Defoliation help

Hi everyone been 24 days since i flipped and i did my first attempt at defoliation on day 21… didnt want to cut to much and kill the plants but i feel like i can trim a lot more. so since day 21 i trim a little here and there to play it safe … would ove to hear what ya think… can i do more

2 Likes

3 plants but all look the same so i didn’t add a pic

1 Like

I prefer to leave fans left all the way through. Just clean worthless inside and at bottom. I am in the fans feed flowers camp. I personally would focus on letting the solar panels left do thier job. Plus i also let the plant eat its fans just me. Many styles.

2 Likes

I mainly did the ones that are blocking bud sites

1 Like

These will get fat. Only pulled yellow dead leaves since flip and trim.

Living soil.

1 Like

Nice looking plants

1 Like

Buds don’t use light.

1 Like

Oh… i assumed they did

1 Like

The sugar leaves on buds will use them, but the sugar leaves are very small. Plants use the leaves (and light) to manufacture the sugars a plant needs to grow. Plants will shuttle the sugars around where they are needed in the plant via the stem system.

4 Likes

Here is a great source for info.

A common reason people defoliate is the reasoning that “The plant will focus its energy on growing buds”
But look at any journal where someone radically defoliates (lollipopping) and watch the next couple weeks of updates and the plant will have replaced all its leaves. So where I ask did the plant concentrate its energy? Good advice from the other posters. Keep it open for airflow and leave the sugar factories (Leaves) to do their work as much as possible. The food we give the plant is only the raw ingredients for the complex foods produced in the leaves. University studies of defoliation on farm crops have shown defoliation in small amounts has no effect but when done in excess always has a negative effect. But this is what I have learned and believe. I know some will disagree and will still pull off every leaf.

2 Likes

I usually take off everything from bottom 1/3 of plant to give the top area the energy to grow like big girls.

3 Likes

When is the last time i can trim?try it out on my next grow to see if there’s any difference

Oh… learn something new