Does cannabis grown in soil taste better?

As @MeEasy said above the living soil we are using seems more flavorfull and smells better than reg soil. Yields are a little less.

4 Likes

I’ve had great smoke with DWC and great smoke with soil and coco Ive grown both some strains tast like shit naturally so it’s hard to tell you would halfto take the same cut grow one in soil grow one in hydro and taste it your self … if done a good job on both I’d guess they would be similar

2 Likes

Got that going now.
Mother on right in ocean forest given dynomycro and recharge regularly and her rooted top on left in coco feed General hydroponics with h202 so no microbes at all.
Mother is about 7 weeks in flower clone on left is about 4-5 weeks in.
I got 4 more cuts from same plant in autopots and i didn’t really intend on any kinda experiment but I kinda have to now :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

Actually, I just remembered :sweat_smile:
I got these going as well. 12 clones from a reveg, 6 in dwc and 6 in soil for when all these goldleaf finish. So I guess I’ll have multiple examples :grin:

6 Likes

Looking forward to hearing about your findings

2 Likes

@HappyHydroGrower, Hey Pappy, it looks like you have a lot going on there already. Looking good! Do you think, given it’s size, is the smaller plant in the coco is outproducing the other in the soil? It looks like it in pictures.

2 Likes

@Ickey Absolutely :+1: :100:
I noticed real fast that the top (one in coco is the top half of the one in soil) was going to catch up if not pass the main plant.
Soil is in 7gal fabric no issues at all through grow.
The top spent along time in the one gallon of coco and it just grew to big so i stuck it in about 3gal pot of coco like you see it. But the top will produce more I believe in way less medium
I bottom feed it about a half gallon of general hydroponics maxi-bloom with h202 a day.

1 Like

This is true. Man has not caught up to Mother Nature. Soil bud tastes better than anything man could ever make up. I grow in both and can taste and see the difference

2 Likes

@Blunt-smoke, I think we need to define soil a little better here.
If @1HappyPappy was to do his experiment with hydro vs. store bought soil using the same nutrients. I really doubt he would be able to see much difference in the two. But if Pappy could go out and plant one in the ground, behind his old cattle barn, then heck yea there would be a difference. Even if Pappy dug up a bucket full of dirt from outside. Would it be the same as the plant being outside with both deep and shallow roots?
My wife eats more tomato sandwiches than anyone in the world. She will tell you that in the winter months. The tomatoes her family brings from Florida taste much better than the hot house or hydro tomatoes we have in the grocery stores here in Virginia. But in the summertime nothing taste better than the tomatoes grown here in The Virginia or N.C. Hills. So why such a difference in the taste of them from different locations. Is it that they are getting essential elements from differing sources, or is it the differing nonessential elements that the plant picks up?
FYI If you like fresh corn. And you are ever in Maggie Valley, N.C. during summer, you should take time to find a produce stand.

4 Likes

Im just a couple hrs away from Maggie Valley on the other side of the mountain :grin:.
And the best matters come from Grainger County Tn :sweat_smile:
But you’re right, the mother is in ocean forest but was transplanted multiple times, last time was into the 7gal pot of fresh soil and was not bottle feed but a couple times later in flower.
Heavy doses of both dynomycro and recharge, cal-mag all the way threw.
So the mother definitely has access to alot more then the one in a sterile system bottle fed with only the basics.
I can’t grow outside unfortunately.
But we see how it gows.
If there is no difference at all then ok its inconclusive.
But.
If the coco smells and tastes better I think it lean towards BS.
Blind tests like this have never supported the claims made by many.

My opinion will clearly be biased as i know which is which so I will not tell others and do a blind test myself.

Compost based

Hey @1HappyPappy, I stand corrected. I should have included E. Tenn. in my Blue Ridge Mountain Tomato Capitals. I know how proud you Volunteers are. Some of the best people I ever worked with were out of the Tri Cities area. There was some real characters in that bunch.

1 Like

I was just pulling your chain my freind :grin:
But yeah I’ve spent alot of time in the tri-cities area, family all over east TN. I grew up in Gatlinburg and my wife is native. Her uncles are part of the Cherokee nation and if it wasn’t for my work, we would probably be on the other side of the hump wearing beads and feathers :rofl: but seriously…
We badly miss the mountain lifestyle :sleepy:

We sold 25 acres in the mountains surrounded by over 700 acres uninhibited government land to buy ¼ acre in the big city :man_facepalming: all for the mighty dollar…

It’s referred to as “terroir”; it’s quite well known to affect the flavor of wine grapes.

I’m in a unique sub-climate here; I’m in the ancient basin of Lake Ontario, from when it was larger at the end of the last ice age. We actually jump up a USDA plant hardiness zone, zone 6a, most of NY is at 5.

This area is known for growing excellent grapes and apples. Back in the day, before CA flooded the market, the best weed I could find was the local outdoor. I’m excited to give it a shot.

2 Likes

I do apologize for not answering your question. If you have followed growers long enough, then it’s pretty common to see folks in soil grow as big as hydro.

You can’t get anymore hydro than what I do. But, take @merlin44 for an example, his soil grows are easily larger than my hydro simply because he’s gain a ton of knowledge and has learned how to get the most out his grow.

One thing about hydro, it may grow a little faster than soil. But, size wise, experience growers can grow huuuuge plants. His coco is definitely larger than the soil. :+1:t2::v::sunglasses:

2 Likes

Heres a neat little article about what supposedly makes "Grainger County tomatoes " taste so good.
Idk if it’s scientific fact, but its interesting to me.
Im included to think certain areas just natural have the best environmental for whatever crop it is.
And given as long as people have grown cannibus indoors, I’m included to be pretty confident we know what the best environment is.
So if I can creat the environment that is best for whatever crop it can’t tell the difference if its in a tent or a rain forest.
Just like it can’t tell the difference from where its minerals come from.
By the time the minerals are used by any plant, they are in the exact same elemental form no matter if it came from cow poop or a laboratory… and that isn’t an organic form as minerals don’t come in organic form, only from organic sources, even bottle nutrients most often cone from an organic source.

They are only refined and purified.
Organic sources of nutrients can have heavy metals and those are toxic to all life, that is not a possibility for bottle nutrients.

I’m not saying either is bad, but im not convinced there’s much difference at all.
If a person fully understands how to utilize all 4, organic/ synthetic and indoor/outdoor.

I believe there should be no difference in the end result.
That’s why the arguments have continued for so long from both sides.
I think, nether is best or better then the other. .
Grows are better then each other at one system of growing then the other.

As long as bugs dont eat it and you plant one in the right spot outside, it’s easy to grow fire.
But that doesn’t mean that same fire cant be grew inside by someone that doesn’t know how to grow fire inside.

Dam, i think i just had a debate with myself :confused::disappointed:
This infused hot chocolate has my lifted right now :rofl: sorry about the rant but yeah… sending it :grin:

5 Likes

And of course i didn’t even link the article :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

My wife is dying for me to grow some tomatoes inside one day. I may try that during a summer grow… maybe! :grin::+1:t2::v::sunglasses:

4 Likes

@1HappyPappy, that for sure is all true and we are in total agreement. In fact, I’m quite certain in your blind taste test, I myself would find little difference. The soil or alternative is really only one part of the “terroir”; the rest of the environmental conditions would be the same for both.

It probably gets a little more interesting if you’re giving the cut to 2 different growers. We’re all sort of our own little mother/father natures growing inside, the terroir is an expression of the grower.

Humans have been cultivating cannabis for at least 10,000 years, and the last 4,000 specifically for medicinal purposes. The Chinese symbol for cannabis looks like a scrog grow, I’m not kidding. :joy:

3 Likes

@1HappyPappy, I checked out your article on Grainger Co. tomatoes. It seems to credit their taste to the limestone in the soil, and I am sure that is a big part of it. On this side of the Alleghenies, we have a lot of quartz rock that is breaking down. It is flaky little chips of rock that can be very shiny, and some call it, “Fools Gold”. My Dad called it, “Micca” and pronounced it, (Mike-a). You can dig up a chunk of this old rock and it will flake apart easily. I found this stuff very fascinating as a little kid digging holes in the yard.
I am sure this Micca helps to give our homegrown tomatoes that great rich acidic taste.

@CurrDogg420, I did a little research on Terroir. It is interesting but some of it gets a little too deep. I did find this somewhat condensed information on it.

Soil
There are hundreds of different types of soil, rock and mineral deposits in the world’s vineyards. Most vineyard soils can be sorted into about 5 to 6 different types of soil that affect the flavor of wine. While there is no scientific proof associating the taste of ‘minerality’ to actual minerals in a wine, something does happen. It’s almost as though some types of soils act like a tea-bag for water as it passes through to the vine’s roots. For instance South Africa is marked by 50 million year old granitic soils. Granite is known for its heat retention and the quality of reducing acidity in high acid wine grapes. Writers have described South Africa’s red wines as graphite-like, gravely and like freshly-wetted concrete.

It would appear that all of this indicates that the nonessential minerals or elements the tomatoes or grapes plants pick up from the soil effects taste. I see no reason that cannabis would be much different. But if we use this, “Terroir”, as am example. The soil is only a quarter of what goes into the mix. So if you subtract the nutrients what we are talking about here maybe way less than 25% of the recipe.
I believe at this point my question is more like this. Do the taste or sweetener enhancements they want us to buy really work?

4 Likes