Discoloration on leaves...variegated leaf?

I have searched for possible “issues” but the closest one (based upon pictures) seems to be “just a variegated leaf.” Which I hope to be the case…is this what you see in the picture? Amnesia Haze auto flower in FFOF 15 days past germination transplant, 75F, 70-80 RH.

1 Like

That is what I see. I have an OG Kush that showed the same. It is growing just fine. In fact it received its first trim today and those leaves were as big as my hand when they were trimmed.

2 Likes

Sorry, been travelling…by myself…no C19 exposure. Thanks for the feedback and encouragement. I can’t get leaves that size…I don’t think My guys are smaller…24-26 inch max height. 18 inches across at maturity. Paying attention to the plants is a daily need I can’t do so I have to shoot for mid-range quality. Uploading some pictures for feedback…LST time…I think. Maybe “crop” the plants…I don’t know.

This is the basic environment with a MarsHydro 2000 TSL. Is it time to flip the light schedule down to 18-6? I doing 24/7 right now at 50%.

Side shots of 2/2.

I am watering currently two cups filtered well water at 70 pH. Three gallon pots. Don’t water again until the soil is dry and there hasn’t been any runoff so far. Can’t check ppms. Leaves look like over/under watering but I can’t tell which…it was fine on my first attempt. Harvest “works” like it’s supposed to work even though you can look at it and know it’s light/airy.

The plants are 5 - 5 1/2 inches tall. Time for LST?

Hey @patchman! Are you around? Would you mind taking a look at this? 12/7 germination straight to large 3 gallon pot. This is my second effort with Amn Hz autoflower.

Dcdick437-
Hey buddy. The girls look pretty good. I think you are ok to switch to an 18/6 light schedule if thats what you want to do. I start mine on 18/6 as soon as they break ground. How far is your light from the girls? The leaves are stretched out good, no real drooping to suggest under watering. There is a touch of yellow on some of the leaves. Not a real problem at this point. What medium are you growing in? That yellowing could be a water issue or a nitrogen issue. I am gonna tag in someone who can give you good advice on LST. @Hellraiser could you give some advice on LST to this grower, and he has a touch of yellow around some of the leaves. I gave some input, but you are the “go to” guy for a lot of issues in growing, which is why I tagged you. If you could help him I am sure he’d appreciate it. The plant in the top picture doesn’t have much space between nodes but the one in the bottom pic has better spacing. I know you don’t want too much spacing. Dcdkk437, I would get yourself a good pH meter, and a tds meter too. You will need them to help you determine how much they are eating, and is the pH at a level where they can get their nutrients. Good luck on your grow, tag me anytime you need me, peace…

2 Likes

Hey, man! FFOF soil. Thought that should carry the plants a good while before adding nutrients to watering regimen. Thanks for the tag.

You are correct sir about FFOF. That could explainthe slight yellow color. It could be a touch of nute burn, bu the plants will overcome that usually. I know some who use happy frog on the upper 1/3 to 1/2, and that seems to help ease the plant into nutrients. And now is the perfect time to get a tds and pH meter. The tds will be able to tell you when the nutes are almost spent, as you’ll see a drop in the ppm’s. Your plant may tell you first, but I would like to know when I need to add nutrients. Good luck- peace…

1 Like

The plants are looking okay. I’d get them on 18/6 or 12/12 if you are worried about electrical costs. It looks like they are starting to preflower. I agree you need to get a good ph meter and a ppm meter. Watering at a ph of 7 could give some lockout in solid you want to be around 6.5. I think you would be okay giving them 3-cups of water at a time. You can start to tie down that main stem to open up some more bud sites to the light any time. Start slow and move it over a few days.

2 Likes

Agreed, I kept my last effort at 6.5 pH…I do think it is better…will need to pH down. Thanks for the data sheet! I have a ppm meter but a slurry would be necessary without runoff. Maybe if I give it one good soaking watering with 6.5 just to test. How about cal/mag? Also, what about trimming and/or “cropping?” Yea/Nay?

Go 18/6 or 16/8 on lights, a night cycle is beneficial to the plant and the microbes in the soil.

I’d give way more water than 2 cups. When I transplant my sprouts from solo cups to 3 gal pots they are smaller than your plants yet I give them a half gallon of water at each watering, With only 2 cups of water, you’re not making all the soil moist and roots won’t venture into dry soil. Time to massively up the watering, I recommend half a gallon ph’d to 6.5 and let the pot get light and dry before watering again, repeat as needed.

2 Likes

I agree with what you say. I find it hard to recommend an amount of water to use and admittedly I am conservative on my watering until they get big. Honestly, it probably hurts my growth and yield a little. I really focus on root health and find when I do that the plant thrives.

2 Likes

That was the way I thought on my first grow…conservative…and the outcome was in the harvest…not that I’m complaining. In this grow one of the plants felt like it had shallow roots when I moved the main stem for LST tie down. That really made me nervous; wasn’t sure if watering conservatively promoted shallow root growth. (I have been transplanting directly into large pots which causes so many questions I cannot resolve having so little experience.) I think maybe next time I will try the smaller pots and “soak” the soil like I’m supposed to for runoff and measuring purposes. Then transplant again to the larger pot… As it now stands I’ve decided to feed the plants using about a quart of nutrient fortified 6.5 pH water then wait till it’s good and dry before next watering. All things considered; this is quite a challenging hobby…I’m enjoying it!!!

2 Likes

Massively up the watering. Somehow, I missed that phrase first time I read this post. I really need to begin watering sufficiently for there to be “runoff” which I have not done…I was not sure how much to give the “baby’s” in this large pot…afraid I might Over water. Thanks for the feed back. I’m feeling more confident about my direction now…

1 Like