Defoliating Autos

My girls are a bushy mess and I’m not sure if it is ok and what I would trim away. They are just over 4 weeks and been in flower about a week.

2 Likes

Been flowering for a week? I trimmed all the fan leaves growing toward my zkittlez auto plant and she’s doing fine.

Try some LST to open her up. Spread the side growth out and pin or tie them down then bend the main over in a direction that doesn’t have any growth below it and tie it off. This will help with air flow and light penetration. Tight node spacing can generally be related to the light too close :love_you_gesture:

3 Likes

That looks just like my lemon og auto after i topped her, just trim the leaves from the underside and dense inside and be careful not to take off a branch but if you do its just another top anyways lol ( heres a pic of her when we cut her)

3 Likes

Hey I tied down a lot more of the tops and branches, but it’s like every time I open the tent there are more springing out lol. Her growth is vigorous, just not very vertical. I’m sure if I wasn’t lsting her nodes would be pretty tall. Here are some recent pics after I lady’s some more branches. And the undergrowth I should be trimming, do I trim just the fan leaves?

1 Like

Personally, I would cut anything touching the soil, anything under the canopy that isn’t getting light, and start from the bottom and start taking off anything that’s unnecessary. Your goal is to force the plant to expend it’s energy on the colas at the top, and not on the tiny stuff that grows underneath

2 Likes

Until my girls are definitely In flower I tie the branches down and tuck those leaves down. I use bigger leaves to support the new apical tips. It’s also pretty cool to see how fast these plants grow from day to day. It’s a balance of a bushy kola plant or a one big kola. (Bushy is better) when my pot is full of bent branches it’s usually 4-5 weeks. Stop lst and start freeing them to fatten. I pop off any leaves that are not green. And any leaves that interfere with light getting below. By that time the big leaves will be gone.

1 Like