DIY with bridgelux eb strips

Ha, gotcha!

2 Likes

9 Likes

Real nice. Wow nice set up !

2 Likes

Okay well @Angie made that look so easy that it has sparked my interest ! What size aluminum plate, and how many 560mm strips, and what driver will run all them, to get 200va actual per board, (14) ?, double what @Angie built and if going to 200va will I need more than one driver and :slightly_smiling_face:add heat sink to the back? @dbrn32 Basically I want to build 2 of them, drawing 200va ea. to put in my 4x4 tent. Is that feasible?

2 Likes

Pretty much anything is feasible. 200 watt light on single fixture with bridgelux eb gen2, here is what I would do… 14 560mm strips on meanwell hlg-185h-c700a driver per fixture. It’s kinda big for a plate heatsink, but could be done. Instead of a plate I would look at buying some heatsink from heatsink USA. The 1" profile would be enough.

For a bigger light like that, you may even find some value in using Samsung f-series strips. They’re more expensive, but you wouldn’t need as many of them.

3 Likes

Thank you @zparkie2!!

2 Likes

Ok, thx for the reply, right to the heat sink? no aluminum plate? What size heat sink from heatsink usa would you order? Thx buddy.

Putting 200 watt on plate is just asking the plate to do a lot of work in displacing heat. You can do it though.

This is the stuff I would probably use. 24" pieces work out to be $4 something a piece I think

Coincidentally, you could use same heatsink on those f-series strips and buy less of each. I think it was actually cheaper than building with bridgelux strips. Let’s ask @DoobieNoobie, I think he has exactly that light

5 Likes

What is the method used to fasten the strips of extruded aluminum, probably in the hundreds of threads from you out there @dbrn32 but I am having some kidney issues and it is hard to go back and look for stuff, gets painful sitting in one spot too long, but do you use the same thermal tape to attach the LED strips that you would the extruded aluminum? or rivets for the extruded aluminum? thx for you support.

3 Likes

No problem, I’ll get you whatever you need. The thermal transfer tape is adhesive on both sides. All you have to do is clean with a little rubbing alcohol, peel, and stick.

4 Likes

This is great @dbrn32. I was actually going to see if I could get some guidance from you and I saw this. Thanks for the info! Love this site and all the knowledge. So much better than the others.

Jonny

4 Likes

Always happy to help with light projects. Let me know what you need and I’ll do my best.

4 Likes

Okay @dbrn32 Going with the f series, |SI-B8U521560WW|SI-B8U521560WW|
|Description|LED MOD FSERIES GEN3 3500K STRIP|
Looks like I am going to buy 10 of these for 266.83
mount 5 on one board and 5 on another, Can you help me on picking the driver? and can that driver be dimmable? Would that be a top of the line LED for that money or am I on the wrong trail and there is something better ?

2 Likes

@dbrn32 Correct me if I am wrong, looks like those strips are 46v ea. @ 1.12 amps ea. = 51.52 watts. So 5 on one board would be around 250 watts right?
So with my blurples I got 8oo watts, 4x4=16 x 50 = 800 watt canopy area
with these we can go less right? So I will have 250 and 250 makes 500, is that good canopy coverage for them? thx in advance. 4x4 tent with 3 plants, made mistake trying to grow 4 in there and not enough room. If this is too much light let me know.

3 Likes

Let me go check those part numbers

3 Likes

Ok, those are double row strips. The meanwell drive current closest to their test data is 1050ma. The driver for 5 of them in series is meanwell hlg-240h-c1050a.

That’s a very good choice, two fixtures running 5 each would give you pretty good ppfd average in a 4x4. The one thing that you’ll have to do is buy a little wider heatsink profile. The double row f-series is about 40mm wide, quite a bit wider than the 1" heatsink profile I pictured above. The 2.079 may be better choice there.

3 Likes

That’s outstanding !

2 Likes

Well I have a plan , and thanks for your guidance to help me vision something I can build to better my grows. @dbrn32 The part numbers you provide sure do help everyone.

2 Likes

I try to make it simple. It really does look more intimidating than it is.

2 Likes

Another question @dbrn32 is this tape ok, even though it is 30 mm and i need 40 mm It will work right?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075F37SQG/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B075F37SQG&pd_rd_w=f5qDn&pf_rd_p=80559f3c-f83b-49c1-8a72-40f936e9df7a&pd_rd_wg=USvVM&pf_rd_r=B39DWGC214F3CKEE9YWN&pd_rd_r=27ff1b92-49e1-11e9-8677-7f4a6c855b4a

1 Like