Digging up the grave of a seed

I’m currently getting ready for my first ilgm grow w 6 seeds. I soaked the seeds per the germination guide and had great results on 5 of 6. The one giving me trouble is a gorilla glue. The seed was nice and fat. I soaked it for 1 week in water but it never sprouted a tail. It did sink though. Then from the guide I understood it to be after a week tail or not I should plant it. after cruising The Forum today I read about something called scarring your seed to help it sprout a tail. Well I was wondering, can I dig up my seed from its soil, carefully wipe it down, and put a couple of scuffs on the shell from a nail file. Then re soak it for another few days per germination guide? Or since it’s been in the soil should I just leave it in the soil? I mist’d it once today but other than that it’s just been chilling in its soil grave.
Once I get them under the main light I’m going to start my first journal. FYI 3 are from the pop culture mix pack. 1 gold leaf ( she’s struggling though). 1 wicked widow ( gifted to me from a friend). And hopefully 1 Gorilla Glue.
Thanks for your help and time everyone. Have a good afternoon and happy growing. Here’s my little setup with the 5 sprouts and one pot waiting to have a gorilla glue sprout or to be dug back up

Here is a close-up of my little sprouts.

I should note I’m using 2- 2 foot T5 lights.

1 Like

We are all here to support you as you mourn the passing of your gorilla glue

2 Likes

:rose: to GG may u rest in that beautiful garden in the sky

1 Like

Haha I actually laughed out loud when I read that. I dropped another seed last night because I was afraid I messed it up or it may take super long for it to sprout. So hopefully my next little seed gets a tail. I noticed the seed that I dropped last night doesn’t have as thick a shell as the first one. So hopefully it’ll work. Like I was telling my friend with my luck the 2 gorilla glues will probably sprout now and I won’t have enough room.
I’ve had Gorilla Glue in the past and I loved it so I’m super excited to get it in this grow if I can! Want to try ilgm’s version real bad.

Oh gosh. Too funny!!! you guys are at least easing my pain. Now I just have to root for my new seed to sprout a tail hopefully today or tomorrow. Thank you for the replies I appreciate it. For future reference do either of you try that scarring if your seed doesn’t sprout a tail in a week? How did it work?

1 Like

Ive never done it but heard a couple people say so on here. Im not the softest handed guy so thatd be a no no for me

1 Like

Thank you for the response. Yeah I’ve never done it either but I wish I would have thought about it or read about it before I planted my seed last night. I was just afraid after 7 days of soaking that it would start to get funny and wouldn’t have any chance at all of growing. At least I know for next time. Just hoping this new one sprouts a tail. :crossed_fingers:

Think of it this way. If u pop 2 GGs u can keep the strong one

1 Like

Very true. That’s a great point. Thank you for the words of wisdom. I really appreciate the help and advice. :+1:

1 Like

To score the outer surface of old or thick shelled seeds, take an empty matchbox and fold up a piece of 180 grit sandpaper and place it inside the box. Drop your seeds inside and give it a gentle shake for 20/30 seconds, this will gently score the outer shell of the seeds allowing moisture to enter the seed more readily.Good luck with the gg.

2 Likes

Since it’s been so long…wouldn’t hurt any to dig it up and put it on a wet paper towel for a few days.
Might surprise you…

1 Like

Thank you @mountainman1 and @tanlover442. That’s a good point. It probably wouldn’t hurt any just to do it if nothing’s going to happen. I will probably dig it up tomorrow real carefully and then try that Match box method you mentioned. Then I will put it on a wet paper towel. Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the advice. Have a good evening.

1 Like

Very important

1 Like

Always a good idea to have an extra plant. Not all will be strong healthy. Cull the weak, pamper the strong. Try not to get so emotionally involved with the culls. It happens. It’s the way life is.
Focus on the best.

1 Like