Discoloring on the leaves etc. What am I doing wrong?

A question from a fellow grower:

“I need expert advice about what’s going on with my plants. We keep running into the same problem and we can’t figure out what we’re doing wrong. Pictures are attached of the setup/light fixture, plants and a couple issues we’re having.”

It’s best to take photos in natural light. Burple lights mask problems.

2 Likes

The biggest thing I see is that they need more light. The long stems between nodes shows the plant is stretching to reach up for the light. Looks like a decent setup, if you have good airflow through there. Even if you’re not worried about smells, your plants need a fresh supply of air for CO2 and O2. I’m not sure what lights you have there, but the manufacturers of that type of lighting unfortunately wildly mislead their customers with claims of “equivalent to” wattage of HID lighting, causing people to improperly size their fixtures for the space they’re trying to light. If they have veg and bloom switches, turn both switches on, and that will give you more intensity. You can probably also lower the fixtures closer to the plants gradually. That will slow the stretching, and get more light deeper into the plant. It looks like most of the leaves they’re losing are down low, maybe where light isn’t penetrating well, or maybe they’re underfed, and consuming the nutrients from those leaves because of it. They could even be getting too big for the buckets they’re in. You should join the forum and tell us more about the specifics of your setup, what you’re feeding and how often, etc. You can fill out a support ticket to get us all on the same page.

COPY/PASTE the below list into your forum post.

Answer these simple questions the best you can.
If you do not know, or do not use something; Just say so; Or post
NA (non applicable)

• What strain, Seed bank, or bag seed
  • Method: Soil w/salt, Organic soil, Hydroponics, Aquaponics, KNF
  • Vessels: Pots, Grow beds, Buckets, Troths
  • PH of Water, Solution, runoff (if Applicable)
  • PPM/TDS or EC of nutrient solution if applicable
  • Indoor or Outdoor
  • Light system
  • Temps; Day, Night
  • Humidity; Day, Night
  • Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size
  • AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier,
  • Co2; Yes, No

Always try to upload a clear picture of any issues you may have to allow the community to assist you.

Add anything else you feel would help us give you a most informed answer should be included. Feel free to elaborate, but short and to the point questions and facts will help us help you in a more efficient manner :slight_smile:

Thanks!

7 Likes

Support didn’t make them fill out a “support ticket” :thinking:

Soil (type / perlite?)
Water (Type / ph?)
Nutrients (type / ph?)

Just a few questions to get a baseline read.

What’s the definition of insanity again?

1 Like

First welcome my first thoughts with the Leafs totally yellow with no Burns leads me to believe hungry and feeding off of itself ,an as mention not enough light. Good luck

@kellydans look at yellow leaf in natural light on table… any thoughts on that one?

My apologies for not including other important details. Nutes: Fox Farm Dirty Dozen + the other 4 BushDoctor bottles not included (Liquid Iron, Manganese, Wholly Mackerel and Kelp Me Kelp You). The issue I think I found was I didn’t use Fox Farm soil when I started growing. The bigger plants in the pictures are in a cheap soil. From here on out I’m planning on combining Ocean Forest, Happy Frog and Perlite from Fox Farm. The small plants I have used that method on are already in much better shape (greener and thicker). Lights: Yehsence 1500w w/ both switches on. I’m going to attempt to transplant the plants I don’t have in the Fox Farm mixture to the mixture but in bigger containers since they’ve already been growing for some time (2-5 months).

1 Like

Look into fabric pits (planters) also, they will help a ton with allowing the soil to breathe a little bit more and letting excess liquid run through.

Less likely to drown your plants that way

Do you have a ppm & ph meter? If not grab something up. Amazon has everything from cheap/works to expensive/this thing is spot on!

I agree with @PharmerBob would be a good idea to get a run off to check your numbers and adjust accordingly. Not familiar with light.

I have a pH/Light/Moisture tester from Amazon. Also, just ran a soil test kit from Amazon. When I water the plants with cheap soil water almost overflows the collectors underneath. No water or very little sitting for the Fox Farm.

Strain: White Widow, Blackberry Kush, Bubble Gum, AK-47
Method: Soil
Vessels: 5 Gal. Bucket
Light System: Yehsence 1500w w/ both switches
Temps: Always 65
Dehumidifier available, but don’t feel the need to use it to add electric. Humidity doesn’t seem to be a problem.
No Co2

Get perlite also

Ppm, of solution and run off

Is there adequate drainage from the planters out the bottom?

Size of planters?

Ph of solution added to ph of runoff

@OBTB 65°F is a little on the chilly side.
I would check your PH of your nutrient solution before adding to the soil.
You should check the PH of the water run off.
If it’s a combination light and ph meter it’s not accurate enough. I recommend a ph meter only that is digital.
And as stated a general lack of light. It’ll grow, it just won’t grow well.
I would recommend a tent to prevent unwanted light from coming in. Unless there aren’t any windows in the kitchen area, and nobody turns on a light during lights out.

1 Like

All good advice above. I agree, 65 is about as cool as I’d want them, lights off. While the lights on, your canopy temp should be closer to 75-80, even higher with some LEDs. Yours are actually only 265 watt fixtures, straight from this Amazon description:

“Actual Power Consumption: 265W”

They aren’t bad, but it looks like they’re being stretched to cover more area than they can effectively light. If you can scrunch everything together a little more, and get the fixtures closer to the canopy it will help.

4 Likes

If nothing else lower the light you have some leeway