Defoliation question at 21 days flowering

Excellent job I would only take leaves now that are covering bud sites till you get to 6 weeks

1 Like

I run 2 of those for 3 plants usually. It is not the best but it gets the job done. For one plant you should do pretty good on yield. Hate to speculate but I would expect 1/4 lb or more from that one plant.

4 Likes

For one plant, in the center & directly under the light, it should do an adequate job. If you need to fill it wall to wall it will probably come up on the short end.
Stripping a plant down that far is rather intimidating but it looks like you did it well. The main thing going forward is keeping bud sites exposed to the light. You either tuck or remove obstructing leaves. Otherwise, let it ride.

1 Like

Wow looks like a different plant, I think U did a great job. That should really help out. Please let other chime in before you do anything I’m no pro and would to mess anything up. Look at the pic u took looking down at your plant. Any small bud sites that are being block by bigger buds you might think about taking off as well. Your flowers will only get bigger and the ones are the bottom will suck up nutes that the bigger would need. The way I look at it would you rather 10 fat dense buds, or 20 small ones. Please let others chime in before you do anything. So not the best pics but hopefully I get the ideal

3 Likes

Not sure if this helps, but these are the ones I would remove. Opening up the tops below them.

7 Likes

Thank you!

@beardless @HMGRWN

Thank you. If I were to step up my light game what would be my next move? One more TS 1000? Something else? Would it appreciably improve my yield if I had more light firepower the 2nd half of flowering? I don’t need the densest buds in the world but trying to not have them too airy/fluffy which (from what I read) happens with a mediocre amt of light.

This helps greatly. Thank you for the illustration. I’m going to get to work on those leaves.

1 Like

Good question to ask. @dbrn32 will have better advice than me.

Timing the harvest and curing are important also.

2 Likes

This would probably be your cheapest next move. Mars stuff isn’t as good as they advertise it to be either. Plenty of better lights available, you’re just not going to find them cheap on Amazon. I do believe that doubling up on what you have would make significant improvement for now. But if you stick with growing also won’t be the last light you buy. And I would hate to see you invest money into something that isn’t for the long haul.

8 Likes

I think dbrn32 has it covered regarding another TS1000. I am a fan of HLG, Horticultural Lighting Group.
Power wise a comparable HLG fixture is it 150 watt model 135. After 10% DUDE discount it is $151. No brainer when compared to Mars Hydro
A step up the HLG food chain is its new line of quantum boards. This has 200w and is only 7x12"

4 Likes

Thanks for this. I removed all of what you suggested and then a few more leaves that were covering some bud sites.

5 Likes

Thank you. Going to look into HLG. If I were to run just a single light in my 3x3 tent (1-3 plants) is the 135W model you suggested from HLG sufficient or should I go crank up the wattage to something bigger.

Don’t want to go unnecessarily big for a small growing space such as mine but want to get up there.

I’m leaning toward just bitingthe bullet and getting a better light now rather than just anotherTS1000. Thank you.

2 Likes

The HLG 135 is a very nice light but it is underpowered for a 3x3 it is more suited to a 2x2 space. Likewise the 200 Diablo is for flowering a 2x2 space. that is why I was thinking of using both lights. I have a 3x3 and use in essence two lights. A Kind and also four photo boost strips from Pacific Light Concepts totaling 450w

Many around here with a 3x3 will even put two HLG 260’s in there. For a single light many use the 300L Rspec.

2 Likes

I concur, 260 kit or hlg-300 better option for 3x3.

3 Likes

@beardless

Thanks for saving me a lot of time on the light research front. Just ordered the HLG 300L rspec.

5 Likes

Thanks @Kingkupa. This plant is a thing of beauty. How long did you veg that one for?

1 Like

It was a GSCX auto I think it went around 16 week from sprout to harvest. Now I didn’t plan for it to end up like that, just slowly would take a few leaves off, when I would feed over weeks, and that’s how she ended up. Here’s a pic of the other two I had all the same thing. I used fuzzy pipe cleaners to LST and would do a little by little. I’m still to scared that I would break something so do a little at a time. I enjoy growing I have some health issues and had to stop smoking and eating edibles. This is my zen, my hobby. I have fun with it,

9 Likes

Hi Everyone. I got my HLG 300 in the tent about a week ago and everything seems to be going well.

Im now at day 36 of flower (since flipping to 12/12). Starting to get leafy again…

I understand it’s quite common to do a defoliation at days 21 and 42. As I’m approaching day 42 would love any guidance on how many of the fan leaves to take off?

All of them? 80%? Should I do it now or wait until next week?

Also, I had what looks like a little nute burn on my leaf tips so I haven’t used Jacks the last 2 waterings (watering every 3 days or so). Should I start w the Jacks again or wait a bit longer?

Thanks for all your help.

@Stonedrus @HMGRWN @dbrn32 @beardless @Kingkupa @Chasfitter @JaneQP

6 Likes