Do my 15 day old bruce banner, gorilla glue and girl scout extreme auto autoflowers. My first grow! Any tips would be appreciated

Staples are great to spread the branches out and keep them low @oldmarine.
This is a jack herer auto. I did not top her. Usually do. Didn’t this time - curious to see what she would do.

4 Likes

Autos can be topped without harm or bery minimal but from the ones ive topped and ones i havnt topped there is really no differences besides u get 1 extra cola that is matched sizes with the main. And about 4 to 6 inches shorter but nothing to run home and tell mama about lol. It is fun to da
O tho and gibes u a bit of hands on with the girls.

3 Likes

@Mark0427 @beardless @HMGRWN @Docnraq @oldmarine @Not2SureYet Im gonna skip the topping for my 1st grow. Definitely gonna LST. Have string, gonna by staples or pins also. Thanks for all the info!! Will be posting some more pics soon. So when do I stop LST Training? How long do I keep tying these girls down?

I made mine out out electric fencing wire. I realize it is not something most people have laying around. However, heavy gauge coated wire works great too. I am actually going to start using it. Bare wire tends to corrode after a while.

1 Like

@Quickness48 i use string sometimes. Lst clips at times but i also just buy the cheap dollar store metal clips and clip that to the to of fab pot and tie to that or i just tie off to the pot riser i try to avoid using stakes and poking thru roots. I did that first grow and switched since

1 Like

I use electrical wiring.

7 Likes

I do the same as you, fabric pots and poke a hole thru. I use wire tie material. Just make sure I don’t constrict tender branches.

Until there is a thick mat of tops starting to flower. Longer if you are gentle and the branches have some give to them. I have seen them twice (or more) as wide as they are tall.

2 Likes

She’s 16" tall and over 3’ wide.

6 Likes

Which gauge works best? The fencing wire I like is 12. 14 works but get pulled up by the branches more. Nice and full. Looks to be about the same age as my Purple Kush. I just took some photos today and will be posting at Let’s Grow Some Purple Kush

3 Likes

Yeah a plant will straighten out smaller wires. I have some scrap 220 wire that I cut into 12" lengths.

I started her 2/09. I wasn’t planning on putting her in flower so soon.

1 Like

You will likely readjust your ties and bends until after the stretch when flowering is in full swing. The stalks and stems will harden making further bending difficult even impossible resulting in snaps and tears.

2 Likes

That’s why i added the nets. Currently it is helping to keep the plant down and later it will help to hold the buds up. 21 days and counting.

1 Like

I opted away from the nets, I like to take my plants out of the tent to do work. 300 watt LED kinda bright and tuff on the eyes. The net seems like it would make working on and checking for bugs etc very difficult and restricted. If your plant has proper silica and other nutes as well as training and cropping will it still need to be tied to hold the buds up? Outside of being abnormally large flower? I’m no pro, not by any means, but it seems silly the idea that a plant, having everything it needs plus all that it could ever want developing, improportionatly, buds over hard enough stems to support them.

1 Like

Do you start day off flip or first sign of flower? I start on flip and note when I see flower pistils

1 Like

@oldmarine @Not2SureYet @beardless @Docnraq @Mark0427 @HMGRWN I also wont put a net cause I like to take the plant out of tent to work on it also. I put 6 autos in my 4 by 4 tent, I think I may of put 1 too many, lol. Its gonna fill up. I hope. I have spare 12 wire also, guess I will use that. When you push the wire into the soil it actually holds well? It doesnt come up? What length are you actually putting into the soil?

3 Likes

Count starts the day I flip them. The tent became available and the plant needed a home. I decided to put her into flower just to see what she would do. I am trying to keep my inside plants as short as possible. This is my first single plant flowering. I usually have a few plants at a time.

2 Likes

@oldmarine what do you mean the count starts the day you flip them? What count and what flip? Sorry, just sont know the lingo. Thanks

2 Likes

Flip is when you change lights to 12 on/12 off. You don’t need to do this for autos. I start counting for flowering at that time (about 8 weeks for Super Skunk). You should start as soon as you see preflowers. I don’t harvest until my trichomes are right, but it gives me a timeline.

4 Likes

You can flip for auto’s if you would like. You can start veg at 24 hrs light then when sexing begins to show flip to an 18/6 schedule. Depends on what you got going on. If you have a small light say 100 watt LED you might want that 24hrs during veg but then when it gets to flower time the plants have a process that only gets done in the dark, so it is beneficial for the plant to “sleep”. Also I gather that resin production happens mostly in the dark, hence the 2 days of darkness most growers put their plants through before harvest. In all honesty, I’m regurgitating things I have read here and elsewhere. Only on my 2nd grow so take what I say with a grain of salt.

5 Likes

If you do your LST and you should be fine with six. Couple around here put that many in a 2x4. I have seen 8 do well. Not for the faint of heart.

2 Likes