wink: There’s lots of folks in the Appalachians with these skills, and others, lol :slight_smile: This was all LOOONNNNNNNG before “med grade” weed term ever came to be in anyone’s ears 2 decades later :smiley: I’m going to throw two other names out here that some “old timers” here may recognize… “Hail Bop” (Afghani strain) and Beatrice (i don’t remember her history). Some locals made “Be-Bop” out of the two of those, and someone around here dubbed it “green crack” before that EVER became a strain available to anyone, lol. We were all sitting around and he double toked and we said “pass it, Humphrey!” and he was like “man, i can’t help it, that $#!+ tastes so good, it’s like greeeeen crack!!” (and hits it a third time before passing :smiley: )

3 Likes

I ordered the ilgm super skunk for this year’s grow in hopes of finding that “smell and taste”

I also kept my grow bibles through the years

7 Likes

Oh hell yeah - EVERYBODY around here knows about Schuyler Skunk!!
According to my niece there’s a guy up there who has filed paperwork to trademark the name and grow it for retail sale in '24!!!
She want to go work for him!! She has family on her moms side from up that way and I hope she manages to pull it off!
When I was in high school for a while we’d go up to Nelson County and hang at this old black mans house - John Brown(if I remember correctly). He had a pile of liquor bottles out back almost as tall as his house!! It was one of the best long term parties I ever went too! He worked a road crew during the week but from Friday when he got home until he passed out Sunday night it was on!
There was literally no telling who was gonna walk though the door and what they’d be carrying! Literally there were nights when the cops could have caught every moonshiner and weed grower in Nelson County!!
We smoked MASS amounts of the skunk and consumed mass quantities of Peach and Apple Brandy!
And oh yes - plenty of the straight clear goodness of White Lightening!
That the first time I met someone who could tell time by the moon if it was out!
It took the first ten years of working outside before I could get accurate by the sun but this cat would get you within 10 minutes of the actual time consistently!

Places like John Browns house are few and far between now and days but it was some of the best times of my life!
This was the south in the 80’s but when you walked through that door you were equal to everyone there. Color, creed, even gender didn’t matter - everybody respected one another and Johns house.
I NEVER saw a fight or a cross word used there.
Sure - a lot of shit talking but all in good fun!

Good Memories!

And I hope to walk into a weed store on January 1st 2024 and buy a legal bag of Schuyler Skunk!

@Freebud - get me the ordering info for that PhotoTron out of one of those old High Times! I think thats the way to go!! LOL!
Who made that crap? Ronco? Next assembly line over from the in-the-shell egg scrambler?! LOL!!
I know a cat who built his own! Too funny!!

5 Likes

:joy::rofl::rofl::rofl: at Phototron For reals @Tylersays that happens in 24’ let me know, I’d road trip anywhere for some good ol skunk😋

2 Likes

I remember runnin’ down “a particular street” in Richmond VA when i was like 22, fresh out the Army. Had a “friend” (mutual acquaintance of ACTUAL friends, lol) who was a stuck up prick, there, i’ll just say it. Mother and Father VERY rich and the boy never wanted/needed for anything. We ended up having to “get some” from him because the mutual friend wasn’t around for a couple weeks and while there (dang, can’t even use the REAL name for the term we started using from that night on, lol) we’re all hitting a bong and this dude, i’ll just say “J.Rice”, could not EVER, no matter WHERE we were at, hit a bong, without DROOLING down inside the opening…so the phrase “don’t J Rice my BONG man!” became a thing when handing a bong to someone after that…ANYYYYYWAYYYYY, while we’re there also, ol J Rice weighs me out an O, comes back with it. I’m not named Blade but i can tell when an O feels light, lol…i question it and another friend of MINE, with me, pulls HIS scales out (some of y’all wouldn’t know anything about this chrome, dangly old school teknolergy they called postal scales, lol !! :smiley: ) and it’s like almost half Q short… i POLITELY made a fuss about weight and he got lippy, like VERY disrespectful lippy and told me basically if i didn’t like it to F off. I told him he could make it right or give my $$ back and take that slack crap. More lip was had and he made a VERY unwise decision to snatch it out of my hand and it dumped all over, some in a fishtank beside him and some into a litter box beside that… he laughed…mistake #2… i’ll just leave it at when he woke, i’m SURE he wondered where his phototron went, but had NO question as to WHO walked off with it :slight_smile: I got good money for that thing, lol (i’m not normally an A-hole like that but if you mess with me hard enough i’ll teach you something about being an A-hole :wink: )

4 Likes

Fully agree with you mate I don’t stand for that kinda crap and being that it’s illegal hold the code or hold your blood and strongly believe in taking it a step to far with crappy dealers

3 Likes

I might know someone who brought Thai seeds from S. Korea early 70’s. He said, "If I knew it was disappearing I wouldn’t had planted them all. I had some good years though. "

1 Like

This is the closest bud I’ve found In my opinion to taste and smell of Columbia gold/Acapulco gold. It’s Dog walker from a friend of a grower friend. It’s true it’s all about the cure and how well it smokes. Unknown if there are seeds out there, I think this was from a clone.

3 Likes

(Tommy Chong voice) HEYYyy mannnn, is that like Lab-ra-dorrrr mannNNN???

2 Likes

Damnit I want more likes​:angry::triumph::angry:

1 Like

So I gotta ask , is Columbia gold and Acapulco gold the same ? And what’s the difference between back thens Acapulco and the one in my tent? I haven’t smoked either and I’m curious

1 Like

Good question, I was way too stoned back then to tell you what the difference and or the similarity was, but research says they are both sativa. It was one of the most potent types available at the time and of course the cool factor of just having it to smoke was a plus.

2 Likes

If I remember correctly, I would say same genes but different processes. Acapulco gold appeared darker, little more harsh, but pretty much same head and body result

Looking for that pine we used to get around christmas. Super sticky. Paraquat toasted a lot of the good mexican. I remember people getting pretty sick.

There’s a reason that old skunk weed is no longer around( at least in its pure landrace form) we’ve bred strains that are 10x stronger that taste of candy or fruit. Now could you go to Mexico and find a 60 year old home grower that has it around , sure , but not worth the trouble