Dispensary vs Homegrown

So I used to dream of the day that Dispensaries would be open and the world of weed opened up to the masses. Now its a reality and im kind of disapointed. Every dispensary ive been too has plenty of variety in all forms of cannabis. But the Flowers are never as good as what im growing. The highs never last as long, and rarely as intense as my own. I literally traded a quarter for a quarter last night to a dispensary owner so he could sample my products and i got some of his top shelf. Terps were weak, and the buzz was less than. I know this cant just be a me thing.

21 Likes

And back in the day Homegrown was the universal sign of crappy weed where im from.

22 Likes

I give all of my excess to a buddy in a neighboring state. He gave a sampler of several strains to one of his friends who is a very heavy user and has only used dispensary buds.

The report was that my buds were more potent and tasted better than any dispensary buds he had ever had. The buds he received from my friend were over a year old, so not even fresh.

14 Likes

Out here i think theyre buying all the old cali weed that didnt make the grade and selling it as fresh and thier own. As well as tumbling the crap out of the buds shaking them for all the trichomes for edibles.

12 Likes

I get the same thing here. I cant compete with 40$ zips though.

7 Likes

They tell me they are paying $200 - $300/zip for top shelf. I don’t sell any, just grow for myself and give away a couple of lbs of excess each grow.

Edit: My estimated cost is about $35/zip to grow.

9 Likes

The Reservations dont have to comply with federal or state tax or guidelines so its like the wild west out here. The top shelf doesnt go for 40 a zip but when thats an option to buy, the average smoker is going for the 40$. I would have back in the day and definetly would for edibles.

7 Likes

LOL We are nearly as far west as you can get (continental US)…about 50 minute drive to the Pacific Ocean. :grin: :man_mage:

4 Likes

Used to live in Manteca Ca back in the 90s :slight_smile:

4 Likes

We are about 600 miles north of Manteca.

2 Likes

Yes please <3 im so ready to head back out west

1 Like

I have quite a few friends/family out in the Washington/Oregon area.

3 Likes

Right. You’ll run across some really good stuff from dispo every once in a while, but it doesn’t receive the same care as decently setup home grow.

11 Likes

I’m 120 miles south in Fresno

3 Likes

It is my understanding (and it makes sense) that most commercial growers are growing clones and rely on time for harvest rather than fool around monitoring trichomes. This often times results in a racey, paranoid high or couch lock because they either chop a bit too soon or too late for optimal results.

I have never really talked with a commercial grower and have never tried any dispensary buds so may be speaking out of school. :blush:

7 Likes

Stayed in Fresno for about a month while i was out that way. Lived in Hayward, Culver City, and Manteca. And went to a wedding in Longbeach once.

2 Likes

There may be some truth to this, but probably varies a lot by location. I think a lot of this is due to drying and cure techniques. A commercial center is more focused on getting the product out and with as much weight as possible. But most of us more willing to keep this process slow and steady. We’re also more likely to give plants individual care when necessary instead of having thousands of plants on the same automated nutrient solution.

8 Likes

I have never bought dispensaries weed. Too afraid of how its grown and what they spray on it. I am within couple miles of about 25 dispensaries.

8 Likes

Harris Ranch is one of my all-time favorite restaurants.

4 Likes

I got a 1/4 from a dispensary in Vegas a few years ago and when I opened the pack it was still wet. I was torqued off. The weed was fi9ne, but still…

4 Likes