Do you use a PAR meter?

Are PAR meters worth the money? Do you use one? I downloaded an app and I think it works but not sure I would know if it didn’t… Your thoughts?

1 Like

there is a phone app called photone that will work for your android or apple. seems to get pretty good reviews. i use it myself. no way for me to know how accurate it is although there was a comparison done with a couple of different phone apps compared to a pretty expensive light meter. the photone was the most accurate between the 2 apps compared. close enough for me anyway. i set the height of my light according to the DLI reading i was getting on my phone app (45-50). my light resided just about in the middle of the height range that the light manufacturer suggested and i have not light burned my plants with it yet. in there 5th week now.

1 Like

also, make sure the area of your screen where the camera resides is good and clean smudges or anything scattering the light going into makes the readings very unstable.

2 Likes

Par meters are great but they are expensive and not needed you can use DLI to get a good Geuss.

Take an average of your canopy as well.

Here is a guide

3 Likes

I just use an app called ppfd meter

2 Likes

The photon app is a cool little tool. You will need to purchase about a $5 upgrade for Full spectrum LED.
It’s a tool. Let me remind you it’s a tool. The video from Apogee will have you searching all night about light needs.
For me, with a new Hlg 320w v2rspec qb
Using the DLI in the video for photos
*I ran an auto grow * just did not work
Lots of airy buds on a 12/12
But hey, live and learn

2 Likes

Until you know how to do the math and understand DLI the apps are useless in my opinion.

How do you know it’s doing the math right…
For example we have checked the photone app and the full sunlight works more accurately then full spectrum led option.

I belive you also needed to use a diffuser but all that info is in the post. I don’t use the app but some have tried I haven’t had time to test it against my own math and a LUX meter.

In my thread there is someone who tested the app against a appogy meter.

HLG are nice but to pricey for what they are, I have one, I prefer kingbrites however the DLI is more important.

2 Likes

I have one that lays on the Shelf. Personally after you use your lights and understand the heights at different stages seeding, veg, an bloom, I find myself not using it. That’s just me happy growing !

3 Likes

Thanks everyone for the input. The app I downloaded was the photone app…but I will probably play it by ear for now and if I have any issues I will consider looking into it deeper.

1 Like

I’ve been told the apps are pointless and not accurate but I can’t be one to say as I have bought my own PAR meter. They are expensive like Nicky said but I think well worth your money in the long run

2 Likes

In my instance it is easier to use this PAR meter because when I upgraded my flower tent lights they were 46.9” L x 46.8” W x 3.2” H and I managed to stuff 2 of them in my 4x8x6ft tent amd now I can’t move them literally at all as im scared itll cause issues being such a tight fit so I only adjust my light intensity and not my height and this helps me tremendously

2 Likes

I have a Apogee quantum sensor (SQ-526), certainly not needed, I grew for almost 30 years without one. Most growers would be better off putting that $500 into better lights, don’t spend money on a PAR meter if you’re running blurples.

I do like having it though, nice to be able to take real PAR measurements and re-use that info for future grows (set to under 300 PAR for seedlings, under 500 PAR for veg, 1000 PAR for flowering, etc…), takes a lot of guesswork out of it.

Your plants will tell you everything you need to know, best thing is to learn how to read your plants. Plant’s stretching and getting thin and tall - need more light, plant staying really short and squat - back off on the light some. Plants looking like a magnesium deficiency even though they are getting plenty - too much light intensity in veg, etc…

6 Likes

Sometimes the reading of articles and threads from someone else’s “great success” does not always play out in to our favor. It’s nice to read info on the science behind this madness, buts it’s best to learn to crawl before we start running.
Gonna quote ya on this @Hellraiser.

2 Likes