Different strains, different grow rates?

I have three strains growing in separate pots, all autos, under good light-- about 2000 watts of light from VIPAR Spectra LEDs for 6 plants, in Happy Frog soil. All are in identical soil, water, and lights. The Northern Lights and Auto Kush are growing like crazy at 3 weeks, with 4 nodes of strong growth. But the White Widows are about a third as tall, and the nodes are very close together, each layer of new leaves almost directly on top of the layer below.

I have grown Northern Light autos from seed several times, but this is my first time with the other strains. Is it typical to have such a big difference between strains? Are White Widow autos typically slower-growing? I’ve wondered, since plants stretch out under low light, if my ‘compressed’ plants are from too much light?

2 Likes

@siggy12

Yeah all strains will grow at slightly different rates and will respond to the environment differently.

I wouldn’t worry at all about it though- tight nodes = denser buds!

3 Likes

Yes there is a big difference in growth rates for different strains. I’ve never grown autos before, but I’m pretty sure white widow grows like crazy I could be wrong. Best fill out a support ticket to be sure. Stunted growth in seedlings is most times a ph issue. But not all ways.

3 Likes

Thanks- I’ll give them time. I got the seeds elsewhere so I wasn’t sure if a support ticket was appropriate. I’ve read different things about light-- that as long as the temp is OK, you can’t have too much light, vs. too much light stunts growth if applied to early. The brightest area under the lights has the least growth, so I wonder if that’s the problem. I have VIPAR Spectra 450 and 600 watt LEDs, then I added the Morsen 1500 watt ‘equivalent’… at the advice of a couple people I had both the veg and flowering switches both on. The Morsen light is very, very bright-- when I first set it up I could hardly look into the tent. Now it doesn’t seem quite as bright, so either it dims a bit or I’m going blind…

The lights cover a 2 x 4 tent, and the plants under the Morsen lights were not doing much- small leaves, short and weak stems-- where the other plants look like they are on steroids. I’ll try to get some photos up. For now I am doing an experiment and moving the plants around to see if they prefer the VIPAR lights, or if it a strain issue.

2 Likes

Sounds like your right about to much light. That’s a lot for small plants. But gonna be great in veg and flower, I’m not sure about leaving both switches on I’ve heated it’s more powerful that way, but I’ve got mars hydro 600w no switch. But it should be fine in a week or two, might be a good idea to turn it off for a bit. I can’t wait to see pics.

2 Likes

@siggy12

It’s ok to post a support ticket even if you bought seeds from elsewhere. The ask is just that you don’t take pictures of any packaging.

A support ticket will be the best way to get an idea of your grow parameters without actually seeing it first hand.

1 Like