Diving into indoor Photoperiod grow, LSD

First attempt at indoor photo period plant, done several autos. First 2 seeds failed to germinate, followed ILGM germination recommendation. Finally got one to sprout and let’s say she didn’t have the best of starts. It took over a week to shed her seed hull, one little leaf poking out like the rest of her was getting eaten by a monster of sorts :joy:.

Once she shed the hull, it was game on…until I happened :roll_eyes:. Here I am, thinking more was always the answer, caused her to get light burn.

Lesson learned, more is NOT always better. Had seedling under 460 watts, no bueno, started to get light burnt at 36". Reduced light output to 230 watts and added 2 Chinesium burples for added light spectrum. In just a few short 4 days, she has really started to thrive, so much that I even gave her her first of many haircuts. Just a little off the top please.

Looking of any and all advise, always looking to learn something new.

Broke ground Feb 3rd

Once she broke free of hull she took off…somewhat (this is when I noticed light burn)-

Made the above mentioned changes, transplanted her into 5 gal self wicking bucket.

Here we are, Feb 19-23-

Temps stay about 80° +/- 2° and humidity at approx 55%

1 Like

Was looking for someone else growing feminized LSD! This is mine 26 days old. Did you do anything to get her to spread out. Mine is quite dense.

1 Like

This is before I reduced my light output, the nodes were tight. Now she is thriving with better spaced nodes, maybe move your lights up to make to stretch more? Hopefully seasoned growers will chime in.

Happy to meet a fellow LSD grower!

So my issue is tent height. See my other thread, Beginner grower - Yellow Leaves at bottom of plant

I do have some other lights I can try.

When did you do your manicuring?

1 Like

This is my first photo but I’m treating it like I do autos when it comes to that. Depending on health of plants, usually the 4th or 5th node. There are before and after picture above.

I would cut the top node, called topping. It will force plant to grow out more, not up. Try that before changing light.

Welp, here we go! Before and after! I’ll leave lights and give a few days and see what she looks like.
1614186881586|666x500

Looks great! Keep me updated!

Keep me posted on yours too! Mine broke soil on 1/31 so I am just a few days behind you. I’ve had some learning curves early on…

1 Like

Decided to give her 1/2 gal PH water, still no nutes. She seems to have adjusted very nicely to the reduced light output. In this picture, she is 3 weeks.

Lighting guys, what do you think of the node spacing?

I have also decided to start soaking a GSCE auto seed, might as well grow an auto while I wait in this one to veg out nicely.

New picture, she is going :muscle::muscle: after reducing the light output. Still no nutes, running off of 4-4-4 dry amendments. On the 3rd, she gets 2 tablespoons Molasses with her watering. Also decided to start a GSCE auto, tail popped after 2 days soaking, dropped into soil today.

She is looking good. Node spacing is right on. What size pot is she in? She is growing out nicely. You mentioned you wanted to have a good long veg period. What are you thinking time wise? Planning on any LST or other training?

1 Like

@beardless She is in a 5 gal container, this is my first indoor photoperiod plant so I’m not sure how long to veg out.
I’ve seen anywhere from 45 days to 90 days. I want a nice even canopy, about 2x2 and not too tall.

I have great success with LST so I will probably stick with that and a little HST until I get more experience under my belt, then I’ll try a net. I already topped the top node, not sure where else to top for a bushier plant.

The last photo seeds I vegged for 70 days. I did a lot of LST on them and kept pretty low.

Here are my updated LSD plants. Definitely stronger after topping and moving lights up. Will she spread out further?

1 Like

Just to add, my tent is only 3ft height so I need to do alot of training. Looking also for bushy and short. Looking forward to the suggestions.

1 Like

@Abarnett88. What size planter?

In 3 gallon fabric. I just bought 1 gallon fabric as same width and 2 inches shorter. Hesitant to transplant now into smaller pot

@Abarnett88 3 gal is perfect size to fit in milk crate, milk crates make awesome tied down points for LST.

Do not go smaller than 3 gal.

Thx for advice with milk crates. I’ve been doing some reading this afternoon and since I topped, experience doing a scrog? Seems like a good solution to address height concerns I have.