DIY with bridgelux eb strips

@dbrn32
Can the BXEB-L1120Z-30E4000-C-B3 and BXEB-L0280Z-30E1000-C-B3 be connected together and run off the same driver?

I realize I’m driving the 280mm at about 10 watts each, should the 1120mm also be driven at a comparable 40 watts?

I’m starting to design a rack for my Roleadro’s with some supplemental strip lighting around the perimeter for flowering. . I’d like to pull about 150watts, definitely under 200.

You wouldn’t want to do that. The way the led strings are configured on the 280mm strips is different than the 560 and 1120mm strips. The 280mm is 19.5 volt nominal with max current of 700ma. The 560mm is 19.5 volt nominal with max current of 1400ma. And the 1120mm strip is 39 volts nominal with max current of 1400ma.

So while you could probably make some combination like that work, it doesn’t make a lot of sense to do it that way. How many strips of what size are you looking to do? I can help find a driver.

Thank you. I figured as much.
In that case, I’m thinking 4 of the 1120mm. Not a final answer though. :+1:

Don’t spend time researching just yet. I’m just in the early stages of figuring out what I’m trying to do, as well as a simple design.

1 Like

You want dimming or anything like that?

I hadnt considered dimming. But now that you mention it, it might come in handy to get the light balanced between the Roleadro cobs and the light strips.

Are there any disadvantages to adding dimming, (other than cost)?

Not really. They are more expensive. Otherwise if you go with b style dimming it would require you to hook up a potentiometer. But you can get the a style with built in, will allow you to dim down to 50%.

1 Like

I’ll add that to what I’m considering.
When I’m closer to a design I’ll start another thread; So I don’t get new readers too confused In this one.

Thanks again.

At this rate you’re going to have to get a personalized category just for lighting. :joy:

3 Likes

Haha ya maybe!

You may run into a small snag there with having to buy a little more driver than you need, depending on current you decide. Hlg-185h-c1050 will run 4 1120mm gen 2 strips at about 40 watts per strip. If you go non dimming the lpc-150-700 will run 4 at just under 30 watts per strip, but a little more efficiently than the 40 watt strips.

1 Like

Happy birthday, Brother!

d031291435dac46c8fdf9c7dab52ef36

3 Likes

Thank you sir, much appreciated!

1 Like

Well, took two days to get through just this one topic with the way my device is working, but finally made it!

Now I have to throw something else in the works. What about a DIY COB light? I’ve seen you doing a QB build, but not COB. I know you also do those, so I wanted to ask.

Comparing the two types of light, which is more bang for the buck? I like the COB lights, but the strips seem like they would provide a more even coverage. Am I just looking at the light dispersion wrong?

Perhaps you could dumb it down real good for me? Money is a serious issue for me, but I want to spend my little bit of money on something that would have low run cost with good longevity. If the price difference is close, I would naturally go for performance, but I really only need enough light to do a 4x4 area.

One other question…I’ve seen your logo on @MattyBear tent. Do I have to get something from you to get it or would you be willing to ship me some? I’m pretty sure I could get some advertising done for you in Florida with some logos. :wink:

Thanks for this topic, Brother…

3 Likes

I certainly do cobs, more than anything else. I’m usually just pressed for time. I prefer them, but I haven’t flowered anything under a qb styled light either.

I think the biggest difference is that the cobs require more height at the same power level due to the more condensed light intensity. That’s a bigger issue for some than others, based on height of space and style of growing. There’s a lot of talk about the pcb styled lights having advantages of being spread out, and more even canopy intensity levels. But I don’t feel like you can look at a grow and see a lot of differences based on that alone. Matt’s strips are stacked right on top of each other and doesn’t appear to hampering him much. Long story short, I don’t think his grow would look any different if he had a single 100 watt cob. He would probably just need to run it a little higher to get the coverage.

Nice to see you like the stickers too. I’ll see what I can’t do to get you a couple.

7 Likes

Here’s a couple of cob lights I’ve done

8 Likes

Here’s a light that has a quantum board and cobs

9 Likes

Thanks about the stickers!

So what are the advantages/disadvantages to combining the strips with the COBs? It seems like it would be simpler to go with one or the other.

Don’t get me wrong, I like the combo…

2 Likes

One of the advantages I can think of right off the top of my head is you can use 90 CRI cobs with the strips/ QB are usually 80CRI minus the 324 board which is a mixture.

1 Like

That’s my squirrel project. The plan for that light was to veg under the quantum board with cobs dimmed, and then flower under the cobs with the quantum board dimmed in my 2x2.

It’s definitely not a very practical application, and a very expensive light for that space. It would be much much simpler to do one or the other. @Aolelon pointed out the biggest advantage to something like that. You have way more choices in light spectrum using cobs. Not that the mid power diodes don’t have a plenty good enough light spectrum. They just aren’t really available like those particular cobs.

4 Likes

I’m loving that quantum board/cob setup. :grin::+1::+1::kissing_heart:

2 Likes

It’s a bit more advantageous to have a vegging tent with a 4000 or 5000 K light, and a flowering tent with a 3000 or 2700 K light. Then you can run both lights all the time. Your vegging light should be at least 25 watts per square foot, and your flower light approaching 50 watts per square foot. Of course, if you get really efficient lights those numbers go down. That approach gives more yield than only doing veg or flower at a time.

Plus you can have a perpetual grow this way, have a couple plants starting, a couple ready to go into flower, some just flowering, and some about to harvest, you can maximize a grow this way

1 Like