Do you lower light level and duration at end of indoor "season"?

Does anybody gradually reduce the intensity and / or duration of their indoor lighting as the flowers get closer to harvest? To mimic what nature does outside?

4 Likes

I reduce light intensity at the very end when it is clear that all the plant is doing is ripening her flower during the last week or so. Trying to mimic nature is something I have never considered.

7 Likes

I wont unless foxtails begin to show up. Then I will either lower the light intensity or reduce the on time by 2 hours.

Side note, one of ac infinities lights/controlers has an simulated sunset/rise option.

7 Likes

thats cool

4 Likes

My growers choice master controller has the sunrise sunset mode as well just never used it but i might look into that now

2 Likes

I have in an attempt to simulate Fall.

3 Likes

I pour light on my plants beyond what many would consider excessive. I always get late calyx foxtails on my grow. I just cut them off when I harvest since the trichome maturity lags quite a bit on new calyces.

4 Likes

I think anytime we can simulate mother nature, we should. Its not like ducks have a calander yet like clockwork they move south when winter begins. There is a genetic memory, something stored in the genes, passed on from parent to child over centuries. Im sure the same goes for cannabis. This is the same reason I dont grow under 24 hours light. Night and day one of few constants on this planet

2 Likes

I read somewhere that when foxtailing it stops up the ripening, any truth in that?

2 Likes

Not in my experience. I like amber and have never seen a difference in maturity rates letting the foxtails ride.

3 Likes

48 Hours Of LIGHT Before Harvest! - YouTube something from Dr Bugbee

2 Likes

Did you fall?

4 Likes

With you it’s be a ‘trust fall’ :star_struck:

2 Likes

Depends where you live my friend. But I see your point. Don’t forgot the great light north at solstice where ruderallis developed the auto trait.

I found 24 on helpful for reveging flowered or seed run plants. It seems to help them shift gears the first week. But then I go back to 18/6.

1 Like

Thats a fine example, if your growing straight ruderallis. These auto strains are not 100% either. Especially this last year, countless “missfire” autos that require a 12/12 flip to flower. I dont know enough about the weather in Alaska to really argue so I offer this, the 2 months of 24 hour sunlight dont offer enough time for a ruderallis to complete its grow cycle. There is still night and day in its life. On top of that, the 24 hours of light area in alaska is not warm enough at the time its happening to actually grow cannabis, since it requires temps above 50 for propper growth.

So its reasonable to figure that even ruderallis needs dark, especially during late flower. Assuming it is warm enough to begin growing immediatly at the time the 24 hour light cycle.

No worries my friend, I was trying to be funny. You made a great point and I agree with you. Sorry if I came off as an arse holio.

2 Likes

Not at all! Sorry if I came off as defensive.

1 Like

Thanks for posting that!

1 Like

I’ve thought of that but didn’t think it would matter. I like that it’s been thought about. : )

2 Likes

When you say “intensity”, you mean same duration of daylight, just turned down a bit?