Didn't calibrate PH meter

So I’ve almost completed my first grow. Cleaning up I found ph buffer packets taped inside the box of the meter. My water was testing 6.01 all good. Now that I calibrated it my water is 7.3. how much negative impact could this have caused? Ya I know common sense should calibrate any and all digital readers

1 Like

How much time left?

1 Like

Pictures? And what he said…

Good luck! And keep’em growin! :point_up_2::+1:t2::v::sunglasses:

1 Like

There is no way for us to know. No pics, we have no idea how or what your growing in, no baseline for what the ph should have been, nothing to work with. Also those packets used to make up ph calibration solutions are not accurate at all. Even worse most people will not mix up the solutions correctly. Even a slight bit of dried soap residue in a beaker if a real beaker was used to make up the solution can foul the solution. Best to always used premade calibration solutions and keep them clean and don’t cross contaminate them.

Your soil should have buffers in it to keep itself in range. While they dont always last as long as we would like youbwould know if there had been a huge problem at this point. Lockout isnt subtle so dont sweat it. @Blastfact is correct about those packets. Ph7 testing solution is cheap and I recommend getting some. Pour a small amount into a bottle or lided test cup your meter fits into and use it a few times then replace. It will last some time.

1 Like

Hey thanks. I was worried about if I would have seen any major change or damage. I’m harvesting today or tomorrow. I used ffof. Im glad to know that I would’ve seen Nute lockout. I’ll get some of that solution to calibrate my tester. Also I’ve read about an ec meter. How important is this?

1 Like

Sorry for double post but. I just noticed you said a lidded jar. I assume you are suggesting to leave the meter in the solution or to store the solution until next use? Thanks

1 Like

For sure. Your plant would cannabilize its leaves to have the nutes that were locked out. The leaves are like emergency food. Plants are excellent “doomsday prepers”. They store it up and only use it if they dont have access. Think fall colors and necrosis :slight_smile:

Ec/tds meter is a crucial tool. From ensuring water is ph stable to telling when its time to feed your plant, even how much your plant is eating. All done with a tds meter. TDS (Total Dissolved Solids) or E.C (Electrical Conductivity) are representations of the same figure.

Ec/tds doesnt require special storage but a ph probe should be stored in storage solution. A good probe will come with a cap that will hold some and cover your probe tip.

The second pic holds both examples of what Im talking about. The calibration fluid goes in the empty bottle your probe fits in it so you can calibrate it then you can cap it off to maintain the solution and retest as needed. And the cap on the ph probe stores the storage fluid only takes a capful and keeps for a coupke to a few weeks as long as your probe is well rinsed before you put it away.

1 Like

Thanks mate!

1 Like

Anytime growmie!