Do have a question on termites. Just found some in the area I planned on growing in

A customer has a question and I hope we can get some opinions on it, thanks

I do have a question on termites. Just found some in the area I planned on growing in. Are they hazard for the plants?

1 Like

I had an Outdoor girl last year and the root was eaten away to the thickness of a #2 pencil, I didn’t notice until it fell over when I brushed against it (was a week from Harvest)
It didn’t hurt the quality, but I think I lost weight…
I put Termite stakes down and took care of the problem…
IMHO I think the little buggers aren’t very good for plants…
Hope this helps…:):v:

Thanks @ILGM.Zoe for your awesome work :wink::+1::ok_hand:

Dear customer,

Most termites do not eat living plants…

However, their nesting and foraging habits make it difficult for your plants to thrive well…

Here’s a link that will teach you how to fight them… Essentially, it’s by baiting them and use orange oil or aloe vera…

https://www.fightbugs.com/kill-termites-without-killing-plants/

Good luck and happy growing…

Why not join the Bergman’s Lab or ILGM forums family, you’ll find many capable and experience growers that will be more than happy to support you in you adventure…

~Al :v: :innocent:

3 Likes

There is only one variety of termites that are a serious threat to a healthy female marijuana plant. Fortunately, they are easy to identify. Look for the long rasta braids denoting the dreaded Jamaican Rasta Termite. They will camp out on a plant until it’s all smoked up. The only cure is to place speakers near your beloved Ladies and play classical music until they leave. :cowboy_hat_face::vulcan_salute::v:

1 Like

Yep, some termites attack a broad range of crops and other plants including trees that have a high cellulose content. Among cereal crops, maize is the most often damaged by termites.

Other crops which are damaged by termites are cotton, deciduous fruit trees, groundnuts, pasture grasses, plantation trees, sorghum, soybeans, sugar cane, tea, tobacco and wheat.

However, plants are readily attacked when they have been damaged or have been under some form of stress, such as drought or sometimes even water logging. Timber may also be damaged.

So it’s possible that cannabis plants will be, under particular circumstances… Prevention and good garden practics is the key…

Incidentally some termites may improve soil quality by building tunnels in the ground and improve penetration of air and water into the ground as well as adding organic matter to the soil.

So, it will depend on the species and where you’re located in the world…

https://www.rentokil.com.jm/termites/species/

~Al :v: :innocent:

@Sittingbull64 lost a few plants this year to termites …