Do the best growing plants usually taste the best?

All my plants are growing pretty differently and one is growing particularly well with a bunch of prominent growth tips. I guess my question is do the best growing plants usually taste the best? One of the main reasons I started this project was to create and preserve a nostalgic memory I have of the first time I ever smoked blueberry and having my mind blown by the taste.

All plants have different growth rates, some taste different than others, and different effects.

2 Likes

I’ve heard that organic grows taste the best. No clue if that’s true.

Yep Organic terps under the sun are the best :laughing:, and no, the look of the plant has very little to do with the terps. Thats mostly a pheno thing.

1 Like

I guess I’ll have to clone them all in late veg and wait until after flower to decide which line to keep going.

1 Like

What the plant looks like in the veg stage determines nothing on how it will look in flower except size.

The bigger the plant is in veg, the bigger it will be in flower

4 Likes

You will find equally as many people make the same claim on the opposite side of the fence. There are people who claim they can tell a difference by smoking it without knowing which way it was grown. There have been single blind studies done that show most people can’t tell the difference. Then there are those that think a 2 week cleanse at the end of the grow makes a difference, and those that do not.
There are also other factors (like temperature) that can significantly change how a flower tastes and smells.
I think the real answer is - in most cases one believes what they want to believe.

4 Likes

With the way my grow is set up, where I am and the fact late flower will be in late October gives me the ability to keep pretty consistent low 60 temps and low humidity. I can’t find any consistent advice on the best conditions to really bring out those blueberry terps though.

I’ve also heard that cold temps bring out some really pretty colors.

I’m a new grower so almost all the the information I’ve retained is off this forum or off the Growcast podcast. I’m not into podcasts but this one is worth a listen for sure.

I’m looking forward to seeing some pics come late October.

1 Like

Colder temperatures at night definitely bring out the nice smells(and sometimes colors). If you are growing indoor and forcing colder temperatures, be careful not to push it too far or you may wind up battling mildew issues.
For the blueberry strain(and many with fruitlike terpenes has been my experience), the longer you let it cure, the more intense the smell and taste will become.

1 Like

Thank you for the advice. I’ll definitely watch out for mildew. By the time October rolls around it’s generally dry enough that I can dedicate the way overpowered dehumidifier strictly to the grow room.

1 Like

I agree that its totally suggesive. The reason people cant tell the difference is because terp profiles are a funny thing. If I hand clones out to 10 people, there will be differences in taste and quality because of different growing techniques and climates. Which one tastes better is a personal thing, I dont like skunky pot, I do like hashy pot, I also like berry flavours and lemony tastes. But then again the spicy tastes are good too. The intensity of those flavours is important too. I dont like super strong tasting weed. So what taste good to some may not be the best for everyone. I personally feel that outdoor is more random, the terps can be quite good because of the large temperature swings in the fall. My greenhouse can swing from 10 degrees at night to 80 during the day in the fall, that has a big effect on weed and is very different than plants that sit near 70 all day and night.

large temp swings near the end of flower really brings out the terpines. Also, for those plants that are color changers, the cold temps really boost that bag appeal.

1 Like

Everybody has made some really great points. The one thing I didn’t read about (or read and forgot) was the harvest time. If terps are what your after you have been advised on that. But when to harvest also has a role in all of this imo. Are the tricomes 20-30% red or do you wait until they are 50-60% red? Not getting the harvest time right could kill the taste and effects. Just saying… peace and good luck

1 Like

The general consensus from what I’ve read is to harvest at 20-30% red/Orange. Idk how that will effect taste yet.