Dehumidifier suggestions

Hello everyone. I have a question about dehumidifiers. I have been all over the internet reading reviews for dehumidifiers. Instead of reading reviews and getting mixed signals I would like to get some actual feedback from somebody who has a dehumidifier that actually works. I’m on a very tight budget and $100 is probably way out of my range but let’s say I have $100 to spend. I’m hoping somebody on here has a dehumidifier they can say get this one it works great. I’m keeping my fingers crossed. LOL. Thank you everybody in advance for your time and your feedback.

3 Likes

What are you dealing with? How high is it?.
Is your room isolated? Tent? Vents from HVAC?

2 Likes

I forgot to put all that down. The tent is inside my bedroom. I live in a rainy state. Humidity in my tent fluctuates between 45 & 70. LOL. I have a little makeshift clip on fan blowing air in and pulling air out

I would get a 20 pint at the least. For a $100 u can probably get an used one. I got a GE from Home Depot for $160

1 Like

Depending on where you place the meter it can give false readings from transpiration after watering.
Try placing it outside the tent as well as a few places in the tent.
You may find that simply venting the tent better will solve your problem.
70% is actually good during veg stage, but below 60 for flower…
Usually your home HVAC will remove moisture to some degree.
If you do wind up needing a dehumidifier check the amazon reviews. Growers are not shy about posting reviews anymore.

6 Likes

I’ve been all over Amazon reading the reviews. That’s where I’ve gotten frustrated and hoping to find somebody with a dehumidifier they will tell me get this one. You see all these reviews the say all it’s great it’s great it’s great and then you hear about house fires or stop working or starts making noise. Me being a single dad on a tight budget I can’t afford to make $100 mistake. I have three gauges one inside my bedroom one at the top of the canopy and one at the bottom of the canopy best gelato you’ve ever tasted. Bedrooms has 70 top of the canopy fluctuates and so does the bottom. Never below 40 and never above 70. Lately it’s been on an average of 55 to 60. They’re going into flower this weekend so I need to figure this out in the next couple weeks.

2 Likes

Yeah, reviews are like that. Remember that unhappy people are more likely to post a review than satisfied customers. Amazon will let you return defective items as well as walmart. They all use the same thing to dehumidify, a cooling coil that water condenses on. If your central air system is moving air then it wont help much unless you put it in the tent and seal it up, or in the bedroom and shut the vents. If the return air is in the room then you will have a hard time controlling the room.
I deal with about 60% humidity here. I just use fans to keep the air moving and I dont have any mold issues.

2 Likes

This one looks like it would be ok.
https://www.amazon.com/Gocheer-Upgraded-Dehumidifier-Dehumidifiers-Basements/dp/B0874TG3N7

2 Likes

I have no AC in the house. No pressure coming into my bedroom unless I open up my bedroom window. But then it’s 42 degrees outside which would make me have to crank up my bedroom heater. Yes my grow tent is inside of a grow tent. LOL. I have a little dehumidifier inside the tent. If I can get a bigger and decent working one I can put one inside the tent and one inside my room. The one inside my tent poles a little moisture but not much. It’s brought down the humidity 10 or so points.

1 Like

That one doesn’t look so bad. Thank you for the suggestion

1 Like

Dehumidifiers are rated per 24 hours. If you purchased a 70 pint dehumidifier, it removes up to 70 pints in a 24 hour period. I don’t even bother with looking at the square foot rating, which are completely inaccurate.

I recommend getting larger than you need always. I have a 70 pt version, and has taken up to 2 weeks for the humidity to be under control. As you dehumidify the air, wood, drywall furniture all release moisture also. This is why I recommend larger than needed, for best control.

4 Likes

Perfect sense. Also I live in a rainy State :frowning:

I assure you that when I lived in Alaska, and getting over 100 inches of rain a year, that dehumidifier never shut off for 4 weeks straight. @larry1

3 Likes

I got this little guy a couple weeks ago. He hasn’t turned off except for to dump the water. It helps it’s just not enough.

2 Likes

I would recommend a larger one, the humidity should settle, and it should be able to maintain desired RH.

2 Likes

Right. That’s why I was asking for recommendations on a dehumidifier. Cuz my little guy is just not enough.

1 Like

I have 2 of these one in each room 70 pint
In summer have to change it out once a day. This time of the year here I’m adding humidity…
In summer when humid when hps kicks on eats up humidity and this one will work for whole room keeps it at 45-50 ( is where I run it at) 20’x20’ flower room, 8 1000 watt hps…

1 Like

Oh sorry Larry I caught the tail end of your thread on the $100.00 part. This is like $260.00 but when I bought those I researched this one for my basement then bought two more. Anyway I couldn’t locate any 70pint for that price your looking at…

1 Like

No worries. I do appreciate the feedback. I picked up one for a couple dollars more than I wanted to spend but I’m hoping it’ll work. I should know by Sunday if it works or not fingers crossed.

1 Like

Been watching these on ebay. I need one by this summer. Some good deals there I see.