Disadvantages of autoflower?

What are the disadvantages of growing autoflower?

2 Likes

They stay short, not quite the yield that you would get from a photo. But I think that’s expected by most auto growers. To me…the drawback is that they flower when ever they want. I’m an indoor grower, indoors where I can be Mother Nature. I control environment, watering, feeding, training, and etc. and with photos I can even control when they flower. Autos will flower when they are ready. Ignore the time frame the breeder or seed bank claims. I’m doing 3 amnesia and 3 dreamberry, all are autos. This is my first grow with autos. I just don’t like the fact I can control everything about that plants life…except when it flowers. I have about 12 more auto seeds and will definelty be using them in the future. But I think down the road I will be switching back to photos. Just my opinion.

4 Likes

i freaking love autos. i have grown both and i dont think you can say one is better than the other. i think you get back what you put in. i will take quality over quantity any day. yay weed!

8 Likes

Depends on what you’re looking for in a plant.
Some autos can get quite large depending on strain.
Only thing I’ve found is you have to be on your game in the first few weeks of veg.
Any deficiencies are transferred into the final yield and growth of the plant.
It’s not unheard of for experienced growers to regularly get 6-8 oz from an auto flower.
I’ll continue to grow both. Love em.
:v::call_me_hand::drooling_face:

10 Likes

@Oldguy made a good point about very important to avoid any issues during veg, or you may see a decline in your harvest. And yes…there are exceptions to any rule, and I myself have seen 5 foot autos. But for the most part they stay under 3 feet. And as @pptrsha1 stated it’s kind of what your looking for. As there is not a right or wrong way when deciding between autos or photos. To me they both have pros and cons. But don’t get me wrong. I have had good grow on my first autos. And they look yummmmmmy! But I’m OCD. I like to be in control and have a plan. I’m a outside blue collar worker and I’m laid off every year for January and February…so I was trying to plan my grows out where I would be starting a new grow around December. I want to try some new things and figured it would be nice to do that when I’m here 24/7 during winter lay off. My breeder said 70-75 days seed to harvest. Today is day 71. One plant will be ready in a week, 3 will be done in about a month, and 2 stubborn girls just now started popping good buttons, so they will be awhile before they are done. It just threw a wrench in my plans. Especially one being done next week and 2 won’t be ready for probably 6 weeks. This will tie my room up and delay me for my next grow. But growing is all about adapting and rolling with the punches. I should have a nice stash of killer buds…so I probably won’t be bitching too much. Lol. Basically after all that rambling…it’s kind of what the grower is wanting and trying to achieve.

7 Likes

Ive done autos for the last year and agree with oldguy, i think a big thing is try not to overwater itll stunt the auto

heres my most recent auto aat 17 weeks

14 Likes

1 advantage, they’ll flower under a 24 hour light cycle. A photo is better at everything else.

1 Like

Very important to get the Autos through seedling stage and veg stage without Any stress . Because they normally have a short veg stage. I like growing Autos in a 5 gallon fabric pot ,ocean forest soil pH water till flowering . Okay disadvantage for autos they can be a little finicky. Also they vary in starting to flower. Personally I like growing both photos an autos.

5 Likes

@Tinman Very nice example of a Auto.

3 Likes

Agree with @kellydans that it is important to not stress the plant early on.
So like many others I soak the seed 24hrs then plant it in its final home.
I have tried starting in solo cups and transplanting and they always stall a bit and then begin to flower while too small. The best plants have been the ones planted directly in 3 or 5 gallon pots.
I add some water to the soil before putting it in the pots so its damp, not soaked, before planting the seed.

2 Likes

Like anything else in growing. Good genetics lead to good producing plants. I have not had a small Auto yet.

1 Like

Unpredictable pretty much sums it up

2 Likes

My 2 cents, I love autos! I also love photos. Both have their place in the cannabis world. I believe that you should at least try them if for no other reason than to expand your knowledge and experience base. As to your question, there are no disadvantages to growing autos. It all comes down to what your goals are.

5 Likes

As a first time grower I did both auto’s and photos together. The auto’s are short but will harvest sooner and allowed me to start a third auto a month ago that should harvest at the same time as the photos. The seedling did just fineon12/12 light and is beginning to flower now. Other than size (could of been my lack of experience) I see no disadvantage of an auto.

2 Likes

i have had autos same strain Blueberry. Some where short and the other tall

2 Likes

I’m blue collar also and I’m planning my next grow for autos because of the season and not working for a few months I love working outside doesn’t matter if it’s sunshine rain snow I love it but it don’t matter if it interferes with work so I like planning ahead I suppose

Most honest comment on this topic imo. Inability to hold onto genetics via cloning is big one for me.

2 Likes

@dbrn32, you shouldn’t clone autos… only photos.

1 Like

Exactly why I listed it under “Disadvantages of autoflower”

3 Likes

Only drawback I see is there is no time to manipulate the plant with trimming/topping.
Although the short time to harvest is a good trade off for the loss. You could finish an auto grow and still have over a month left on photos, if you started at the same time.

2 Likes