Discussion on taking clones?

Im not necessary 100% going to take any clones yet, i know nothing really of the process and it sounds like an interesting topic, i do have a beautiful skywalker OG feminized plant that i have thought about taking clones from, but not gonna do it not knowing the process obviously, id like to start cloning eventually though

6 Likes

Very nice! Hellraiser has been mia for a while now, but this thread should give you some solid guidance.

6 Likes

Clones are interesting, I have 6 right now just took the mother down. Also I have these clippings in water for I’m thinking 3 weeks waiting to decide. I read on a post someone mentioned putting the clippings in the fridge and they will still grow when needed.

If I can clone anyone can easy peasy

5 Likes

When you are trimming go ahead and take a couple of cuttings. Clean them up and prepare them, dip in root hormone and stick them in some water. Then put the cuttings in some prepared seedling mix. Call it practice.

9 Likes

When cloning it’s also good practice to clip the leafs. This will help promote root growth. Cloning can be a blast and very rewarding.

7 Likes

Cut the clones as described in the previous posts. Then dip the stems in root tone. Then put them in Root Riot plugs. You can buy the tray of Root Riot plugs, and cut as many cells from the tray that you want. If your clone is taking from a plant in veg stage you can cover it with a dome. Put the clones under low light 10-15 DLI, keep the plugs damp, (Not wet), for about a week or so. After you see roots coming out of the plugs you can transplant, and increase the light.

4 Likes

Directions on point!!

1 Like

Cloning is one of the easiest things to do.
If you want to just test it out do what is said above.
Cut a little shoot from down low on the plant and scrape the side a little then stick it in the dirt and water it. Rooting hormone will help. I got mine at Lowes. But just sticking one in the dirt is enough. A clear cover will help it not to wilt from loss of water… Nothing to it really. Takes 10 to 14 days to root. Some place it in a clear cup and then place the clear cup in a red or blue solo. Then you can see the roots.

3 Likes

Im a hydro guy, so itd be rockwool cubes for me, but same concept! Awesome, thank you!

2 Likes

The Root Riot plugs can be used with either soil or hydro. They kinda feel like little sponges, and stay together much like rock wool does.

1 Like

Theres nothing wrong with using rockwool though correct? I only ask because i already have a few sheets of it lol

1 Like

I have never used rock wool to clone, so don’t know the answer.
I used to use the Jiffy peat pellets, and always had ph or issues maintaining the plug’s moisture. The Root Riot plugs with their plastic cells eliminated these issues for me.

1 Like

I also have the jiffy plugs :sweat_smile: thats actually what i used for the plant im growing now because i didnt have the rockwool yet, I have a fully temperature and humidity controlled room, would i need a humidity dome when the room is already just a little under 70%?

I wouldn’t use a dome with the humidity that high.

1 Like

I take my clones every year outside august 1 and root em in the outside in the shade. I just put them in 1” or 4” pots and 10 gallon aquariums. Then I leave an inch of water flooded in the bottom. If they are still upright day 7 they always live. If they fall over limp don’t touch them or brace them. They usually fall over limp like 75%. Leave them alone. I find they always die if I touch them. But 90% of them stand back up around day 5. If they haven’t stood up by day 7 recut the clone. It’s a dud. I quit using rooting hormone a decade ago and never went back. It’s not needed.

Once they stand up at day 7 I quit flooding the bottom inch of the aquarium. They won’t have visible roots for 7-10 more days. I also take 3 clones to a pot if I use the 4”. But just 1 plant if I use the 1” cube pots.

2 Likes