Do you let your plant sop up the runoff?"

Hey, just a quick question:

Sometimes after I water heavily, I pour the excess runoff that’s left in the pan under the grow bag into a bucket. But sometimes I just forget… and the plant that’s sitting in the grow bag absorbs the pool of water it’s sitting in within about 24 hours.

What is the best thing to do? Remove the excess water? And is this “mission critical” or just a good practice to remove that nasty drainoff?

1 Like

I guess it’s more so good practice for a clean grow environment. But I do pour the runoff back into a pot.

2 Likes

I use these, then dump the runoff from the collection tray.

8 Likes

I do with jacks nutrients. With fox farms I would toss it. The main reason for watering to runoff with fox farms is to help prevent salt buildup. Never had a salt buildup with jacks.

8 Likes

I runoff about a cup and let the bag absorb it. I don’t use synthetic nutrients so not concerned with salt build up.

1 Like

Personally , I let my grow bags drip out before placing back into the tent. I don’t leave them sitting in a pool of water. Good luck

9 Likes

Like @kellydans said let you pot dry if you used nute with salt so you don’t get problems on you plants

3 Likes

How do you find out if salts are in one’s nutrients?

The nutrients I am currently using are from Technaflora. How do I tell from the label?

1 Like

@VirginiaGrowBoy
That can nutrients had salt like fox farm you know if you had salt built if you plant started to had some nutrients lookout so she starting to change color on the leaf

1 Like

My 2 cents NO don’t let your run off back into your plant. For reasons listed above salt build and if you are feeding, then you are letting water and nutes that your plant did use you are re introducing all the stuff in that water back to your plant. So would not know 100% what the actual ppm count is, or your ph level because it is getting mixed up. Another reason if you have pools of water just sitting in you tent you run the risk of getting insects that like to leave in those kinds of environment. Now on flip side I live in the USA so during the spring and summer I feed my runoff water to my garden, peppers, tomatoes etc, and they love, or even my wife’s house plants seem to love my girls run off water, just my 2 cents tho

7 Likes

From RX Technologies SYNTHETIC VS. ORGANIC PLANT NUTRIENTS

IONIC ELEMENTS

In order to understand the difference between organic and inorganic (“synthetic” in industry-terms) plant nutrition inputs, it is important to first understand that plants can only absorb nutrients in their ionic form. Ions are elements found on the periodic table that carry either a negative or positive charge depending on the total electrons hanging on to it. A negatively charged ion is called an anion, and a positively charged ion is called a cation. Due to the laws of attraction, anions and cations are attracted to each other when they are together, which leads them to form ionic compounds.

Cations And Ions

FIGURE 1: CATIONS AND ANIONS

Ion Absorption Chart

FIGURE 2: ABSORPTION OF IONS

Ionic compounds made from mineral nutrients are commonly used in synthetic fertilizer blends as a readily available source of food for plants. These are often referred to as mineral salts, not to be confused with table salt, or sodium chloride. Salts, by their chemical definition, are “any chemical compound formed from the reaction of an acid with a base, with all or part of the hydrogen of the acid replaced by a metal or other cation.”

Mineral salts dissociate, or break apart, in water to reveal their ionic nutrients. Calcium nitrate and potassium phosphate are some of the ionic compounds you may recognize as plant nutrients. Plant roots then absorb the dissociated mineral salts as ions. Organic fertilizers can be broken down by soil organisms over time to reveal their ionic, plant-available elements. Plants do not know the difference between organic and inorganic inputs, as they only use nutrients that are available in their inorganic, ionic form. Plants use these inorganic nutrients to make necessary metabolites, such as amino acids, simple sugars and other organic compounds.

3 Likes

@Kingkupa

Using the runoff to feed other plants is a great idea! Definitely will do that!

1 Like

Is magnesium sulfate… and all other sulfates and sulfites… all salts too?

If it ends with -ite or -ate or -ide or just about any other 3 letter suffix, yes. Pretty much every synthetic fertilizer is a salt. It’s not a bad thing, just means the components dissolve easily.

1 Like

So 1 thing on using your run off it works great but I do have 2 blue berries bushes and some times my run off would be to high on ph scale. Blue berries like a little more acidic then my weed plants so just do your home work, and adjust accordingly. If you can’t tell I’m a little on the overkill side but I have nothing else to do lol

2 Likes

Not overkill at all

I absorb about anything I read and stick the take away in my head and pull it out at some future time when it’s needed. Thanks!

2 Likes

I water pots and bags till runoff in extra large wide trays, they suck the water up in 24 hrs often I bottom feed.

Many have used this method since the bronze age with no issues, so if it ain’t broke.

Go organic in supersoil.

4 Likes

No evidence, but my thought on the subject is that your plant will take up the nutrients it needs and leave what it does not use in the soil, if I water to run off I always suck out the run off and in my thought, flushing out the excess nutrients the plant does not use, making room for more of the nutrients that it is using. I have no proof or evidence of this, it is just my thoughts on it and how I do it

4 Likes

I don’t grow in straight coco or Coco peat mine is amended with supersoil. I use very little salt based nutes and only during flowering at that. I want what runs off to suck back up.

In my opinion those who use a straight inert medium like just Coco coir with gobs and gobs and gobs of salt based fertilizer because the dang dirt has nothing a plant needs in it, need to rethink things. It’s expensive, the quality of the smoke is inferior to organic, and all those bottles and salts are bad for the environment.

I’m sure the shysters who sell the nutes love it that many sheep love plain Coco but all your older Cannibis farmers like growing organic with compost with manure with supersoil for a reason.

Good luck!

6 Likes

Yep. Ck substrate pH to ensure the plant can consume the nutrients and use organic nutrients — ensure you are providing 3 primary, 3 secondary, and 7 trace minerals in your nutrition of choice. Water to a very slight runoff (about a cup) only to indicate the pot is completely saturated. Let the pot wick the nutrient rich water which takes about 10 minutes. If pests invade the one cup of runoff in 10 minutes I have bigger problems to deal with.

Buying nutrients, providing them to the plant, then flushing those nutrients out of the plant never made sense to me.

4 Likes