Design Input for a First Timer

Hello ILGM friends! I’m a first time grower building a new grow room in a space that used to be a storage area that I walled off and added a door to. The room is 11ft deep, 4ft wide and 8ft high. I’ve sealed the room and painted it. I’ve got a Mini-Split AC unit that will be installed at the back of the room as shown in the photo and I’m planning on using LED lights, but other than that the design is still in the planning stage. I’d love any tips about the best way to finish up the design of the room and how to best take advantage of this space. Thank you for your help!

RoomEmpty|365x500

1 Like

How many plants are you planing to grow.

1 Like

How many to grow is one of the things I’m being indecisive about. I’ve got a bad case of read too much and now can’t make up my mind about anything! :wink: I’ve got AK-47, Chocolope, and Gold Leaf seeds coming and figure I should try to grow 2 of each so there’s backup if I kill some, but I’m totally open to all wisdom from the pros here due to my noobness.

BTW, LOVE your Laughing Man profile pic!

1 Like

Plants
I’d say 5-6 plants. If it’s four foot wide you could use a 2’x10’ area for canopy and leave your self a 2x10 walkway for watering etc

Lights
If your wanting led I’d use 2 HLG 260 xl. I’ll just tell you they are top of the line for several reasons. I’m sure others will come along and tell you hlg or PLC lighting company’s are the best.

Air
What are you plans to exhaust the stale air out and pull fresh air in?

Some other questions so we can help would be;
Are you going to use soil? If so what kind? What nutrient line do you plan on using?

1 Like

Thank you for the tips! 6 plants sounds great since I could grow 2 each of the 3 strains I have coming.

The dimensions of the HLD 260 XLs seem like they’d fit the space really well, a 2x4 flowering footprint is basically perfect.

Air I haven’t figured out yet. I like the idea of the room being totally sealed and adding CO2 via Exhale bags or a tank (I’m lucky enough to have an AirGas location <2 miles away), but I’m not sure if/how well that would work.

I originally was planning on growing hydro ebb/flow in hydroton but then I started to think that was being overly ambitious for a first timer and have started to drift toward soil but I’m still unsure. Same story on nutrients, have read about lots of good lines but no firm thoughts yet.

I would start in soil or coco and learn the plants stages before hydro. Just my .02 on that. You cant seal it, seal it. You need to exchange the air in the room about 3x/minute. It 4x11x8 thats 1056 cfm. Is there outlets and if so how many? What all is on the breaker that controls those outlets?
We can talk about nutes in a second.

1 Like

Lucky to have that much space. My sister would kill me if I took the last bedroom and loaded it up with plants. Its only about 100 square feet.

I could grow 3 massive plants in this space and I do mean massive. Lights is the most important thing to me. :+1:

3 Likes

Cool, I think soil is going to be the safer bet to get started then. The back wall of the room is an external wall so I can do a vent w/ carbon filter on one side of the mini-split and an intake w/ filter on the other side. There are 4 outlets in the room, 2 on the back wall under the A/C and two on the right hand wall. The breaker they’re on only contains lights in a laundry room otherwise. I’m thinking I’ll probably want to get a power conditioner for the room though since my area is prone to brownouts.

1 Like

Welcome!!

1 Like

One day I definitely want to use it to grow some giants. For the first time I figure I should start smaller and with some redundancy for my inevitable mistakes. :wink:

I’d say 4 to 8 plants depending on the size you grow them.

Your dimensions are long and deep, ac on one side should be complemented with a return fan on the other side, inject cold air across the room just above the plants yet below the lights (if possible) and the return fan on the other side at floor level blowing the return across the room below the plants. Air circulation fans added to keep the air moving in and throughout fat moist buds is paramount to keeping mold and bud-rot in someone else’s room!
The pinnacle of production includes CO2 and H2O2 a soil-less hydroponic system, I’ve tried both and outdoors, and all roads led me to the aforementioned.
It’s wise to start in soil, it’s much more forgiving and tolerant to accidents and mistakes, Soil is a chemical fertilizer buffer compared to booting straight up hydro!
I think you’ll do fine due to the fact you’re not afraid to research and educate yourself!
There’s mountains of knowledge to learn in botany and horticulture!
Welcome to the club!

2 Likes

You’ll need to pour on the light (think: double your lighting) or your plants won’t be able to use the extra CO2.

2 Likes

Look at my profile picture. You will see me holding a plant over 7 feet tall. I had to cut the top off so I could get it out of the tent. I can reach 7’6” high which will put the photo in perspective. :+1:

2 Likes

That’s a gorgeous plant! :smiley:

1 Like

You get HLG lights and you can grow massive plants as well. Now the challenge is giving enough nutrients. Practice makes perfect.

I love the challenge of growing monsters. :+1:

2 Likes

Thank you for the tips!

2 Likes

How it turned out:

4 Likes

That looks great to me! I wish I had your space.

1 Like

Nice! did you go with the cloudline exhaust system?

1 Like

Thanks! Yes, I went with a AC Infinity Cloudline 6" fan for input, and an 8" for exhaust. The exhaust line enters through a GHydro carbon filter and then there’s a Vivosun noise reducer after the fan.

1 Like