Does a dwc have to stay running 24/7 or can it also be on a 18/6 schedule also?

2 Likes

@TDubWilly

This is why it flowed slower when your bucket drained:

And now for the higher math:

3 Likes

Only run the system when the lights are on.

Why are you running pumps all the time in DWC? Do you have one of those multi-bucket systems?

2 Likes

@latewood We were discussing the benefits of a modified DWC/Aeroponic and a way to use pumps to provide contestant flow of nutrients to the base of the plant.

1 Like

Ive always been under the impression that roots still grow with the lights off and if roots are still growing then it just made sense to keep circulation going, that combined with the fact that clogs can happen easier in lines when they are not circulating it just made sense it seemed like too keep it circulating
Plus the plaint seems to love it and it barely cost a thing to keep a small submersible pump running…

2 Likes

No I only have a single bucket setup . I’m a first time grower and I have decided to do a dwc and i didn’t know if it could be on the same timer as my other 3 autos ( so 4 plants altogether-4 super skunk autos) .

I used to, downsized to a one bucket but it still circulates to an aquarium chiller

That’s actually excess salt build up from the fertilizer. I can pick it off and rub it between my fingers and it’s all gritty and stuff

1 Like

@TDubWilly I’m glad I’m wrong. Thanx for looking at this closer.

1 Like

@TDubWilly So I’ve thought out my design for the pump. I’m going to use 1’’ PVC and attach a soda bottle top to the bottom to create a bell housing for the air stone. The air will bubble up the 1” to create the airlift pump (drilled with holes at the bottom of the bell housing to allow for water passage). I will 90 angle above the lid put another 1” section to the net pot and terminate with a T; top to allow for air escape and the bottom to dump into the net pot. I may connect a distribution ring to this bottom for distribution around the base of the plant with flexi tubing. I’ll have the summer to prefect the design since I do not plan on growing in the hot months of the summer. Should be a fun project. Thanx for the great idea.

1 Like

Oh I love this thread. Thanks OP for starting it. To have @WickedAle and @TDubWilly discussing DWC and some of the little tidbits we can gain.

TD I am in the same school as you that the air needs to be going 24/7 though I guess that a few hours will not kill the roots I fear that something could grow while that air is off. I also think Wicked has something right as well that having the top feed run occasionally will at least flush the medium of nasties. Well I have to leave but I await your responses.

2 Likes

@Ncgreenthumber Sorry for the hijack of your thread but for me the conversation around the air lift pump is a breakthrough for me. Thanx also to @TDubWilly for his little experiment!

3 Likes

Just make sure you share it with everyone else :wink:

2 Likes

I will. It will be fun.

1 Like

Ok well since I have a ton of people on this thread I could use some help. I have a leaf curl on my super skunk auto . She’s about 20 days above soil . Has only had a very small dose of notes last Tuesday. Water has been ph’d at 6.7…its smart water so its automatically at 6.7. She is the only 1 with the lead curl. Any thoughts. Advice is very much appreciated. Thanks in advance

1 Like

For all of you hydro growers out there…
(IE) dwc or rdwc…
I dont use any media… just neoprene collars from start to finish with clones…
It’s just a matter of how dry you can keep your trunk… = lower the water level throughout the grow…:grin::thinking::upside_down_face::crazy_face::shushing_face::zipper_mouth_face::no_mouth:
Will be starting a new thread soon hopefully… will be giving away all my secrets to growing… :+1::exploding_head::grin::smiling_imp::crossed_fingers::shushing_face::zipper_mouth_face::no_mouth:
:v::sunglasses:

7 Likes

Are you letting your soil dry out completely between waterings? @Ncgreenthumber

I only water once a week !

Why would you turn what makes the plant grow off by turning the air pump off. Plant love the air with roots encapsulating the airstones.“I have to cut them out of the roots to reuse” 3 or 4 big airstones per plant running 24/7
I’d get slime if I turned my off

2 Likes

I will be waiting and watching @peachfuzz. I am planning on a top-fed DWC. I will take any advice and tricks you can show and when I start to assemble my setup. I will begin at the end of this year.

2 Likes