Diesel's first scrog

It’s Happening: dropping the two beans today. Just took down 1 plant and moved it to make room in the 2x2. So I placed them in clear plastic cup bottoms. They will soak for 48 hours then be placed in 1 gallon pots. They will stay in those until the other plants are done then will be transplanted into 5 gallon pots and put under the net, but things may change a little. I have heard that by not topping them you can save time overall in a scrog. The whole point of topping it to have the side branches come up and more even, correct? Well if I were to keep the net short around 8 to 10 inches then I could keep the plants spead out without topping. The plants are fairly moldable in veg and could be squished down. At least that’s sort of how I did the scrog that is finishing up now.
@Countryboyjvd1971 @Hogmaster @MattyBear @TDubWilly @WillyJ @Willd and anyone else I forgot

They aren’t in the pots yet. I just wanted to see them in there. I need to raise them up a few inches. I’ll have to find something to prop them up on inside the tent until they get some size to them.

@dbrn32 was wondering what you would think for a 2x2 space that is a primary veg area, but may run autos in it if time permits, you know? So veg and flower would be needed. I’m not looking for right now, but thinking of saving up for one for the 2x2 and if I like it then eventually get one for the 3x3

10 Likes

Nice brother
Basically you can lat train them instead of topping
Topping will help keep plants shorter and wider tho as You already know
The small pots should help as well to control size

4 Likes

They might a little. I believe once I get the system installed they may grow more, but we’ll see. I’m excited for the GDP and BW.

4 Likes

The one gallon pots will definitely keep them small bro until you can get them transplanted that is

1 Like

You could let them grow until you’re ready to use the screen, supercrop them down into the screen and secure the branches where you want them to be.

3 Likes

You know, in the end your going to turn every branch that grows through the scrog over sideways anyways, so whether you wait for the lower branches to grow up or whether you don’t really shouldn’t matter. It just means they will get laid over horizontal several days after the main gets laid over instead of at the same time so it really shouldn’t matter.

I top allot, but I could probably do the same thing in a scrog without topping

7 Likes

U have the most awesome scrog I think I have ever seen. I want to try it with my next photos as well and will b asking your help when time comes if that’s ok. Your pic REALLY impressed me. @TDubWilly

3 Likes

I’ve seen a few random online grows vegging really well with that hlg-65 ($99 complete) in a 2x2. There are a couple members her grabbing them currently to use same way as you described. So we should have a pretty good idea soon how they will do. If not the more powerful quantum boards will definitely get em done. Couple of cob options out there too. But I think that’s a little expensive for primary veg area. Sounds like @MattyBear has parts on order to build a 100 watt similar version for around $100, that he’s gonna flower a 2x2 scrog with. I’m sure he or I can tag you in when it’s together.

I have always been under same impression that letting single top hit net and then training her out worked that way. Nobody here really does it, so I think you should give it a go! I’m switched to watching regardless.

5 Likes

From what I’ve gathered, if you don’t top, you will have one larger, taller cola than the rest. I’m interested to see how it goes if you don’t top. I’ll start a new thread once the light is ready in the 2x2 and I’ll be sure to tag you in bro!

4 Likes

Yeah I was just wondering really. I can’t remember where I saw it. I think I’ll try not topping them this time and next going by the usual script.
@Hogmaster yeah untill they gwt the room in the 5 :joy:
@anon95385719 thank you for the kind words. I think others on here have a better presentation and look way better than mine.
@dbrn32 yeah I’m down for either the qb or what @MattyBear is doing. I think I recall it on his journal.

2 Likes

This is right, but when you lay that one main cola over flat in a scrog then all the other branches get equal opportunity to the light and can grow just as big as that one main cola.

I was talking with @dbrn32 about doing a one cola scrog with a couple different strains in it each just with one cola. I might give it a try.

I’m thinking I will have to prune the hell out of it to keep it as just one cola though. My prediction would be that I’m going to have little branches growing every which direction, and if I don’t prune them to keep the one cola shape, then I might lose some bud size on the main cola, so I will have to probably cut them all off to keep just one main.

I was thinking of doing 2-3 strains side by side at one end of the scrog, turning them over sideways and growing one cola along the script for each strain all about 5’ long…

It’s just in the preliminary stages of planning right now lol

3 Likes

Tag me in when you decide what to do @TDubWilly. I’d love to follow along!

1 Like

You will. And technically speaking, there probably wouldn’t be a whole lot of reasons to even have it in the net. It wouldn’t hurt anything to be in the net, and you could get some bud support out of it. But a bamboo rod or similar may be needed anyway if plant is large enough.

2 Likes

Has anyone ever tried using snow fence for a scrog net? I want to try it but have never scrogged and wondered if the squares are the right size

2 Likes

The only reason it would be in the net is because my grow space is only 5’ tall so unless I wanted to do some elaborate vertical setup with my lights then I figured the net would be the way to go

You are should top when scroging at least once this will help the plant spread outthe idea is to have as many tops so you can fill screen out and bring lower buds up to the canopy level
And again you don’t get full benefit of the technique when doing more than one plant under a screen
You should take your time and tuck tuck tuck
Until screen is about 80% full then switch to 12-12 and keep tucking during the streach
If indoors
Outdoors you tuck until Mother Nature tell your plant to flower and continue to tuck while flowering streach is happening
I filled a 4x8 screen with one plant last summer outdoors

Heres alink to the scrog guide

1 Like

I would want at least 2"sq. for manageability.

1 Like

Squares can be any size you want but I find it easiest when they are smaller than or equal to 4"x4"

The snow fence would work @anon95385719 i use the garden fence myself 2x4 inch openings

1 Like

Single cola scrog…isn’t that just a sea of green?

3 Likes