Do I harvest once the pistals are 70-90% brown?

Question from a fellow grower!

Good morning, I’m REALLY happy with the outcome. I’ve studied your grow guide, and this is my first season. I’m still not certain when I should start the harvest on my Wedding Cake strain. I’ve got lots of buds and some of the pistals on one plant are starting to turn red. They’re outdoors. I’ve put a lot of effort into this and I don’t want to screw it up. Based on what I’ve read, it seems like I should wait until the pistals are 70 - 90% brown. Thanks, Protective plant parent, Ray Long Island, New York Average daytime temperatures now in the 70s, night 60s.

1 Like

Harvest when pistils turn brown/amber and curl up into the bud then… Ck bud trichomes to desired level of cloudiness and % amber.

Don’t worry about sugar leaf trichomes.

1 Like

When the pistils brown and recede it is time to begin looking at trichomes to assess their maturity against your desired taste.

2 Likes

A Complete Guide on When to Harvest Hemp

1 Like

Never judge a plant by its pistils. They will turn amber to dark brown. Then recede into the flower. Now start watching the trichomes with a scope or jeweler loupe.

4 Likes

Based on the pics, you still have quite a while to go. Keep in mind it’s pretty hard to over ripen one. Most people actually harvest to early. I’d go as long as you can based on your weather.

You need to see tricoms at this magnifacation or at least close or better.

notice the brown hairs.