Defoliation during flower

I’ve got a great healthy grow going on and I would like to discuss some of the pros and cons to defoliation.

This is an Animal Cookie clone that I’ve scrogged. She is at the end of week 3 day 21 of flower and she is looking great. As you can see from the pics below I did a good job of cleaning all the lower branches. But at what point, if at all, do I defoliate. There are lots of smaller buds that are quite shaded. This strain grows really long leaf stems so it making for a tangled mess in the canopy.

Defoliate? Or let her do her thing?

!
20190504_203746|690x387

1 Like

Take the ones that are blocking alot of the bud sites also will help with airflow.

1 Like

I would trim the big fan leaves up towards the top. U have good development going on so I would just take some here and there.

1 Like

Do an internet search of schwazzing and be prepared to dive off the deep end.

4 Likes

@Botcan I defer this question to the defoliation master. lol. @MattyBear

You should defoliate enough so that each flower cluster has breathing room, and it allows some better light penetration. Anything down below can be cleaned up to bare stems. Or you can let them ride.
How’s the smell? I have seeds of AC in the mail, and I grew both of the parents of AC.

1 Like

Personally, I would take any fan leaf that has a protruding stem easy enough to snip off. I just did some pruning in one of my flower tents. I do it at the end of the stretch, or around week 3-4 of flower.

7 Likes

Have any pictures of this by chance just so we can see the after results? Thanks!!

1 Like

Defoliation seems to be a matter of personal preference.
In a scrog I eventually take everything off below the net. Nothing above it.
Growing “au natural”, I trim off most everything 6"-10" above the soil, and any tiny shaded buds. Other than that I just let it ride.

1 Like

Need more pics

Thanks for tagging the expert lol

The smell is great. Not sure how to describe it, but much different than the white widow in my last grow.

1 Like

Week 3 and 4 eh wow. Should I defoliate in a couple different sessions, or take them all off the at once.

It would be great if you can find a before and after shot. But I’m pretty sure I get your drift, I’m just too chicken to take the leap hahaha

1 Like

This is what I was planning on doing, but I’m willing to try if it will increase my yield.

1 Like

Thanks @MattyBear I see what you mean now. I’m gonna give it a try.

1 Like

I gave it a major defoliation last night, but still have lots to come off. I figured I’d do it in two sessions, since it took me 2 hours to trim what I did haha

Hardly looks like I did anything in the pics, but she alot more open now and lots of light reaching the lower buds.

20190506_200755
20190506_220601
20190506_200809

1 Like