Defoliation: ready to flower. HELP PLEASE

@Covertgrower How much of the foliage would you suggest removing to prepare to flip her? First indoor attempt (was hybrid in/out, but too big to move now). Also, I have two sucker branches at the bottom that have to come off today. Diameter around ¼”-⅓”. How much time do you estimate she will need to recover before cutting light back? I have her in my workroom so I don’t get the grow space messy so I have to figure this out today. Hope I didn’t wait too long and she grows too much.

2 Likes

What medium are you in?

If you want to flip you can flip, if you defloite you will need to wait a couple more days for them to recover before flipping

Watch Kyle kushmans video on YouTube.

Personally I run autos so I Thi k out after the flip as the bud sites fatten its easy to see what you want to thin and what you don’t need to. Goal is to remove anything that doesn’t make it 1/2 way up the plant as well as anything growing Inward as well as anything blocking a bud site

2 Likes

@Nicky Thanks :pray:t3:. I have indeed watched most of his vids a while back (very knowledgeable grower). I was more or less asking about the growth that fills in between the upper leaves along the branch. Basically where the colas will be. Will thinning this promote bud growth or no? I am growing in Nature’s Living Soil (bottom 1/3) and FFOF (rest of pot).

1 Like

I recommend cleaning up the bottom 1/3 of the plant.
I recommend cleaning up the fan leaves mostly. They’re the first to go.

2 Likes

Well your in soil so then be careful how much you trim at once you get into flower but if it’s a photo period then I would go ahead and trim it up good now so you don’t have to do as much when in flower. Being in soil your more likey to stunt or herm the plant once in flower if you get to aggressive.

Go through and watch the Kyle kushman Chiropractic again then just swing for the fences.

@Covertgrower Thanks bro. I appreciate the help. :pray:t3:

1 Like

@Covertgrower @Nicky @dbrn32 @CoyoteCody How does this look for a cleaned up plant? I am set to veg when she recovers from the defoliation and the pruning of the two bottom branches (NOT the two that are still there in pics. The ones I’m referring to are already GONE).
Also… some crispy tips that resemble nute burn came up super fast today. Within a few hours it seemed. Is she stressing the new light (it’s hanging plenty high for a 135w light (20”+), the defoliation, and the pruning of the branches, do you think? I gave her a gallon of water with just some Cal-Mag+ since the leaves felt a bit dry and the top couple inches of the soil was just between dry and damp. Here are some pics of the cleanup. Satisfactory?

I know it looks like a clusterf#€k at the bottom, but I DID manage to save the plant with all that surgery!!! :joy::joy::joy:

3 Likes

Looking better.
Take a couple more, Remeber you want to let the bud sites see light and your leafs are going to grow back for a while yet.

Yelllow is future bud sites so remove the red leaf. Marks.
Then we will wait till buds start to form decently and do it again.

1 Like

@Nicky Thanks a ton! Off to pull some more leaves! Lol

@Nicky I just went and pulled more leaves. What do you recommend after this much stress? More light or a slightly longer dark period? Or neither? When does she recover from it all? Here are some pics. The angle probably makes some sites appear covered when they aren’t. Thanks again :pray:t3:

2 Likes

Much better, yeah as long as the sites are clear for the light to enter then your good.

Looks good.
Wait until you ntocie it growing again. You have a picture reference so wait 4 days and take another picture.
Tag me and we will probably be ready to flip but let’s see first.
Ps same light scedule and environment controls

1 Like

Looks good to me.

2 Likes

Looking good

2 Likes

@Covertgrower @dbrn32 @Nicky Here are some recent pics of what I woke up to today. All I did yesterday was water a gallon approx. but nothing else. What could the burnt tips (starting from the bottom) and curling up at the edges be? I would rather let someone see pics than try to diagnose on Google.

The last three are of tops that are fine. Weird.

2 Likes

So minor I woild see if it progresses.
Just check your ussuals.
Run off TDS and PH, temp humidty/vpd
Airflow. Etc

3 Likes

I agree, nothing i would be terribly concerned about as they sit.

4 Likes

@Covertgrower Do you know of anyone off the top of the dome who uses/has used ff Sledgehammer? I was thinking of running some of that through but she lives in a 10-gal fabric pot. I have to get my water from the refrigerator because I need to get an RO system, so using even one gallon takes about a couple minutes (easy) to fill. I’m not sure of the water volume or amount of product that is called for in such a large container? If you know of anyone, please let me know if you get a moment. Thanks again brother. You’ve been very helpful :call_me_hand:t3:

I’ve used FF sledgehammer, and it works by helping flush excess out. You’ll want to refer to instructions, because it’s been a minute, but I recall it doesn’t take much.
It also makes soil less hydrophobic if added in small amounts.
To flush You’ll want to use twice the amount of water per your medium size. (5 gallon container, 10 gallons of water)

Hope this helps. Tag me any time with concerns. Happy to help.

1 Like

@Covertgrower DAMN!!! 20 gallons! Needs to be pH’d too huh? Got another question for ya while I got your ear: I am trying to get my feeding schedule planned out so flowering can go as smooth as possible, considering the fact that I am growing in a NON-temperature regulated room in the DEEP South. I plan on using the 3 FF solubles: Open Sesame, Beastie Bloomz, & Cha Ching, plus Bushdoctor (BD) Kangaroots, Microbe Brew, & Bembé. Also Sledgehammer and Flowers Kiss as necessary along with Cal-Mag+ and Grandma’s Molasses since the bottom third of my grow medium is Nature’s Living Soil, which is RICH in microbes. Should I use any of the FF Trio in conjunction? Basically… I need guidance from anyone who can help with the three soluble flowering nutes, as well as what to use in conjunction with them. @dbrn32 @Nicky @AfgVet @Eagles009 @Jackie_Daytona @CoyoteCody @BobbyDigital @Bulldognuts

*** This is the FF feeding schedule as recommended. I feel like this is WAY TOO HOT for a plant that lives in FFOF & Nature’s Living Soil. Especially since almost everyone says to use 1/2 dosage as the upper end. I don’t want to feed a solution that is too many ppm, especially since I am not as well-versed in ppm as you guys are. With all the micro-helpers and worms in my soil, she isn’t nearly as sensitive to pH ranges as most plants. However, I try to pH it correctly so as not to stress the system. Any help is greatly appreciated :pray:t3:

1 Like

If your living soil is rich you shouldn’t need all that other stuff. You could use the dry solubles for PK boosts come flower. Just a heads up on that chart, fox farms Ppms are on the 700 scale. A lot of our meters are on the 500 scale. I adjusted this chart to reflect Ppms for 500 scale meters. I would check your meter to see what scale it’s on.

4 Likes