Does anyone make their own worm castings?

Definitely something I want to start doing. Watched a bunch of videos on it but would love to hear 1st hand how it is. Are the premade plastic units any good? Build your own out of wood or totes?

2 Likes

I believe that @CurrDogg420 has some firsthand knowledge about this.

2 Likes

I would love to try, but im not sure where i could keep them over the long winter

1 Like

I think @Aussie_autos might?

Yah i do i have two worm farms ,what do you need to know how can i help

1 Like

If you go and buy a worm farm it will come with coco coir brick for the bedding and it should come with some compost and soil conditioner which is Dolomite lime i have paperwork here that gives u all the information you need to care for worms

1 Like

There was a thread on this topic just a couple of weeks ago. I can’t find it with a quick search, but if you dig around the forum you can probably find it.

1 Like

@Aussie_autos is there one you recommend or something in particular I should look for?
Do you have yours indoors or outdoors? My wife is kinda hesitant to let me have it inside, worried about smell and bugs. With our weather here they’d be inside I’d say 7 months out of the year.

I have one indoors and one out doors theres a worm farm called can of worms and theres another called worm cafe both great worm farms

1 Like

But if u have a garage or a shed u can put it in there in the colder months i don’t have them in the house there both outside one is in the garage and the other one is outside of the garage

Here is some information about worm farms and how to take care of them

1 Like

Nice, thank you @Aussie_autos
It gets down into the -0 degree farenheit here so I’d have to bring them in the house.
How is the smell factor? Lol

This the one?

2 Likes

Thats the one bro the smell factor there isn’t any you will gave get ur worms off Amazon

Nice, ordering it now deal with the wife later :rofl:
Just found a local worm farmer who sells red wigglers. Gonna check him out before ordering them. Thanks again!

Here is @CurrDogg420 reply to my question a few months ago.
“ I raise my own composting worms; feed them my old root balls, kitchen compost, (lots of coffee grounds for the N, the roots are the carbon) and organic fertilizers. Takes 2-4 months to turn it all into vermicompost water only super soil.”

1 Like

No worries bro just remembered not to feed them tomatoes or acid type of foods so no citrus peels and dont put to much onion in ur worm farm also find a local coffee shop and see if you can grab there old coffee grounds its good for the worm farm

2 Likes

I have been looking into worm farms myself. My understanding around the smell is “if it smells you are feeding too much” basically over feeding. Here is a video I have watched a few times. I think it does a good job of explaining how to maintain a worm farm.

2 Likes

@Aussie_autos ordered my can o worms last night. Should be up and running by this time next week.

Nice @TheBadHaggis the cardboard that comes with the can o worms is to be used as the bottom in ur worm farm then once u soak ur coco coir brick for a while you will put it on top of the cardboard you will see in the directions

1 Like