Determining the sex of a Grand Daddy Purp plant

@Myfriendis410, @spyonyou, @Mark0427, @latewood, I started an old bag seed and would like to determine its sex before spending too much time and effort. I have two good clones of it and I read somewhere that I can flip a clone into flower in order to reveal its sex. This is my first grow and wanted advice whether this is a good idea or not, and if there’s anything to be concerned about. Thanks for the help–love all the peeps on this site!

4 Likes

Correct.

7 Likes

Yes drop it in some water under 12 12 now and should start to show sex by the time they get roots going. Keep airstone or something in the water for oxygen

3 Likes

With the caveat: the clone is the same age as the mother plant so if taken too early you will still have to wait until plant matures enough to show sexual differentiation. A clone taken from a sexually mature plant would show up pretty quickly.

4 Likes

Excellent caveat. So, where would you rate this plant on a maturity scale? The seed sprouted on 3/28. The seedling was planted into the net pot on 4/6. Below are a couple of pics just taken. A lot of large fan leaves have been removed in the past two weeks to allow light to the smaller and newer leaves they were shading. The plant is in Hydoton in an RDWC system, 8 gallon buckets. HLG600 Rspec light at 50% and 30” above plant. 4x4 tent. 6” filter and exhaust fan. Heater and humidifier. GH nutrients (6 part). 5.8pH, 69-71 degree water (chilled with frozen 2-liter bottles), EC is 1.2. 18/6 light schedule.

Sorry i did hear this but neglected to mention it. My fault.

2 Likes

I beloeve usuallyyy around 5 or 6 weeks when they show oreflowers i guess theyre called. So prolly around 5 weeks or older from sprout but every plant will differ in ways

1 Like

Looks pretty good for 4 weeks. But six to eight for it to show sex. It might not be worth the effort at this point. Just run it out another couple of weeks and likely you’ll know.

3 Likes

That plant is plenty mature enough to take a couple cutting from. You could flower that plants now, but I know you already have a plan of action. Rooting clones can take the better part of 2 weeks and another 2 weeks you could probably sex it. I totally agree with Myfriend and others advice above. Good luck and Happy growing. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

If you take cuttings now and put them on 12/12 in glass of ph’d water i bet you will see sex in 14 days or less. No need to wait for them to root unless you plan on keeping them. If the clones are taken strictly for the purpose of sexing they don’t really need to root. Just get the info you need and toss them.

2 Likes

Old enough to clone, but why bother? Unless you plan to clone it anyway? It will show sex very soon, probably by the time the clone sets root. It would be faster take clones and flip the mother plant. Then yiu would know faster. However, technically a cannabis plant wont flower until its sexually mature anyway. So…
Now that being said, clones typically dont have the same vigour as seed plants do but hey you could double or triple your plant count right?

@Myfriendis410 , @dbrn32 , @latewood, can you confirm if this indicates a female plant. The picture is of the clone I started from a Grand Daddy Purp plant that I grew from bag seed. The mother plant is still under 18 hours of light while the clone was put in another tent getting 12 hours of light.

1 Like

It’s a female.

3 Likes

Thanks for confirming. Is it possible to put it back in veg or is it too late?

1 Like

You can, with the caveat that you might develop into an hermaphrodite.

2 Likes

100%, as Myfrined siad

1 Like

Also; Already showing trichomes.

1 Like

Sorry I’m late, but its boating season :grin:. Glad the others have you in good shape!

1 Like