Does a dwc have to stay running 24/7 or can it also be on a 18/6 schedule also?

My top ring is also run off my main air pump. It just has a manifold that controls each individual air line and I can turn it off via the manifold at any time

2 Likes

So the ring supplies air not nutes? Just confused me.

3 Likes

It supplies a “drip down” effect with nutrient filled water being what drips down but the rise in water from the reservoir to the drip ring is created by air pressure which as a byproduct is oxygenates the water also.

Lastly, it also creates another circulation path which I have 2 different “circulation paths” right now. I could create another one by connecting a second bucket to the system and allowing drainage from one bucket to the other.

My drip ring needs an air pump to run and not a water pump
General Hydroponics 706335 Farm kit, Brown/A

4 Likes

Cool, but I’m still scratching my head how it works. But if it does!!! Do you T your line to the air stone also?

1 Like

I run my recirculation pump 24/7

3 Likes

yea but do you recirc through the pots and constantly flush the roots with oxy nutes?

2 Likes

I guess you could say that. It all works off that manifold that I mentioned…

Then I just needto close the shut off valve on the far right

This one here with the clear line

3 Likes

I guess you could say that. It all works off that manifold that I mentioned…
20190417_163656

Then I just needto close the shut off valve on the far right

This one here with the clear line…

If I shut it off, air will quit moving through the “dual column air rise shaft” and no water will flow.

Also, water pressure itself plays a role in “the lift”

The stem of this system that goes from the ring down into the water is only so long… therefore when your bucket is more full of water and the stem of the drip ring is more submersed, it will take less air pressure to initiate “the lift”
Contrarily the more on the empty side the bucket is it will require more and more air pressure to initiate “the lift”

2 Likes

Hey buddy I ain’t seen you for a while you got Any pics of your plant you got going on now

1 Like

Simple rule of thumb: if you can think if a way to add more oxygen to the water and its easy to do… then do it.

The numbers and charts actually say that you can exceed optimal dissolved oxygen levels in DWC if you add too much. Ive tried my damndest to exceed it to no avail lol, and the plant always thrived in those times, however just a minor slip into DO levels that were too low and undesirable then the plant would immediately show signs that it doesn’t like it and every time root rot got the upper hand I would be in a war to eradicate it till the end of the grow.

For me it “feels” safe to do it this way which is beat it before it can ever get a foothold. You guys up north might face different experiences

1 Like

One or two yessir @HornHead

3.5 weeks into flower

20190416_130617

I just got this girl right now. I’ll get two tents running after this harvest

8 Likes

My roots now, you can’t even see into the secondary roots anymore and see the main root @WickedAle

The roots almost look covered in trichomes lol

5 Likes

Totally cool. And that’s all because of that airlift ring? I’m in! I need to investigate how it works, cause I’d like more than just a drip, but no question it is beneficial!

2 Likes

You got it!

Just make sure you keep that hydroton dark. Don’t use anything like cardboard which can harbor the “nasties” like you said. Someone recomended to me to buy a car window shade at the dollar store and cut it to fit the bucket.

Oh, and you have to cut the ring also to fit what size net pot you have, so the bigger the net pot the less of a tight bend you have to make with the ring. 8" meet pots seem to be the perfect size @WickedAle

1 Like

@TDubWilly I read the reviews. I use 3” netpots and the ring apparently doesn’t work well for that small. That’s why I need to understand how the airlift works to design my own.

2 Likes

This pump operates the same way. Fascinating what you can find. This isn’t the solution but every day you learn something new. Just have to have your eyes open. :eye::eye:

2 Likes

I got ya. Ya it really don’t like to go that small.

The airlift works off a tube inside a tube where air is forced down the inner tube I think. The inner tube is slightly shorter than the outer tube and I believe it causes the water to rise between the two tubes.

Whatever you mfg just remember it’s a drip system and that’s all it needs to do. Something that shoots water out will not work.

I’m not sure that you wanna do this at all with a 3" net pot. Im not saying it can’t be done, maybe it can, but the big net pots allow for some space between the stem and the ring so its not so close that it’s saturating the stem

2 Likes

@TDubWilly I actually think it would still benefit with the 3”. Here’s my theory: Like cloning the water rings provides constant water to the base of the stem. Since the plant sees the opportunity for additional nutrients it begins to throw roots. If those roots are constantly supplied with water air and nutrients they will expand and create new roots, just as a clone creates new roots when there is none. More roots the more nutrition to the top of the plant. I actually believe if you could submerses the entire stem base in well oxy water the same thing would happen but in a DWC the water level is not constant enough for these roots to form and additionally we run our levels much lower. By mistake I used to run my levels much higher in the DWC. Yes this waterlogged the rockwool and really adversely affected the small plant, but once it grew past the small stage I never felt the higher level where the water was in the hydroton hurt me. Actually, I think (but can’t remember) I had way more roots protruding from the net cup after the grow. So a system that constantly supplied oxy water to the base will produce way more roots and that’s what’s happening in your system. Just a theory.

2 Likes

I believe this 100% also.

Because I’m in unfamiliar waters with running the top feed right now, I keep waiting everyday for some sign of damping off/ stem rot but it has never come.
Knowing that you have had trouble with the same, I only say what I say so that you can exercise caution.

You might not even need a full ring because all you wanna do is keep the hydroton moist not saturated.

2 Likes

Damping off

A soil-borne fungal disease that affects seeds and new seedlings, damping off usually refers to the rotting of stem and root tissues at and below the soil surface. In most cases, infected plants will germinate and come up fine, but within a few days they become water-soaked and mushy, fall over at the base and die.

Several fungi can cause decay of seeds and seedlings including species of rhizoctonia , fusarium and phytophthora . However, species of the soil fungus pythium are most often the culprit. Damping off typically occurs when old seed is planted in cold, wet soil and is further increased by poor soil drainage. High humidity levels, rich potting soils and planting too deeply will also encourage its growth.

Fungal spores live in the soil and are primarily a problem in seed beds. They can be transported on garden tools and in garden soils taken into the house or greenhouse.

Note: Older plants are rarely killed by damping off primarily because the production of secondary stem tissue forms a protective barrier and limits fungal penetration.

Additionally by having a constant flushing of the medium (hydroton/rockwool) you flush out any molds/fungi before they can establish. @TDubWilly If you look closely at the underside of your hydroton, that white is mold. If you flushed it out it could not establish. The oxy water will kill it off.

1 Like