DIY with bridgelux eb strips

The Eb gen1 strips are obsolete, they still work. Check out the EB gen 2 strips.
Alternatively. Google “ledgardener diy strip”
The first link that pops up gives a list of good strip builds, parts numbers, and prices. Locations of where to buy.

2 Likes

Also I think you should challenge your buddy. Make a bet with him, cause as soon as he sees your DIY light. I almost bet he will be all over it.

3 Likes

You read my mind! :rofl:

2 Likes

BC blondes has a nice fixture for around 850$ USD as well. It uses Lm561c s6 diodes. 680w.

1 Like

Bridgelux replaced original eb model with 2nd generation is all. As far as I know the eb gen 2 is current production. There are newer strips you can work with though if you want, from Samsung and Phillips.

Personally, I don’t feel like your light spectrum matters as much as a lot of people claim if you have good intensity. A 3000k 90 cri light spectrum is clearly better on paper than a 3000k 80cri, and time and time again they produce similar on a per watt basis. Obviously there’s reasons we don’t grow with all blue or all red lights. But little tweaks here and there aren’t going to change much.

1 Like

I’m on the HLG site and I’m like a kid in a candy store.
I’m going to research all the different light strips tomorrow. Gotta get ready for work. Thanks again for everyone’s help. It’s appreciated more than you know.

2 Likes

Would you say a single qb288 would adequately cover 3’x3’ in flower?

2 qb 288’s is what you’d want. The xw 260 kit is designed for a 3x3.

2 Likes

I just bought 2 QB 288s and can’t wait to start using them.

3 Likes

Dope! You sourcing everything else and assembling yourself?

It’s definitely something that’s hard to quit doing once you get through your first light haha.

2 Likes

Of course. I got advice from the best.

Then on to the Roleadro cob replacement. :+1:

I should be all quantum board/light strip/cob equipped for my winter grow. Looking to streamline my efficiency.

1 Like

Nice! You’ll be cooking with steam for sure!

2 Likes

So 2 for 3x3, I would need 48 panels to cover my 12x18 area?

Depends on how you lay out room really. What you need for coverage will change if you have dead floor space for walkways or whatever.

I think I figured out what I will be doing for my lighting solution. I will build one light for each plant based on the strips & driver listed below. These are supposed to cover 4’x4’. This would, in theory, give each plant 16 square feet of lighting and to do 12 of these would cost me less than $4,000.

Let me know what you guys think about this!

4x Samsung LT-FB24B 4′ Strips
1x Mean Well HLG-480H-48A Driver

1 Like

I don’t usually recommend parallel wiring due to risks of thermal or current runaway. But it is usually cheaper to do them that way. If you go that route, watch his videos on setting up drivers appropriately.

How would you wire it? I want it to be safe and he states that these are untested diagrams that were drawn up for reference. Would you wire in series. Black out from first to the red on the next and so on…

1 Like

Yes, all of my builds are wired in series using constant current drivers. Especially if they leave my garage for someone else. That way if there becomes an open in the circuit the whole circuit is just off.

There are risks there too though. It usually means a dangerously high circuit voltage. The kind that will do more than a little tingle if you get into it. You just have to make sure that you do a solid clean job wiring, and not use cheesy connectors. Then, make sure you power down light before you go messing with it.

1 Like

Are these decent?

AC_SY400

1 Like

Actually in series I won’t need those…