Distance from canopy for LED lights

i have a cheap 3 way tester from a discount store and it has a meter to check light, the scale is 0 to 2000, i am wondering if this could mean Lumen s, which brings me to my real question how far away do i need to keep my LED lights the fixtures have built in fans and have hardly any heat at all it only raises my tent temperature by 3°F and what is the recommended lumen to have at the canopy,holding my cheap tester directly under the LED light at 4 inches the meter reads 1800 to 2000 and about a 12 inches below it drops to 1000 - 1200, is there such thing as too many lumen’s

My understanding of the cheap 3 way testers is that they are basically useless. Can you put up pictures of plants and lights. If your lights are Chinese lights off Amazon turn off and take pics with natural light or flash on camera.

will do, in a few minutes i will take pics with my Chinese lights turned off…lol, BTW i really like these lights they impressed me during veg stage, long time ago i tried florescent lights and was not happy with the results as i ended up with tall spindly stemmed plants that couldn’t hold themselves up they where so sad looking and they never made it to flower stage, the only one that survived was the one gave away to a friend who had a growing operation, i purchased these Chinese LED lights back in Nov of '19, i then brought the plants indoors when they where a few weeks old and the plants grew thick stemmed short plants, i didnt buy enough lights at first so i had to leave 2 plants outdoors for a couple extra weeks until i could get more lights from China and the indoor plants grew better than the outdoor plants, which sold me on these lights not to mention they are very affordable, i was able to buy all 8 of the lights needed for my 4 x 8 tent for about the same price as just a couple of the american based lights, fyi i am still waiting on the remainder of the lights (5 lights) to come in as i only ordered a couple per week, i seem to be rambling on lol, please bear with me, its because i am operating in stealth mode so i dont have anyone to talk to about my secret project, now that i discovered this forum i can talk about it and i have months of bottled up discussion in me…

4 Likes

We’re all here to listen @frankiefingers

1 Like

Sorry I wasn’t trying to insult, you didn’t mention what kind Led. I started with 2 450 Viparspectra’s. They actually did a decent job. Buds were light and fluffy. I still use them for seedlings and early veg. Chinese light comment was just referring to the fact most LEDs on Amazon are made in China. I’m operating in stealth mode also. I’m in a illegal state. No one knows I’m growing. Hopefully your lights will be able to grow nice dense flowers. As far as distance most light manufacturers will recommend 18" to 24" depending on what stage of growth you are in. Most of the Chinese LEDs are very misleading when they list them as 450 watts they are not likely to be pulling 450 watts from wall. Which means that even though they will grow decent plants , when you go to flower they don’t have enough power to really grow heavy dense buds

i was not offended at all and found humor in the the Chinese comment about the lights, funny thing s there is zero PN or model information on the lights it make’s me wonder if they may be counterfeit lights, i did ramble on a bit but that’s because i finally found an out let to talk about this project, its been really tough on me by not being able to ask questions and update my progress along with discuss my ideas and mostly get experienced knowledgeable reply to my ideas, i am one of those people who like to talk about my projects just to see if i am headed in right direction, but long story short i really am happy with the Chinese lights, at first i thought it could have been a waste of money but i am having good results with them, it makes me want to try a better led light and compare results, but honestly i do not believe they are equal 5000 watts of other forms of light, i think i read they only use 45 watts of power, but i never had or used any other lights except some 4 ft florescent with grow lamps in them and they were terrible the results were pitiful enough to make me give up for almost 40 years, if i was to try a better grade LED could you recommend any particular brand or model but i still need to buy 4 more of these ones before i start any upgrades, i just laid out quite a bit of money on other items like the tent which i went with VIVOSUN 108 x 48 x 80 two in one tent and its really nice i have had it almost a week now and it also made giant improvement buy itself before i had a homemade tent

then i had to also get all the gadgets such as PH meter TDS meter times power strips pots,soil, nutes and even a Hydroponic set up that’s bubblegum DWC with top feeder, plus many more items…LOL yes i went completely crazy when came to ordering the accessories lol fancy timers when i had a perfectly fine timer already in use… haha i like shopping just as much asseeds growing… any ways i will tweek it as time goes on, i ordered white widow feminized seeds, white widow autoflower seeds and blue dream feminized seeds,

1 Like

I’m going to tag a couple people who can better help you. While I have some opinions about lights, I don’t really have enough experience to give you the kind of information that would benefit you the most. @Myfriendis410 @Nicky @Covertgrower

1 Like

right now i have three 5000 watt no name lights that have red blue IR and Uv the are 12 inch square and my goal is to end up with 8 total in my 4 x 8 tent have 3 on order as we speak and payday i will order 3 more, on the small side of the tent that is 1x4x7 the tent has shelf so i ordered 3 of the same no name brand lights but they are 12 x 6 and advertise to be 1500 watts but i do want to order 3 more on payday so there will be 3 on top shelf of small side and 3 on bottom shelf of small side, i may be getting to many but i figure if they are inferior i may do good by have more than one every other foot my grow room is climate controlled so heat shouldn’t be an issue, oh i also bought one of the charcoal air filter to scrub the air clean of odors before discharging into the attic, so with that info do you think i have a good chance to have decent crops, i am hoping to get at least 1/2 the yield that is advertised for the strains i chose

HLG550 will properly cover a 4x4 area. (Horticulture Lighting Group )
I highly recommend this company.

I personally have a Rapid LED kit, if you’re capable of the DIY route. This covers a 4x4 also. @frankiefingers

3 Likes

It sounds like you are willing to spend the money. I’m just guessing but you probably paid about $100 for each light. You said your buying 8 . For that amount of money you can get a state of the art that will light up 4x4 area and grow dense heavy buds

2 Likes

Even if you decide to stay with current lights, you could consider like @Covertgrower said there are DIY lighting. HLG LED lights are definitely top flight. I bought lights from Budget led there lights are also excellent. My first grow was with cheaper LEDs they grew nice looking plants. As a matter of fact the buds were huge. The problem is they were extremely fluffy and light. With 4 plants I only produced 3 or 4 ounces. After the effort and time I was a little disappointed in results.

2 Likes

You always save, and get better quality when you do it yourself.
If you can jumpstart a vehicle following + and - signs, you could wire a light.

3 Likes

I haven’t read your full thread but if you ordered those lights from Amazon and can return them for a refund I can’t stress this enough as the proper course of action.

If you spent 100$ each light at 3 lights and 3 more on next payday then that’s 600$ instead you could go with HLG or if you have the time and some basic shop tools DIY route to save a good chunk of mobey while getting a superior light.

@Bulldognuts is giving you his first hand experience as would be any other grower on here that the no name lights are junk.
After a year the LED’s start to burn out and even within that year the results are sub par.

HLG’s DIY kits are more money but will last the test of time and produce solid buds, Remeber your attempting to imitate the sun so 100$ light doesn’t really do that well. With HLG DIY kits you just need to know how to plug a wire into a hole and use a zap strap and a screwdriver.

Two of these kits will work great in a 4x4

@Covertgrower also recommended a good option, but personally I like more than 1 board as I can adjust the canopy for the plants as they grow different heights like so

2 Likes

Honestly you’re making fairly good decisions about setup. I’m not that experienced myself. I’m only on my 3rd grow. My second grow I grew 4 again with new lights from Budget led. I had considerably better results. I pulled nearly a pound, 418 grams. The amount I grew on first grow didn’t last even half way through second grow. :cold_sweat: Currently on 3rd grow still have at least half left from 2nd grow. Once you get setup and growing you should consider starting grow journal. If you do you can ask a lot of questions about growing and get answers on one thread. Also try to take some time to read through some threads on lights. I regret that I wasn’t aware of ILGM FORUM. There’s a lot of good folks on here that will help you be successful. Check out people’s journals you can learn a lot just reading through them. Mine is Bulldognuts first grow journal. It’s pretty basic but there’s some decent info there. By the way Welcome to ILGM FORUM.

1 Like

actually these lights are only $37 each if i buy 3 at a time

ok good info, by DIY you mean i will build it ? thanks sounds like fun i am good with my hands and enjoy projects like this, and also am prepared mentally to have light buds from this first grow due to cheap lighting, have to say tho they sure are pretty right now but dad is supposed to be proud of his baby girl haha

1 Like

i just bought a real nice hard back note book last night to start keeping a handwritten journal, one thing i am noticing on the DIY top feeding bubble phonics DWC system i just set up yesterday is the PH rose back up to where i started at (PH 7.1) in just about 8 hours after adjusting nutrient mix to 5.9 and the TDS dropped just a little in same time period after mixing nutrients it was 318 tds and 8 hours later it had dropped down to 277, when the lights come back on this morning i will check again, i have attached pics of lights with lights off, the plants were started in a much smaller space and were just moved into this tent just 4 days ago so it appears i have not used my space wisely but again they were started elsewhere in much smaller space and are already in the flower stage and i just got my tent set up oh BTW i used the LST method of just bending the tops over and securing them down for a week then releasing the tops to make the plants bushy i think it worked fairly well please offer your opinion on that subject

1 Like

yes i already figured the lights where bottom of the line and i want to upgrade them in time but since i am new at this and still getting set up with all the gear i opted for the cheap ones so i could spend more elsewhere like the Stealth grow tent with air scrubber charcoal filter and the seeds and so on, i figured investing in that was top priority after i get every thing i need to start and learning more about it and learning the importance of each part of the system i will upgrade most items, i started with general hydroponics floro series nutes in my DWC bubbleponics system because they seemed simple to use, please offer your opinion on these, i also agree with your opinion of have 2 boards on lighting to be flexible on raising the lighting to match the canopy, i have been reading just about everything i can find on growing tips and techniques if you have any books to recommend i would appreciate it, and any thing you see that i am doing wrong or right please post your opinions on them thanks in advance

1 Like

i have a quick question you say your harvest of 418 grams (btw i think thats awesome), how big was the space that this was grow took place?

4x8, I had half of tent as growspace. Used other half for portable a/c unit, humidifier, fan and supplies.

1 Like