Do I need to run exhaust fan constant?

Just moved my plants into a 5x5 grow tent. Was growing in an open room but the smell was stronger than I anticipated. I have a 4 inch carbon filter inline fan and run a small oscillating fan in the tent. my lights are on a 20/4 schedule. will it be ok if my ventilation is on my light timer or should I run it constantly? I hope this tent helps with the smell so my wife doesn’t shut me down. lmao. thanks

6 Likes

Good afternoon :smiley:. This is a really good question. I am also wondering the same thing. My situation is with the cooler weather the exhaust fan sucks all the warm air from the top of my tent. I will tag a few that might help with this question.
@kellydans @JaneQP @merlin44

3 Likes

The more airflow the better. I run my exhaust fan 24/7.

A 4" fan isn’t big enough to mitigate smell in a 5x5. Suggest at least a 6". I run an 8" fan in my 5x5. The best way to manage smell is to have enough exit fan power to draw a partial vacuum (more air going out via the filter than coming in) such that it sucks in the sides of the tent a little bit when it is closed so unfiltered air doesn’t escape the tent.

10 Likes

@MidwestGuy is right on. If you’re fighting smell 24/7 is the only way to go. As soon as you lose the negative pressure the smell will come out. If you do get a bigger exhaust take a look at ac infinity.

6 Likes

Ok thank you I will look into a larger filter and fan. my currwnt setup is definitely not creating a vacuum as far as drawing in the sides of the tent. I also appreciate the brand advice since i dont really know much about the different brands and for sure need to get rid of as much smell as possible.

3 Likes

24/7 exhaust fan running for 2 reasons maintain odor an also exhaust hot stale air out. A 6" exhaust fan Will allow you to run at a lower speed will also be quieter for sure. Happy growing :v:

3 Likes

I second the AC Infinity recommendation. They cost a little more, but they are effective, quiet, and reliable.

4 Likes

My exhaust and intake run 24/7. 6" out and 4" in. Both set at minimum run of 1. Ramp up at temps and humidity dictate. If it goes above 6 i have fears of my tent imploding but that’s a saga for a different day.
Ac infinity is my vote. Fans and controllers are better than vivosun versions i run on different tent. Quiter and seem sturdier, air flow roughly the same.
Ac inf controller 69 much easier to use than vivosun growhub controller. Ended up throwing away growhub controller it was awful

3 Likes

I did hear someone maybe spyderfarm (i think they are black and orange just in time for samhain!) is making a clone of ac inf fans but have no direct experience with them. Maybe someone else does and can chime in

1 Like

I would run continuous myself…as to maintain odor and fresh air and negative pressure

1 Like

I dont even have an intake fan so it seems I may be at least one component away from being set up. I didnt realize i would need one. just kinda planned my build off of looking at kits online Lol. well guess ill order me another 6 inch rig and use this 4 inch one as an intake? Dont know why I didnt even think about air getting in.

2 Likes

Vivosun is trying to sell a knock off smart grow system. I’d stick with ac infinity.

1 Like

the one i have is a vivosun but it just has a turn dial. I guess ill just use it for intake and get a 6 inch system with the temp and humidity control. ill go with the Ac infinity. i just seen a lot of the vivosun so thought maybe it was decent quality. I think my light is spiderfarmer. ive been pretty happy with it but havent used anything else to make a comparison

I do because I want that fresh air coming in and hot air exiting. Also I have my tent in my living room where we are most of the day. I want it sucking in all that CO2 we are breathing out all day long.

1 Like

24/7 but it’s extremely humid here. I have the AC Infinity 6’’ which is fairly quiet on the lower settings. It vents directly into a ceiling vent above but it still stinks with just one plant. The plants definitely grow better with it on all the time.

1 Like

Vivosun excels in advertising and somehow finding first time growers/buyers.

1 Like

Guilty…ive probably spent twice a much money as needed on my set ups because of that. On the plus side my 8 year old now has his own tent and is growing tomatoes and random flowers!!

2 Likes

AC-Infinity has my vote. this is the fan CFM for a T6 from AC-Infinity, as they sent to me.
Tent 4x4x6.5 about 104 cuft tent. 5x5x6 =150 Min speed fan setting #2, then charcole filter, setting #3.
Tent temperature in summer? Ducting and bends efficiency loss, Setting #4.
Suggest T8 and less electricity.

3 Likes

Yes you do need ur exhaust fan on all the time when in flowering stage

2 Likes

so do i unless its empty

1 Like