Do I need cal/mag if watering with hard well water?

If the waters tds (mineral content) is only 75 part per million then there isn’t much of anything in it. Maybe the tds meter you got is not accurate then :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

I’m on well water in the Ozarks as well. It’s loaded with iron, calcium, and of course lime. I’m on the karst Limestone everywhere. And yes the toilets and showers well stain in a week even with filters. Baking soda helps with that.
I’m growing my first Auto now. It’s been doing fine on just tap water. Still a Seedling.
Although I do wish now that I had started it in its final pot. Guess I’ll transplant tomorrow. Live and learn. I should have been reading on this site sooner.

2 Likes

I had a paragraph and deleted to switch around and then forgot I’ve been growing photos outside for decades off well water. After a week or two I add blood meal 12 0 0 and a 2 weeks before flowering I’ll add bone meal 4 15 O

2 Likes

A lot of times things like the calcium in well water aren’t always plant available. You pretty much have 2 choices. Wing it and see, just watch plants and be ready to add/subtract whatever it looks like. Or, get yourself a small reverse osmosis system and strip water then add everything.

4 Likes

From what im reading, the tds is reading low, due to the minerals in the water not being dissolved, making it unusable to the plant. The TDS meter reads the dissolved minerals in the water, from what i see. So basically, im taking it as just excess trash in the water that is useless. I think im gonna try to filter again outside of tap. Doesn’t look like there’s risk to lose anything beneficial from the water by doing so

1 Like

I think that’s what i got. I bunch of useless, undissolved minerals. Should i be prepared to flush more often than schedule shows for the FF trio due to this?

2 Likes

I’m on well water an use cal-mag as needed plant will show signs if I don’t. My PPM is about 120 an PH 6 Out of the tap. Good luck

2 Likes

I’ve grown outdoors here as well, but i’d say i used rainwater as much if not more than the tap water. Whenever i spray the foliage in veg garden with hose, it leaves what looks like red clay splatters all over it. When it dries it rubs right off. Nasty stuff. It didn’t even cross my mind when i started this project until the other day, since i’ve gotten use to it i guess. Now i cant stop worrying about it smh

1 Like

Thank you. I’m gonna order some this afternoon with the sledgehammer flush. Today will be the 2nd solid watering, and no visible signs from the first dose, so fingers crossed i’ll be ok until order arrives

1 Like

East or West NC

Central

1 Like

Western

1 Like

No way! That’s cool. I grew up here. 1 stop light little town, that now has a traffic jam from sunup, til sundown. Few more years, i’d like to move towards kerr lake, where it’s a poor area with limited job opportunities. Less likely growth will catch up there in my life time :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Maybe need to flush a little more, but not a guarantee you will. This is pretty much just going to come down to seeing how things go. I would monitor your ph and ppm in and out and take notes. Depending on how things go you’ll have that info for future grows.

1 Like

I am on well water also and it is full of minerals.
I have grown several auto plants without trouble.
My water changes ph depending on the season, winter it is acidic ( ph of 5.6 ) and summer it is almost neutral ( ph 7.1 ). No one has been able to explain to me why it is that way. Even the guy who was going to install a water softener was baffled!

1 Like

Ph of water will change with temperature. Not sure if explains what you’re seeing though.

1 Like

Im late to this discussion but also live in the Missouri Ozarks.
You can easily find water data by looking for the water report from the nearest town. Unless its a large city these smaller towns all use well water and yours should be very similar.
Will give you a ballpark idea anyway.
here is an example…

3 Likes

@Spiney_norman , we’re not far apart it seems. Is this water ok for you or are you having to RO it?

1 Like

I’m actually west of Springfield a bit. I just used Hartville because it came up first.
My town is on well system but they chlorinate it so I have an RO filter.
The city water when I did use it I let stand for 24hrs to release the chlorine. Then checked the pH and it was over 8. But after adding pH down to get it to 6.8 it worked fine.
My current system is growing in Coco Coir using RO filtered water and Jacks 321. I add the nutes and the pH is always right around 5.8 which is perfect for Coir. I dont even check it any more because it never changes. My plants thrive and I have few to no issues.

1 Like

I’m east of Springfield. I’m on a private well & I’m sure it’s loaded w/lime & calcium. I’ve never needed to have it checked. If I ever get my wife to agree, I’ll be growing. Not there yet…
It’d be nice if it was usable though, straight from the tap & just possibly have to adjust PH.
I’ve conversed with others in our general area that use it with no problems so there is hope.

2 Likes