Does real Columbian gold exist anymore?

It’s not. I wish it was, but it’s a breeder’s re-creation of it. Is it decent weed - heck yes. I’ve only grown it once and I have a second run of it going right now so clearly I don’t hate it… it’s not my favorite but its decent. I also never smoked real Maui Wowie so what the hell do I know. This stuff has a really mellow high to it - something you can toke with a cup of coffee in the morning and still be motivated and functional. Not always what I want but i’m coming to appreciate it.

Its the same story with the Sour Diesel. It’s not like anyone at ILGM was living in NYC in the late 90’s and has been tending that line of genetics for 20 years… Cross some Chemdog with some Super Skunk and make your own! It’s not that simple of course and Bergman’s operation has taken the time to do the work breeding it properly so it’s a stable and consistent product and selected the phenotypes along the way to get something that’s enough like the original.

I can guarantee you that any seed bank that is carrying a classic strain with known lineage that they’re willing to stand behind will be putting that right. Up. Front.

Not a knock against ILGM in any way - been growing their gear for quite a few years now and am a satisfied customer.

I’m actually smoking both right now so excuse the rambling!

1 Like

I remember in 78 (1978) I bought a Beautiful and large bag of Acapulco Gold. I laughed at my buddy when he told me the price. $80! That’s friggin outrageous! No one and I mean no one will ever spend that much money on a bag of weed. Then he showed me the weed. I bought it and it ended up being 34g. Worth every penny. Took half to the big island of Hawaii and traded for some Puna Bud. Life was so simple then. Always wished I’d saved some if those seeds.

4 Likes

What’s the name of the seed bank please mate @Deez

Yep, I would pay top dollar for the stuff we used to get back in the 70’s.
The memory of the smell and the sweet taste is still vivid. I’m in the process of my first real grow and I chose Acapulco Gold, so far the only problem I’ve had is Fungus Gants. I bought 5 seeds and 3 germinated, all three plants look different.
I’m about a week into flower, can’t wait til the end of August.

2 Likes

When I was a teenager, my girlfriend mother had a jewelry box full of Colombian gold . We would sample a pin joint of it before sleeping in her bed. Back then I thought that was the best weed ever.

3 Likes

Nice one @Dino1 growing an Acapulco gold myself , hopefully same stuff as the devil was peddling down in Jamaica;)

1 Like

It looks like Tom hill is trying to keep a few land race strains going. I have been looking for some thing pretty close to the old Sour headband. It seems any thing I close in on have been out of stock or discontinued. :neutral_face:

@Leholf the real seed company.

1 Like

Thanks mate @Deez will check them out

I’ll be honest - back in my high school days in the mid 80’s me and a buddy would flip weed for a dude for bags for ourselves. It was a good arrangement. LOL!
At any rate, dude never had a name or anything for the weed, it was just weed in a black garbage bag.
But of course everybody wants the Maui Wowie or the Columbian Gold or the Acapulco Gold so we’d just make up our own names!
Golden Buddha was a favorite LOL!

So if you were in Virginia and smoked Golden Buddha, Thank You! LOL

5 Likes

Yeah real columbian gold is gone forever… same as mexican redhair, and authentic Thai stick… things of the past. Like all things change is inevitable, even landrace cultivars will change over time.
These are landrace Afghanis

The cieling is 12 feet tall and I suspect the right hand Balkhi plant will hit it? They did last year. I would say if you grow most cannabis is healthy soil… the real soil … with dechlorinated water, and use natural teas and inputs… you can grow some great pot. Be advised, some strains may not finish in your area. Assuming you grow outdoors?

7 Likes

I saw you mention RSC in another thread so i checked it out.
Really cool stuff there!
Given our heat and humidity here in Virginia I’m wondering if some of the strains from SE Asia or India might perform well here. Our humidity rages in the summer!
Most “modern” growers would pass these over for hybrids, I’m sure. But I really believe you get back from your plant what you put in to it.
These are the bases for everything that’s out there now! With the right treatment they can be just as potent!
I think.
At any rate, thanks for the heads up!
The mind keeps churning…

3 Likes

Another member mentioned in a conversation that I hadn’t thought of in terms of sweeping legalisation around the world and while it’s excellent obviously, the down side is the 1001 growers out there growing crappy bag seed and without half a clue as to what there doing watering down current gene pools , coupled with race to cross as many strains as possible to create the next freak weed , what will we be left with in 20 years plus ?

3 Likes

I dunno man, my crappy bag seeds are doing QUITE nicely :slight_smile: 2 in particular are stellar growers thus far but all of them are healthy, vibrant growers

i only gest, i know what you mean. not growing from the top of the chain in the strain “waters down” potency and genes in that strain

1 Like

Yea I hear ya mate :slight_smile: I mean crappy b grade stuff and old Joe bro gets a seed chucks it into the ground grows a male without bothering to do any kind of research, cause it’s a plant right , easy , dirt water sun , how hard can it be! And the whole time you’ve spent dollars and time to grow the best you can just to have pollinated by old joes massive male that your not aware of

2 Likes

Crikey I hope there isn’t a member called Joe bro here!? I meant average neighbour kinda fulla

1 Like

Not to panic people will learn . There has always been ditch weed and always will . Hell if you had the weed we grow now in the 70s people would have thought you were lacing it with something .
It would suck to have my girls pollinated by a neighbor though . I have been warned though that a good % of outdoor grows hermie . This year is my first outdoor grow

4 Likes

Lol ditch weed , hadn’t heard that before very apt! Yip I’ve grow some ditch weed and probably would have continued if it wasn’t for you lot

3 Likes

Now I think the kids call it swag lol . It was what what we called that weed that always seemed to show up when it was really dry at your regular guy’s house. That was back when a pleated sandwich bag as full as it could get and the flap still fold over was 25 bucks . A long time ago

4 Likes

Kids aye , gotta be different, I prefer ditch , cheers mate I shall use from this day forth! Still it’s better than nothing :slight_smile: